Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Celluloid, Bakelite, Lucite and other vintage plastics

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I have one bangle that is supposed to look like bakelight (alas it is only vintage inspired)... I wish I had time to carouse through ebay and whatnot to find vintage accessories. :(

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Bakelite

Anyone into Bakelite jewlery? I have some silverware and applicances with Bakelite, but never bought any of the jewlery. Does anyone have any of it? I am looking at getting a scotty bakelite pin right now. I really like the bangles, but my wrists are skinny, so they always end up falling off so I would be afraid to buy these.

What do you have, please post pics!!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NicolettaRose said:
I really like the bangles, but my wrists are skinny, so they always end up falling off so I would be afraid to buy these.

Careful with the bangles. I have lost some lovely bracelets and even a watch because my wrist are so thin. :( (Including the one that flew off while I was dancing. lol Like the arrow, it came down I know not where.)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
But there was only two collections shown in that thread, I was wondering if any one has any that havn't been posted. Specifically looking for anyone who has any scotty pins/dog pins, I really want to get one of these.

Daisy Buchanan

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
In a fit of procrastination from studying for finals, I hung up all my clip back earrings! All but three pairs here are vintage. I'm so happy to have them out! Too bad my screw back ones kept falling off :(

earrings.jpg

Bella, those are great!! I'm just starting my collection of vintage accessories. I have bracelets, but they are too dressy for day wear. I have my great granmothers watch from the early 30's. Funny thing is, all this time I thought it was costume, made up of silver and rhinestones. I brought it to a jeweler to have it cleaned and he wouldn't touch it. When he referred me to another jeweler, I asked if it was because it was vintage and I needed someone who knew about vintage watches. He explained to me that it was that fact and it was because the watch was high end. I asked him to further explain. Turns out it's not silver and rhinestone, but platinum and diamonds. Yippee. Now I just can't let my mom know! When she gave it to me I think she too thought it was just costume. If she finds out that it's not, she might ask for it back!:eek: She has 2 more for me, so I definitely am not going to let on about their worth. I know, that's horrible, but I will obviously treasure them more than she has.

Now, back to ebay to find the perfect pair of vintage earrings:) and a pin or two, or ten:D

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I love vintage plastic jewlery. I don't have very much; I get overwhelmed by cases full of jewlery at antique/vintage shows and can't focus; I tend to buy form dealers that only have a few pieces, for that reason. Luckily, my mom has a good eye and is always on the lookout for me; most of my favorite pieces have come from her.

47b7dc04b3127cce81b433331dda00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

The little scotty scatter pins are a thick celluloid; they were a mom thrift store find. The other scotty is wood, and says Victoria. The horse head is also wood, with a clear lucite mane. The black heart is bakelite with a metal arrow.

47b7dc04b3127cce81b433371dde00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

The victory Vs chatelaine is some sort of lightweight plastic with a metal chain; the necklace is celluloid (I think) but the balls are actually painted wood. The little celluloid sailor boy was a mom gift from last Valentine's Day. Quite a sacrifice on her part, as she loves nautical items. I just realized I'm missing a piece - a clear lucite V with a prop in the center -last worn December 7th. I'd better look for that!

Miss_Bella_Hell

Daisy Buchanan said:
Bella, those are great!! I'm just starting my collection of vintage accessories. I have bracelets, but they are too dressy for day wear. I have my great granmothers watch from the early 30's. Funny thing is, all this time I thought it was costume, made up of silver and rhinestones. I brought it to a jeweler to have it cleaned and he wouldn't touch it. When he referred me to another jeweler, I asked if it was because it was vintage and I needed someone who knew about vintage watches. He explained to me that it was that fact and it was because the watch was high end. I asked him to further explain. Turns out it's not silver and rhinestone, but platinum and diamonds. Yippee. Now I just can't let my mom know! When she gave it to me I think she too thought it was just costume. If she finds out that it's not, she might ask for it back!:eek: She has 2 more for me, so I definitely am not going to let on about their worth. I know, that's horrible, but I will obviously treasure them more than she has.

Now, back to ebay to find the perfect pair of vintage earrings:) and a pin or two, or ten:D
I would tell my mom just to rub it in!! Haha :)
I have plenty of little vintage bracelets that are casual enough for every day wear - bakelite and celluloid - then of course there are the ones encrusted with rhinestones that are for evening. Since Nicoletta asked I am going to take some more pics of my plastics and post them...why study?!!

Miss_Bella_Hell

Nicoletta - I don't have any scottie dog anything but they're very popular! I think they tend to be expensive too, and I assume, as with anything that is expensive on ebay, there tend to be fakes out there, so make sure to test for bakelite and be sure it's vintage. I personally don't really know how to tell whether bakelite is vintage bakelite or not, so I just try to get my pieces from reputable sellers.

DSCN1347.JPG

Daisy Buchanan

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I would tell my mom just to rub it in!! Haha :)
I have plenty of little vintage bracelets that are casual enough for every day wear - bakelite and celluloid - then of course there are the ones encrusted with rhinestones that are for evening. Since Nicoletta asked I am going to take some more pics of my plastics and post them...why study?!!

HaHa!!lol

Bella and Decobelle your collections are superb!!

I don't know why but my collection of vintage jewelry consists of items that are dressy. All but 2 pieces are costume, but I've always been attracted to the extra sparkly things. That and my closest girlfriend Karen has a small jewelry company. She makes some lovely pieces and only uses Swarovski crystals and some other higher end brands. All of the necklaces and earrings she's made me are incredible. She really is talented. In the beginning she was re-creating pieces that she found in bead magazines and on line, but now she creates her own designs. She bought a book on vintage jewelry and makes me sets that are very vintage looking. I do beading too, but not nearly to the extent that she does. I'm psyched because I'm meeting her in NYC in a few weeks and we are going to some of the best bead shoppes and she is gonna give me all the pointers I need to take my jewelry to a higher level.
Well anyway, I've been inspired as of late, thanks to you gals here, to buy more accessories that I can wear with more casual outfits. I never really accessorized before, but it's important to complete a vintage outfit. I have bought a few pieces, some pretty pins. What I'm really lacking are bracelets and earrings. I'm also in love with the sweetheart jewelry you ladies have posted. I've been hunting ebay for a few weeks now but have only found a few things. I have yet to buy any.

So my question to you ladies is: Where do you find your vintage jewelry, like bracelets, earrings, pins, etc..? I'm looking for things to decorate my daily wear and also looking for more sweetheart items. Any ideas as to where I can find them, besides the bay, are greatly appreciated:)

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Thanks Daisy! I'm so glad Jitterbugdoll started this thread; it has made me enthused about my jewlery again (I absolutely adore her collection), which I had kind of neglected. . . Your friend's company sounds swell. :) I could use some more dressy jewlery, myself.

I have found most of my brooches and things locally, at antique shows and flea markets or a couple favorite dealers. I don't have much luck w/thrift shops, as I don't have the time to devote to that avenue. If I come up with any good online sources (besides ebay) I'll sure post them.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
So my question to you ladies is: Where do you find your vintage jewelry, like bracelets, earrings, pins, etc..? I'm looking for things to decorate my daily wear and also looking for more sweetheart items. Any ideas as to where I can find them, besides the bay, are greatly appreciated

I have found quite a few in local shops, though in general the prices tend to be a little better on eBay. I usually come across a number of pieces in stores with a wide variety of dealers. Also, these places often have 'wish lists,' and if you write down what you are looking for, dealers will try to fill your request, eliminating some of your own legwork.

Great collection, Decobelle!

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks for the help ladies.
I'm gonna keep searching ebay. The problem with finding the sweetheart pieces is that sellers list it in so many different places, so it takes a lot of searching just to come up with a few items[huh]
We have a couple local antique dealers that I'm gonna check out. The one vintage shoppe that's near my house has a few display cases of jewelry, but I never find anything that I really liked:( She has some nice bakelite bangle bracelets, but I'm not a very tall person and my arms aren't very long, so I look rather funny in big chunky bracelets. Last week I bought a lovely art deco necklace from her which I love, now I just have to find an outfit to go with it lol

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Daisy - I don't think that bracelet is bakelite. I think it's a modern copy.
But don't let that stop you from wearing it, it is super gorgeous! In fact, I'd like to get one myself!

But for future reference - a tell-tale sign that something is bakelite is that when it was originally made they had to cast the bracelet shape - then carve the design out of the casted shape. You're bracelet looks like the design was molded, not carved. A vintage bakelite bracelet wouldn't have been molded.

I could be wrong though - I think you really have to handle the bracelet to tell if it's fakelite or bakelite. When you get it try the Formula 409 test. A little spray of Formula 409 should turn yellow when you put it on the bracelet. Also, if you put it under hot water or rub it really hard, you should smell an acrid smell like formeldhyde. Formeldhyde was used in making bakelite and you can smell it when heat or friction is applied to the bracelet.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
I don't think it's because they are fakes, but the auction ending time is usually at an off hour. If I can get it for cheap and sell it to the vintage dealer here in Boston who is totally over priced, I might be able to make a little money. That's if I can actually bring myself to see it go after winning it!! But, I'll have to have will power, for if I make some money off of the ones I buy now, it means I'll have an excuse to buy more:D

I personally love Fakelite because really, when you're wearing it, who knows the difference besides yourself? And then maybe you have an extra $19 to put towards a dress :) At least that's the way I think about it!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I personally love Fakelite because really, when you're wearing it, who knows the difference besides yourself? And then maybe you have an extra $19 to put towards a dress :) At least that's the way I think about it!

I agree whole-heartedly! I just want people to be informed so they know what they are getting - there's a lot of non-bakelite being sold as bakelite out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner