Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it!

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
My wife just walked up and asked, "Did you see that someone has made a musical out of "Twelve Angry Men"?
I had to check. An opera, well, OK, maybe, but a musical!?
I can see the ad now: "All singing! All dancing! A rollicking experience!"
You might as well make a musical out of the trial of Eichmann!

Lest anyone think this is a late April Fools joke, here's the link to the trailer:
Twelve Angry Men, the musical trailer

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My wife just walked up and asked, "Did you see that someone has made a musical out of "Twelve Angry Men"?
I had to check. An opera, well, OK, maybe, but a musical!?
I can see the ad now: "All singing! All dancing! A rollicking experience!"
You might as well make a musical out of the trial of Eichmann!

Lest anyone think this is a late April Fools joke, here's the link to the trailer:
Twelve Angry Men, the musical trailer
If you can make a hit musical out of Shakespeare, as in: West Side Story, a re-telling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. What's to stop you from doing it to a courtroom drama? Courtroom is wrong it's the room where the jurors deliberate.

There again, who would have thought that Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, could be put to music? Book writer Joe DiPietro looked to Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night when selecting a plot that could link together songs made famous by Elvis Presley in this jukebox musical, "All Shook Up," which premiered on Broadway in 2005. It was short-lived though.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
If you can make a hit musical out of Shakespeare, as in: West Side Story, a re-telling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. What's to stop you from doing it to a courtroom drama? Courtroom is wrong it's the room where the jurors deliberate.

There again, who would have thought that Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, could be put to music? Book writer Joe DiPietro looked to Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night when selecting a plot that could link together songs made famous by Elvis Presley in this jukebox musical, "All Shook Up," which premiered on Broadway in 2005. It was short-lived though.
Shakespeare can be reworked as with Romeo&Juliet and Richard III; but, he like Fitzgerald with Gatsby has inherent limit similar to Hugo wherein concept pales fronting truthful reality.
Hugo couldn't place his plot for les miserables during the five year revolution with its Reign of Terror; anymore than the Enlightenment could rationalize it apologetically or excuse it away.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
That was a great movie. It’s among the few Mel Brooks efforts from that general timeframe that maybe, just maybe, might get made today. (The only one, really.) I hear the much more recent Broadway take on it was a hoot, too.
It was redone about 20 years ago with Nathan Lane in the Max Biyalistock role and Matthew Broderick covering for Gene Wilder.
Skip if if you have the chance and stick with the original movie.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Shakespeare can be reworked as with Romeo&Juliet and Richard III; but, he like Fitzgerald with Gatsby has inherent limit similar to Hugo wherein concept pales fronting truthful reality.
Hugo couldn't place his plot for les miserables during the five year revolution with its Reign of Terror; anymore than the Enlightenment could rationalize it apologetically or excuse it away.
Who would have thought that the murder/attempted murder of US Presidents could be turned into a musical?

Assassins is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and a book by John Weidman, based on an original concept by Charles Gilbert Jr.

Using the framing device of an all-American, yet sinister, carnival game, the semi-revue portrays a group of historical figures who attempted (successfully or not) to assassinate Presidents of the United States and explores what their presence in American history says about the ideals of their country. The score is written to reflect both popular music of the various depicted eras and a broader tradition of "patriotic" American music.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Who would have thought that the murder/attempted murder of US Presidents could be turned into a musical?

Assassins is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and a book by John Weidman, based on an original concept by Charles Gilbert Jr.

Using the framing device of an all-American, yet sinister, carnival game, the semi-revue portrays a group of historical figures who attempted (successfully or not) to assassinate Presidents of the United States and explores what their presence in American history says about the ideals of their country. The score is written to reflect both popular music of the various depicted eras and a broader tradition of "patriotic" American music.
I hasten to posit vindictive cause as altogether different thesis irrelevant purely objective
artistic focus germane on-or-off Broadway or our famed West End. Shaw and Chesterton serve bookend frame for common sense application of historical events real or imagined.
An examine of Celine with Joyce for Nobel laureate; or perhaps Oppenheimer more recently
lends subjective focus if so desired. IF Stone's The Trial of Socrates is the book to read for dispassioned peruse subject of deliberate intent assassination not Weidman's silly caustic.:)

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Lest anyone thing this thread is only about theater, here's another one. A few months back I had run out of shaving cream. (Don't let the beard fool you, I shave my throat and cheeks daily.)

So I went to a nearby location of a national chain drug store, looked up at the aisle signs and walked over to the shaving section. As I was scanning the shelves looking for my preferred brand, I spotted these. I have to say that I started laughing. "Gob smacked" may not be overstating it.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes ...

IMG_0768@0.5x.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Lest anyone thing this thread is only about theater, here's another one. A few months back I had run out of shaving cream. (Don't let the beard fool you, I shave my throat and cheeks daily.)

So I went to a nearby location of a national chain drug store, looked up at the aisle signs and walked over to the shaving section. As I was scanning the shelves looking for my preferred brand, I spotted these. I have to say that I started laughing. "Gob smacked" may not be overstating it.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes ...

View attachment 613360
Just when you think that you had seen it all.

top cock.jpg

Gotta wonder what’s in those concoctions Kilo November mentioned that isn’t in other products with much lower prices.

I‘m a largish fellow with lots of body hair who finds real value in tolnaftate-containing sprays and powders, especially in the warmer months, when fungus can really take hold in those moister places.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn