Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most non-vintage preference or attributes ...

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Besides my none-too obvious affinity for modern computational apparatii and its related activities, my most non-vintage preferences are certain television shows and movies... and many of them are period pieces.

As for the vintage stuff I don't like, I admit I've never been a big fan of Billie Holiday (DON'T SHOOT!!!).

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
i would have to say:
"muscle cars"

i owned one... when i was restoring it, she was parked next to my Uncle's 653 Auburn Sedan, and they were both lookers in their own right...

"80's music"

can't really explain that one. it was more happy than the music now.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RedHotRidinHood said:
Going out on a limb here...I am sick unto DEATH of seeing vintage rockabilly girls with the same dyed-black-hair-and-Bettie-bangs look. It's like they are clones. And they always have a million tattoos, which in and of itself I don't mind, but they all look the SAME. I find it ironic because I am sure they think they are being non-conformists, but aren't they really just trading one conformity for another?

Now, before anyone climbs all over my booty, let me say that most of the ones I am talking about are very young and new to the scene, and have more attitude than you can shake Bettie Page at. I love the idea of anyone at all re-creating a vintage look, but I hate it when it's all the same thing all the time! I am not perfectly vintage all the time, but I do try to make the look my own.

I think it's more the attitude that I hate, really...the "I am more vintage than you" bull that I come across sometimes. I just don't have time to think about that kind of crap. I just want to do my own thing, look nice along the way, and get along.

End of rant! Great thread, by the way...let's see who is feeling REALLY brave and honest today. :p

Yeah, but what do YOU do that is truly (perhaps slightly shamefully) non-vintage?
Hate film noir? Love hip hop? LET IT ALL OUT, BABY.

Dr Doran

LizzieMaine said:
When I go to the dentist I like modern technology a lot. Have you ever seen a prewar dental drill?

They still use old dental tech in certain villages in Poland ... yikes ... having traveled extensively in Poland a number of times, I've seen it.

Does my entire music collection being soundtracks count? (Mostly John Barry 007 scores, which is a little post-Golden Age...)

Not to mention an affinity towards '60s-and-later jet-fighters, '80s Firebirds and any kind of high-performance vehicle.

Ms. Spitfire, too bad you're in what I consider a "No-Fly Zone"...;)

Dr Doran

OK, since people are really taking this seriously I'll admit this ... my driving is horrible. I can, however, perform the other three manly arts to a respectable level of skill: drinking, fighting, and another thing beginning with the same letter as the second skill, and ending in -ing, that I shan't say because it is improper.

MEMENTO, ROMANE, HAE TIBI ERUNT ARTES: PACIQUE IMPONERE MOREM, PARCERE SUBIECTIS, ET DEBELLARE SUPERBOS.

- Publius Vergilius Maro (Virgil)

("Remember, Roman, these will be your arts. To teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, spare defeated peoples, and tame the proud." Mandelbaum translation.)

But driving? I hate stick shifts. Sorry. Call me non-vintage. I'd prefer something simpler even than a steering wheel. I see no reason to use BOTH hands and BOTH feet to operate a simple machine. I'm just a wuss in that regard ... plus, traffic in California is horrible.

There -- I let it out. I feel less heavy and congested now

Miss_Bella_Hell

RedHotRidinHood said:
Going out on a limb here...I am sick unto DEATH of seeing vintage rockabilly girls with the same dyed-black-hair-and-Bettie-bangs look. It's like they are clones. And they always have a million tattoos, which in and of itself I don't mind, but they all look the SAME. I find it ironic because I am sure they think they are being non-conformists, but aren't they really just trading one conformity for another?

Now, before anyone climbs all over my booty, let me say that most of the ones I am talking about are very young and new to the scene, and have more attitude than you can shake Bettie Page at. I love the idea of anyone at all re-creating a vintage look, but I hate it when it's all the same thing all the time! I am not perfectly vintage all the time, but I do try to make the look my own.

I think it's more the attitude that I hate, really...the "I am more vintage than you" bull that I come across sometimes. I just don't have time to think about that kind of crap. I just want to do my own thing, look nice along the way, and get along.

End of rant! Great thread, by the way...let's see who is feeling REALLY brave and honest today. :p

:eek:fftopic: I know where you're coming from on this, but this sentiment pops up from the FL gals every few months and it really irks me! The girls who are new to the scene have to start somewhere. *We* all had to start somewhere. This kind of attitude is what makes *us* seem more vintage than thou. Because if you really do want to do your own thing, I can't imagine that includes belittling others' choices, especially when they're close to your own! RHRH, you're a dear and I hope I haven't gone too far off my rocker here.

I'll get down off my high horse now, and admit that I think all rockabilly music sounds the same. Even if I do like it.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Doran said:
OK, since people are really taking this seriously I'll admit this ... my driving is horrible. I can, however, perform the other three manly arts to a respectable level of skill: drinking, fighting, and another thing beginning with the same letter as the second skill, and ending in -ing, that I shan't say because it is improper.

Ah, but do you dance? ;)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
:eek:fftopic: I know where you're coming from on this, but this sentiment pops up from the FL gals every few months and it really irks me! The girls who are new to the scene have to start somewhere. *We* all had to start somewhere. This kind of attitude is what makes *us* seem more vintage than thou. Because if you really do want to do your own thing, I can't imagine that includes belittling others' choices, especially when they're close to your own! RHRH, you're a dear and I hope I haven't gone too far off my rocker here.

I'll get down off my high horse now, and admit that I think all rockabilly music sounds the same. Even if I do like it.

No biggie, Miss Bell....no offense taken! I agree we all have to start somewhere. It just seems that some of them only go so far into it-the ones who treat it as a fad and don't understand the history there. Some of them fall head-first into the past and I love them for it. Or think they know it all because they know just the trendy stuff. Whatever....I suppose all that counts is that the past isn't entirely dead and gone as long some little girlie wants to do her hair up in rolls and wear red lipstick! ;)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Doran said:
Yeah, but what do YOU do that is truly (perhaps slightly shamefully) non-vintage?
Hate film noir? Love hip hop? LET IT ALL OUT, BABY.

Ok, Mr. Pushy, here we go... ;)
I don't get the big brouhaha about Louis Armstrong. I mean, he's good, but better than everyone else of the time? I can't agree with that. And alot of that jangly raggy-jazz music from the 20s gets boring after awhile.

And I have to admit that I would KILL for a 1972 Chevelle or a 1971 Dodge Challenger, just like in "Vanishing Point". Something that really rumbles and with lots of um, you know...speed..... and I also LOVE 70s glam rock. THERE! Are you happy now??!! lol

Miss_Bella_Hell

Diamondback said:
Miss Bella, I think what RHRH was trying to say was "Don't be 'vintage', be yourself, and if 'yourself' happens to be a riff on the vintage theme, great."

But I might be misreading that...

If so, good, I just hate to see gals hate other gals...and the Bettie Page clone complaint is common. I myself have had guys say "thank you for not trying to look like Bettie Page." But hey, the look doesn't work for me...one of my friends, it works for, and MAN does she look good! ;)

RedHotRidinHood said:
And I have to admit that I would KILL for a 1972 Chevelle or a 1971 Dodge Challenger, just like in "Vanishing Point". Something that really rumbles and with lots of um, you know...speed..... and I also LOVE 70s glam rock. THERE! Are you happy now??!! lol

Hmmm... quite a few non-vintage performance-auto types: you, me, Ms. Spitfire--do we need to inquire about adding "The Dragstrip" to FL?

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
If so, good, I just hate to see gals hate other gals...and the Bettie Page clone complaint is common. I myself have had guys say "thank you for not trying to look like Bettie Page." But hey, the look doesn't work for me...one of my friends, it works for, and MAN does she look good! ;)

Good heavens, I don't hate anyone, not really...I guess maybe I put that too strongly. Since I have had kids for a long time, I haven't been able to be in the "scene", and what little I have seen of it has been mostly good, with just a few times where it seemed that all the girls looked alike. I just like to see individuality pop up.

Lonn

Familiar Face
Bluetooth

Borg, gagetery, Batman. I wear stuff on my belt, sometimes a second belt for stuff, stuff hanging from my ears, blinking leds all over. I love the stuff. With a current issue A-2, Brooks Brothers button down, Allen Edmonds Wing Tips and pleated, cuffed "trousers." Always under a fedora.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Hmmm... quite a few non-vintage performance-auto types: you, me, Ms. Spitfire--do we need to inquire about adding "The Dragstrip" to FL?

Let me get my crash helmet and let's motorvate!!

:eek:fftopic: Just FYI-my first car was a 1976 Dodge Dart Swinger. Her name was Marilyn and I LOVED THAT CAR.

Brooksie

One Too Many
oh yeah, another non-vintage thing about me: occasionally I will show up in my avitar wearing some very non-vintage patchwork jeans holding a dog that matches but thats just me.lol

LB

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Kill your TV!!!

Brooksie we haven't had TV/cable in about 4 years. We do watch dvds and such once in a while.

Oh, well I didn't like Casablanca. Sorry...and I'm not into Sinatra either!

I can't think of anything non vintage that I do that others don't. Love my digi cam.

I like hiphop but wish they wouldn't play the same song every 15 minutes on the radio. I like pretty much all music tho. I can't imagine a 40's dame listening to Led Zepplin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metalica or 50 cent.
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally