Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking jacket advice

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Hello to all!
Have a leather jacket question for fellow afficianados: in the market for a new jacket, have narrowed down the field to a choice between the Aero 'Bootlegger' or the Lost Worlds' 'Ryder'. Anyone here have any experience with either?
Your input is much appreciated.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well, as far as styling goes, the Aero Bootlegger is pure '30s Biker- the Lost Worlds Ryder is more generic in styling- widely (and in many cases, badly) copied in contemporary styles.
The Aero is more "vintage classic" and the price is justified in the market of top grade vintage leatherwear. Lost Worlds tend to not have such a vintage fit and the styling as well as the quality can be inconsistent. Lost Worlds are "over-engineered" in his own words(I think) and sometimes just too heavy to be comfortable. Either way you go- be sure to get accurate measurements for shoulder, chest and sleeve- don't just go by tag size. Aero are helpful in this respect. I have owned jackets from both suppliers and I don't think you'd be disappointed with their product. There isn't really any comparable manufacturer of quality, wearable, vintage styled horsehide(and other hides) around. I think the Aero jackets in horsehide may even be a little cheaper than Lost Worlds horsehide offerings. I can't get on to the Aero site right now...
I don't know where you are but I believe Aero offer discounted s/h to the USA at present. Don't forget to check out their "sale" pages.
Good luck,
BT.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice. You definitely seem to know the field- which is exactly what I was looking for.
I do have a couple of more questions/observations:

1)You seem to be right about Lost Worlds' inconsistency. Careful examination of the pictures on their website makes even pictures of the exact same style of jacket look different.

2)I'm a little concerned about the fit of the 'vintage' fit of the Aero only because I'm over 6 ft. and have pretty broad shoulders. Aero does ask if you want their 'relaxed' fit- I'll ask them about that.

3) I'm leaning toward the Aero 'Bootlegger' because I thought the diagonal zipper looked pretty cool and I liked the slash breast pocket. Are these pretty consistent 'vintage' features?

4) You seem to have a pretty good knowledge of this, so I'll ask: What's a good reference for vintage motorcycle/aviator jackets? Something with pretty good illustrations.

Thanks again for your help!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hey Flitcraft, well to answer all your questions, firstly check out this one>

http://www.vintagemotorcyclejackets.com/prices.htm

...these are motorcycle jackets from the '30s up- see the details/styling for yourself. I can't think where the hell else you can get quality, vintage style leather from apart from leather. You know how that Lost Worlds guy goes on, and on, and on... about his ethics and everything else from homosexuality to goats in describing his product?- Well what about his web site? How's that for æsthetic??? Give you a clue. He says he tries to capture "the spirit", "the nuance" but unfortunately he doesn't- he catches the snot and the nonsense .Aero do it better. And you're right- compare an original Buco to his copy- it doesn't have the same feel- and some of his own designs... they should be shot- put out of their misery. ...All my feeble opinion however no matter how scathing yet believable it is...
For the correct fit for YOU- speak (...at least via email)to someone at Aero about your specific worries/issues and be certain that everything's sorted out- basically, place your order by 'phone if possible or email with all the specifics nailed out- it's a long way from the US(if you're in the US that is.)
I personally like the Bootlegger too, it's a classic vintage biker style but obviously pre-dating the proverbial, black "W" style bYker jacket. Brown is a nice colour for it- black's just a bit black in my opinion (oh yeh, I have a lot of opinion...)... yeh, brown horsehide- nice. But just plain brown horsehide and not any special effect stuff. Get a few swatches from them before you commit- take your time, it's an investment- they'll still be there in 2 weeks.
And- most of all- don't listen to me.

Thanks for your time,
BT.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Hey thanks for all the info.
The link is a very cool bonus- I could blow some serious cash there!

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head with Lost Worlds. The main reason I was hesitant to order from the guy is because his site is so weird and he goes on and one about stuff, but doesn't really say anything.
The Aero site was much more straightforward and I checked out their eBay store and they have a great feedback rating.

I like some of the Lost Worlds stuff, but the website is definitely off-putting.

Not to pester you further, but if I do end up ordering from Lost Worlds, are they generally pretty good to deal with?

Thanks again, and in advance!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've never actually bought "new" from LW but the guy has a wide reputation as being cranky and taking any comments very personally. The Aero eBay auctions are conducted by their US representative Mark Moye- I believe his contact information is on the auction pages. I guess those eBay auctions are good PR and a good point of contact- not necessarily intended as an actual auction.
He (M.Moye) has gained a considerable positive reputation due to his treatment of customers and might be a good point of liason when giving your measurements, requirements and potential concerns. Let me know if you go that route...
Aeros site should be back up later today- probably weekend maintenance.
BT.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Muchas gracias, amigo!
Your info was verrrry helpful. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I had been leaning toward the Aero 'Bootlegger' anyway, so I'll definitely e-mail them. I think I'll try Mark Moye first and see how that goes.
Thanks again!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
If you do speak(or email) M.Moye, please tell him "Martin" sent you.
Good luck and I hope it all turns out well. When you're "fussy" and particular and have sizing issues, etc. and are after more than the malls can offer , it's quite easy to be disappointed but from my experience with Aero, they're the most
detail conscious and accomodating I've found so far. Your jacket may end up being a custom job if the regular sizes won't work. Again, make sure you make plain all your needs and potential problems- and get some leather swatches if possible, so there are no surprises. The Bootlegger style looks really nice in brown- and horsehide would be my choice, although a little more expensive.
It might be better to go through Mark than direct with Aero, since you're in the US(I think you are...) and Mark can give you more personal service- keep you updated.
Check this out>

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=142228&

-see what you think.
BT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff