Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up

thor

Call Me a Cab
Don't fighter pilots have similar regs regarding that? or are they allowed to do as they please?

If you look closely at the photos you can see wear on the shoulders and cuffs, plus the knits are torn in a few places. It's definitely a jacket which has some miles on the clock.
In WWII, RAF fighter pilots left the top button of their tunics unbuttoned to signify their status. Also there is the oft-mentioned red silk lining of an A-2 jacket for USAAF fighter aces. I think fighter pilots always distinguished themselves, one way or another.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hehe, yeah fighter guys always tend to be (and are unofficially allowed to be) a little flamboyant. Hence such things like wearing your polo shirt under your flight suit that was popular in the '80s.

Spec Ops guys I think tend to be even more "outside the box" in what they wear (Oakleys, bandanas, non-spec boots, etc). I think the "Top Dogs", self declared or otherwise always exhibit a bit more flair. I'm thinking old cavalry units, the Persian's "Immortals", etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Hehe, yeah fighter guys always tend to be (and are unofficially allowed to be) a little flamboyant. Hence such things like wearing your polo shirt under your flight suit that was popular in the '80s.

Spec Ops guys I think tend to be even more "outside the box" in what they wear (Oakleys, bandanas, non-spec boots, etc). I think the "Top Dogs", self declared or otherwise always exhibit a bit more flair. I'm thinking old cavalry units, the Persian's "Immortals", etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, fighter guys have the same regs, they just don't always follow them. You are correct, the SPEC OPS guys do their own thing. No one ever really questions them because a lot of people don't really know what they do. So if they are wearing non-issued/non-regulation gear, people tend to think they must need that gear for what they are doing. Besides, those guys always get the latest and greatest gear that the rest of the Fleet doesn't get issued.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Not to get off topic, but I remember watching a PBS show on the SEALs and they wore civilian jeans in Viet Nam, claiming they were the most suitable pants for swamp and jungle. I suspect a good part of it was just to be different, though.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
(click for larger)

There's not a single piece of consistent footwear in that photo, plus the Gordon Gekko haircut on the guy in the G1 jacket is presumably not regulation. Do all pilots look so tired and bored in briefings like these guys and gals do? It looks like an 8:00 AM class in university - nobody wants to be up that early, let alone required to use their brains!

thor

Call Me a Cab
They have one of Amelia's original leather jackets (along with many, many other historic aviation items) at the San Diego Air & Space museum. It's a great place to see lots of different types of aircraft as well as an actual Mercury space capsule.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
They have one of Amelia's original leather jackets (along with many, many other historic aviation items) at the San Diego Air & Space museum. It's a great place to see lots of different types of aircraft as well as an actual Mercury space capsule.

In Texas, people have stuff like this laying on the side of the road...

2012-04-18-232258_IMG_0577_1.jpg

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Scott Bakula from the first episode of Quantum Leap. I think it's supposed to be an A-2, since he is an AF pilot in that episode. That series did have a lot of good examples of G-1s. The other main character is Al, he was a Naval aviator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy