Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sheene - What did you learn from your order?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Guys,

The Sheene really should have been one of my first jackets but it just didn't turn out that way for some reason. I'm now getting close to ordering a classic cafe racer based Sheene and was looking to hear opinions from owners that already have one. Different options that people chose or didn't choose that turned out well or they have some lingering doubts about.

Things like:
shoulder gussets vs none.
Did you add length to the body? If so what height are you?
Standard sleeves and cuffs or something different.
zippered vs non zippered hand warmer pockets.
August vs HWM collar
Which pulls on the zippers.
Invert the hand warmer zippers so down when closed.
Windflap or not.
Anything else you can think of.

Thanks

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
It's the first time since ordering jackets that I can happily say I wouldn't change a thing on my Sheene, I don't regret anything.

dd6c4d0c48846a74853e87525ae14f5a.jpg

Last edited:
I can speak to two of the above. I vote yes on zipped hand warmers and zipped closed toward the hem. If it's a bike jacket for you then zipped handwarmers are a must. I really like the look of them closing toward the hem b/c they don't interupt the line and contour of the jacket around your body. The sheene is awesome can't wait to see what you come up with.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I like the gussets, but because the cafe racer pattern that it's based on is a pretty large upper back / shoulder compared to chest size, I don't think they are necessarily needed.

DEFINITELY zipped hand warmers, not only are they more useful but they hold the jackets shape so much better. Mine zip to the top, but I don't feel strongly either way. Used the ball and chain pulls in antique brass. With the Russet color they tend to blend in as opposed to standing out.

Regular collar but I have to say the August collar is growing on me.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My AL Cafe Racer is pretty much a sheen with a full action back rather than shoulder gussets and it is probably my favourite jacket.

L1000302_zpsxhj7ytrx.jpg

The only things i can really comment on are:

Handwarmer zippers, mine are closed with the zipper down, i think it makes the jacket look much cleaner, but is really only a big deal if you like to keep your pockets closed at all time.
If you would rather keep them open at all times, and close them only when needed, then the regular way makes more sens.

Windflap, if you are planning on riding with it it is necessary. Without it you will get a lot of wind coming in through the zipper, that will make you cold and your back will baloon like crazy.
Don't think "great, it will cool me down" it will just annoy you. Real motorcycle jackets with front vents always have back vents to prevent balooning. Without them it really is a pain.
If you do opt for a windflap, make sure it doesn't go all the way up to the end of the zipper, this is what the first jacket had and it was very uncomfortable and looked very awkward when the jacket was not zipped all the way up.
On the remake they finished the windflap in between chest pocket and the end of the zipper. I also asked for the windflap to start as close to the bottom hem as possible. I think it looks weird when it starts higher up.

DSC_4105_zpsd3e4995e.jpg

Cuffs depend on your use, if you want to ride with it, zippered sleeves are far more convenient. If you don't want to ride with it anything goes.

I am 6'2" and it has a 26" back. Perfect length for me as it reaches just above my back pockets.

Last edited:
August collar? Please elaborate. What is the difference? It's not the Seabiscuit is it?
I dont personally like the Highwayman collar, and the Premier looks too long to me. I'm interested in this "other" option. Any good photos out there?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
To a large degree I think your choices relate to whether you plan to use your Sheene for riding. My Sheene is meant for use as a casual wear jacket, and I probably wouldn't change a thing. I am 6'2" and had my back length set at 27" but could easily have gone to 28" but am more than happy with what I have. I did not order mine with an action back nor gussets. Hence, Denny said that a back yoke was than needed which works great for me. The zip sleeves in the back are unobtrusive and IMO part of its charm. My hand warmer pockets are zipped with leather pulls. Mine is a HWM collar. No windflap and wouldn't order one maybe unless I used it for riding?

I believe I recall Dan_t ordering his Sheene without zipped hand warmer pockets that might be intriguing. Lewis Leathers Corsair and Dominator models are similar to the Sheene and do not have zipped pockets. Can't really think of anything else at the moment.

Last edited:
shoulder gussets vs none - Always. Aero gussets are barely noticeable, yet they make a difference. Not too much of a difference but they don't hurt, either. What PG said, they're not super necessary as Aero CR has plenty of back room, especially if you don't ride but I prefer jackets with gussets. Full action back looks best.
Did you add length to the body? If so what height are you? - At 6'1", 26" to 26.5" works for me best, I believe. Also, shrinkage.
Standard sleeves and cuffs or something different. - Zippered or non zippered, doesn't matter. Looks good either way to me. I prefer zippers on my sleeves, though.
zippered vs non zippered hand warmer pockets. - Zippered. Safer. It's a short style jacket and you've got pants to keep your hands warm.
August vs HWM collar - Premier collar 4 lyfe
Which pulls on the zippers. - Chain!!! Though standard ones are nice, too, and less chance something will go wrong.
Windflap or not. -
It makes a difference so I would always ask for it. It does, however, get in the way of the main zipper.
Anything else you can think of - I would add another chest pocket. And inside pocket, too. Zippered one. And I love standard cotton drill lining most.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I like Carlos's double chest pockets, it will also develop more symmetrical creases on left vs right chest panel if both have pocket. BTW have you thought about horizontal or slightly slanted pocket, if slanted then dropping inward or outward :D

handwarmer pockets (personally I hate them), depend if you actually use the pockets, if you use it so frequent then you better use non zippered or with zipper closes toward the top, since most of the time the zipper would be open and so the puller is dangling on the bottom
however if that hand warmer pocket is just mere extra pockets for storage or infrequent use, so mainly left closed, then it is better to have the zipper closes toward the bottom.

I like biswing gusset as it adds something to the back of the jacket, and possibility to get a slim fitting back panel.

in the part of the world I live, I don't need windflap for its original purpose, it is still useful so the zipper won't catch your tshirt or tie or whatever in more careless operation, but if you mainly wear the jacket open having it is just ruining the look

zipper puller, if you have already dangly puller on all your previous jackets, why not something that can lock flat in place and hidden under the pocket lips for the chest pocket

shoulder gussets vs none - Always. Aero gussets are barely noticeable, yet they make a difference. Not too much of a difference but they don't hurt, either. What PG said, they're not super necessary as Aero CR has plenty of back room, especially if you don't ride but I prefer jackets with gussets. Full action back looks best.
Did you add length to the body? If so what height are you? - At 6'1", 26" to 26.5" works for me best, I believe. Also, shrinkage.
Standard sleeves and cuffs or something different. - Zippered or non zippered, doesn't matter. Looks good either way to me. I prefer zippers on my sleeves, though.
zippered vs non zippered hand warmer pockets. - Zippered. Safer. It's a short style jacket and you've got pants to keep your hands warm.
August vs HWM collar - Premier collar 4 lyfe
Which pulls on the zippers. - Chain!!! Though standard ones are nice, too, and less chance something will go wrong.
Invert the hand warmer zippers so down when closed. - I hate that with great intensity. Reminds me of those horrid 80's cheap jackets everyone used to wear. It just looks bad.
Windflap or not. - It makes a difference so I would always ask for it. It does, however, get in the way of the main zipper.
Anything else you can think of - I would add another chest pocket. And inside pocket, too. Zippered one. And I love standard cotton drill lining most.
Agree on the gussets and wish I'd spec'd them. Aside from the minimal range of motion they add, they absolutely do create a really nice shape to the back. I think they really accentuate the v shape of the torso. Damn it. I need another jacket

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Shoulder gussets: yes
Zippered handwarmer: always on a moto jacket
Wind flap behind main zip: seems like a good idea.
I don't like jackets without inside pockets, even though Aero have been recommending against them.
I would either omit the chest pocket or add a second one to preserve symmetry. But I don't really put anything in the chest pocket, and I think it would look cleaner without.

Same size. J-106 vs boot. I think the j-106 is a better shape in back.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 829
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 921

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Where to begin... I would have ordered another 1" in the sleeves, a solid olive liner, and maybe the vicenza leather in "dark seal". Aside from that, I wouldn't change a thing. I am loving the way the leather is breaking in, but I would like the sleeves a bit longer when seated with arms fully extended out (like driving or riding a bike). The colorful inside is a bit too busy for me, after time with it, too. But darn, it turned out pretty awesome! I get compliments on it everytime I wear it. I am 6' tall, 195lbs, broad-shouldered, with an athletic-ratio physique. I ordered a 44, with 27" sleeves and a 28" length. Inside pocket with no-closure was a "win", no scratching sunglasses, etc. Pulls with the ball on end worked out fine, too. Photo of me wearing it by clicking on my avatar, and then once more on it for a full-sized image.

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
Well, that's just opening a whole can of confusion right there PN!
There'll be as many opinions as there are options.

For what it's worth, I'd order the hand warmer pockets WITHOUT zips. They just make the pockets uncomfortable against the wrist.

NO internal pocket - it shows through

NO wind flap - it's unnecessary in Sydney.

Gussets or not - I personally like the simplicity of without, but do like the unique appearance of the 'feature' of the gussets.

Happy for you to look at mine as the two examples I have illustrate most of these features between them.

With my Sheene, I was after a simple, elegant & timeless design, hence the minimalist features. It worked for me & I love the look. If you are after something a little more striking, the additional features also do look great.

ProteinNerd

Well, that's just opening a whole can of confusion right there PN!
There'll be as many opinions as there are options.

Ha ha I think your right. I'm already starting to second guess some of the options I thought I had decided about.

Everyone is just giving too many rational reasons for their preferences!

Thanks to everyone so far, keep them coming though. It's great to learn from everyone's experience.

ProteinNerd

August collar? Please elaborate. What is the difference? It's not the Seabiscuit is it?
I dont personally like the Highwayman collar, and the Premier looks too long to me. I'm interested in this "other" option. Any good photos out there?

I'm not a huge fan of the HWM or sea biscuit collar either as well.

The August collar is from the August jacket and is described on the website as a slightly smaller collar (I'm assuming from the standard half belt collar). Looks quite nice and I think it was @mowgli222 that had it put on his Sheene.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Lots of good info here, and I really like the thoughts suggested. The Sheene is a close runner up to a Highwayman for my next jacket, preferably in brown. In fact -- tnjyoung if you really want a slightly different one, do let me know as yours would fit me perfectly! :)

So after 14 Months of owning a 4-pocket Café Racer (Steerhide, black, off the rack at Insurrection, size 42, very similar jacket in terms of fit) I can offer these thoughts for you
  • Zippered sleeve ends - much easier for those who wear backpacks often, my '30's half belt is buttoned and straps can get caught there.
  • Wind-flap - I nearly always zip my jacket, and I live in Iowa so any little help here I have to recommend, about the only option this jacket does not have. Depends a lot on your climate and where you may travel to.
  • Shoulder gussets - Yes, they help and I have them.
  • Zippered hand-warmer pockets - Yes I recommend and have these too, I also never open them.
  • Inside pockets. I have both and never open either. the snap seems rather un-obtrusive, the zippered pocket with ball & chain does show through a bit.
  • Zipper - You didn't mention this, but I'll suggest that you consider ordering this with an upgraded, heaver-duty zipper. I find the zipper in my Café Racer just a bit small for the jacket, and it's pretty delicate to get started at the bottom.
  • Fit - this is even more important. I'm also 195 lbs, 6' 1", average build but broad shoulders and the 42 is close fitting. I can't wear a sweatshirt under it. I can wear a mid-weight Oxford shirt but that's about it. This is why with the Half-belt I stuck to a 44. At my height, I am thankful for the sleeves being at least 25" long. Torso and back are also just right, they cover my belt but no more.
  • Hope this helps - great jacket to be considering!

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
I'm not a huge fan of the HWM or sea biscuit collar either as well.

The August collar is from the August jacket and is described on the website as a slightly smaller collar (I'm assuming from the standard half belt collar). Looks quite nice and I think it was @mowgli222 that had it put on his Sheene.
Protein,

I have a size 42 Sheene in seal Vicenza with 0.5" added to each side below the arms, modeled after pawine's cafe racer. 27" back and 27" arms. I'm 5'11", 185 lbs.

I also have an August collar, and a front yoke as with Aero's pioneer.

I would definitely do slimmer arms, as the cafe racers are not much slimmer than my highwayman arms, and probably skip the zip sleeves for straight or button ones. Brush don't serve much function and as aero has the zipper stop before the end of the sleeve, it tends to flare out a bit at the end with the more supple Vicenza compared to heavier steer.

I like the August collar, but it is more narrow and needs occasional mounding with my hand as it gets bent a bit.

I have yet to master pic uploads on the new forum, so feel free to pm me for pics.

dan_t

Practically Family
I thought Denny came on here some time ago and dispelled the myth that there was such a thing as slimmer arms (a.k.a Japanese arms)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy