Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt vs. Aero Half Belt sizing question

hungapotamus

New in Town
I'm sorry to clutter the forums with another Aero sizing question but mine is very specific.

I have a Simmons Bilt jacket size 40 that fits well but I'd like my next jacket to be a T-shirt fit if you will. I just purchased an Aero 50s half belt (I think) that's a size 36 (!) but I had the seller double check and remeasure so it seems like it "should" work for me.

Simmons Bilt size 40 dimensions:
-Chest: 22"
-Shoulder: 18.5”
-Sleeve: 24.5”
-Back Length: 24”
-Front Length: 25"
-Bottom Opening: 20.25"

Aero Half Belt size 36 dimensions:
-Chest: 53.5 cm (21")
-Shoulder: 46 cm (18")
-Sleeve: 62 cm (24.4”)
-Back Length: 60 cm (23.6”)
-Front Length: unknown (1-2" drop?)

I can comfortably layer a sweatshirt under the Simmons Bilt and it feels like there's excess material under my armpits.

First - are these 2 jacket patterns even a good point of comparison?

Second - what do you guys think? Will the Aero work for me?

I can still cancel the Aero since the back length and sleeves were a bit off in the sales listing.

PXL_20240201_045839256~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240213-151731.png

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think dropping sizes to get a slimmer fit is usually not going to get you there, like people who downsize the boxy Highwayman just end up with a weirdly-shaped jacket. You need a jacket that's supposed to be that slim.

Your jacket above is a CHP. If you get a slim pattern (like 1930s half belt or Premier Highwayman) in a 40, it'll wear slim. I don't think you can really compare across jacket types.

The pattern has much more to do with it than raw measurements, as I keep telling people here.

I have jackets with the same PTP where one is a shirt fit and the other can accommodate wearing a suit underneath.

Aloysius

Yes, the sizes do differ across the two, which it seems originated as an attempt to distinguish similarity with the "borrowed" patterns.

It's switched directions though; they used to be much smaller than tagged, now it's 22" hems on a size 38 cross-zip.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I think dropping sizes to get a slimmer fit is usually not going to get you there, like people who downsize the boxy Highwayman just end up with a weirdly-shaped jacket. You need a jacket that's supposed to be that slim.

Your jacket above is a CHP. If you get a slim pattern (like 1930s half belt or Premier Highwayman) in a 40, it'll wear slim. I don't think you can really compare across jacket types.

The pattern has much more to do with it than raw measurements, as I keep telling people here.

I have jackets with the same PTP where one is a shirt fit and the other can accommodate wearing a suit underneath.
This exactly.
If you want a Tee-shirt slim fit consider a Board Racer, or slighty looser, a 4-pocket Cafe Racer.
The 30's Half-belt is notably slimmer than a 50-half belt, however Aero do a slim-fit as a Premier 1930's Half Belt. Details here: https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/mens/premier-1930s-half-belt/mto059

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I disagree to some extent with what’s been said before:

- Aero‘s 1950s patterns run big, so I always size down one to achieve a fitted look. The pattern easily forgives that without appearing like a „naturally oversized pattern bought too small“.

- SB generally run a bit larger than Aero‘s 1930s styles. This is merely a rule of thumb, but it worked fine for me in the past.

If you want to achieve a more fitted look than your current SB, I’d say an Aero 1930s is already a bit trimmer and going down a dull size (or two for the 1950s HB) may be a bit of a gamble. I say this also because your SB already looks pretty slim for this pattern.

Generally speaking, your looking at numbers that can work for you, and I don’t think the 1950s pattern will be a problem.

newtojackets

Practically Family
With the premium models, yes. Because they are slim by design.
In my experience even the slim Aeros still have pattern issues which don’t provide a shirt fit. Also definitely not in chromexcel which is too stiff for the shirt fit- you might have better luck with some of the other leathers

Aloysius

In my experience the aero pattern and stiffness of CXL makes the jacket stiff. It doesn’t drape like a ‘racing shirt’. My brooks cafe racer fits much more like a racing shirt than my Aero Board Racer did

Sounds like CXL is what you're talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn