Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
Well I am devastated that there is no beaver content in the MGL. I did find the sponsored map ad that showed the velour at a price substantially greater than the castoro (beaver), so it is not such a bad thing. I noticed that just about everyone says they run small, so it will likely require some stretching.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Did It Again

I just got this off of free bay , and just like before , I waited till the last 3 seconds of the auction when this one guy
thought he had it all sewn up because people stopped bidding against him.

By sniping it in the last couple of seconds I kept the bid from going any higher and he didn't have any time left to react.
This is the second hat in so many days that I sniped in this manner,and both for just $40.00 each S&H included.

This was yesterdays snipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321067255225?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This is the one I just sniped a few minutes ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400407406103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I say I sniped them and I also know that you could say " well you really didn't snipe them ,you were just the highest
bidder " and that's true ,BUT I was the highest bidder at the last second and that's the important thing , never letting anyone know your there ,or that your interested by bidding say two or three hours before the end of the auction and that
would tip off any other bidders.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Did It Again

I just got this off of free bay , and just like before , I waited till the last 3 seconds of the auction when this one guy

By sniping it in the last couple of seconds I kept the bid from going any higher and he didn't have any time left to react.
This is the second hat in so many days that I sniped in this manner,and both for just $40.00 each S&H included.

I say I sniped them and I also know that you could say " well you really didn't snipe them ,you were just the highest
bidder " and that's true ,BUT I was the highest bidder at the last second and that's the important thing , never letting anyone know your there ,or that your interested by bidding say two or three hours before the end of the auction and that

Wow, it that how it works? :eusa_doh: Well, FF, I think we are going to have to start calling you "Sniper Frank." It's good to enjoy what you do....:D

fashion frank

One Too Many
Call'em as I see'em

Wow, it that how it works? :eusa_doh: Well, FF, I think we are going to have to start calling you "Sniper Frank." It's good to enjoy what you do....:D

Hi Grizzly Adams , yea that's how it works for me anyway ,as far as changing my name ,I would then be
competing with Guttersnipe LOL ;) . Have a great day !

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks Frank and DJ. I'm looking at a 20s cloche now for 300 bucks and can afford it, but I am so used to great deals that the miser in me is holding me back. It's not an auction so the price is set to that. It's a straw 1920s cloche. I am used to paying under 200 for cloches in pristine condition but this seller is tempting me.

Caramel,

Be careful buying a straw hat that old. I have bought some older straw hats that looked good in the photos but when I got the hat the straw was so dry that it didn't take much to crack it. Personally I'm more comfortable buying older felt hats than I am buying older straw hats for that reason. Good luck with it!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family

:D

Caramel,

Be careful buying a straw hat that old. I have bought some older straw hats that looked good in the photos but when I got the hat the straw was so dry that it didn't take much to crack it. Personally I'm more comfortable buying older felt hats than I am buying older straw hats for that reason. Good luck with it!

I think the material is what is keeping me from splurging. I have paid that much for a felt hat but straw is so fragile especially after 90 years. Here is a pic of the cloche

il_570xN_zpsc2a78451.jpg

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Did It Again

This was yesterdays snipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321067255225?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This is the one I just sniped a few minutes ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400407406103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thattaboy! lol. Pretty soon you'll need a warehouse to store all your sniped hats! :D

fashion frank

One Too Many
:D

I think the material is what is keeping me from splurging. I have paid that much for a felt hat but straw is so fragile especially after 90 years. Here is a pic of the cloche

il_570xN_zpsc2a78451.jpg

Wow now I see what you were willing to spend that much on ,I really love the style of that hat , but as the other member suggested you have no idea of telling how it was stored , how dry it has become etc.etc.etc.

I would take his suggestion and pass only because at $300.00 that's one hell of a roll of the dice .
I have to say though that you certainly have style and class ,because that hat is the cat's meow.

All the Best , Fashion Frank

P.S. you made me chuckle with the "warehouse for my sniped hats "

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Here is similar straw hat that's also brown that I got about 2-3 years back. I posted this here on FL before. I believe I paid close to 150 for it, and when I got it was in mint condition and is still going strong. I could tell from the pic that the straw was in good condition because it had a shine to it and when I got it in hand I wasn't disappointed. It seems that the straw on the $300 hat is parched, it doesn't have a shine compared to this one. Sorry about the frown, I was suffering from a mild case of heat exhaustion as it was in the 90s on that day

8050667063_702ebd406a_o_zpsea30757c.jpg

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Okay, here is another one I have my eye on. I'm going to a "red carpet event" for a film festival in a few weeks and Lord knows I have enough hats to choose from for the occasion but I have been eyeing this one and thinking how it would be good for the event. This hat would look sharp with some full legged black wool pants and a pink cashmere shawl-type sweater that I have. I have done a lot of business with the seller in the past and I had a question about the hat and depending on how she answers I think I will be buying it. It is only $125 which I feel is reasonable:

il_fullxfull_zpscb3b98bb.jpg

il_fullxfull_zps922390ff.jpg

il_fullxfull_zps9536e5f9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland