Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Hot Dog Stand?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Adelaidey said:
"An Ice Cream Program"
I remember that one...The rents (ca. 1961, long before my advent) lived in Alexandria, VA, and well remember Carl's Custard in Fredericksburg (they used to go antiquing and such in the area).

I forget if the program mentioned Stroh's Ice Cream, a favorite in my Michigan school days. The Stroh Brewery had the bright idea to convert to a soda fountain and ice cream firm with the passing of Prohibition, and they apparently did a bang-up job. In the 80s, I recall, Stroh's boasted they had more butterfat content by weight than Haagen-Dazs! A classic Detroit treat was the Vernors Cooler, Stroh's vanilla blended with Vernors ginger beer into a frothy frappé.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Fletch said:
Duck fat is the Blue Bonnet of fine cuisine. Anything's better with duck fat on it.
So true. Whenever I roast duck I save the fat for frying eggs and sauteing and roasting vegetables.

LA's 9 on the Town countdown

#8 Dodger Stadium
1000 Elysian Park Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90012
(866) DODGERS

#7 Taste Chicago
603 N. Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91506
(818) 563-2800

#6 TAIL O' THE PUP
329 N. San Vicente Blvd, W. Hollywood, CA 90048-1809
(310) 652-4517

#5 CARNEY'S
8351 W. Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90069
(323) 654-8300
carneytrain.com

#4 WEINER FACTORY
14917 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
(818) 789-2676

#3 SKOOBY'S
6654 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028
(323) 468-3647
www.skoobys.com

#2 PINK'S
709 N. La Brea Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90038
(323) 931-4223
www.pinkshollywood.com

#1 THE STAND
17000 Ventura Blvd., Encino, CA 91316
(818) 788-2707

PBS's "A Hot Dog Program"

One of my favorite shows that gets played on many local PBS stations around the Fourth of July is called "A Hot Dog Program." It is a really fun look at Hot Dog culture and some of the great hot dog places across the USA.

One of my favorite lines is an interview of a 20 something New Yorker that is outside of one of the NY Hot DOg eateries. When asked how he felt about the hot dogs, he responded that he felt "they have a nefarious hold over me" which is just brilliant. Nefarious!

Although a good tasting hot dog may not have a skin, I truly believe great hot dogs must have a skin that pops when you eat them

Barry

Practically Family
I wish I had that list when I was out in LA for the Queen Mary event.

I did get to try Roscoe's in Long Beach though. That was kinda fun.

Barry

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Adelaidey said:
Superdawg in Chicago.... one of the last drive-ins left... go on the weekends in the summer, when all the classic cars come out, and enjoy an amazing Chicago dog with everything-- you won't be dissapointed :D

Ditto.

Best place to just sit and people watch.

Haversack

One Too Many
I would like to second decobelle's endorsement of Jim-Denny's #2 in Sacramento. One summer back in the 1980s I was working on the Governor's Mansion a few blocks away with a group of other architecture students. Jim-Denny's became our local lunch spot at least once a week. You would see a full range of paople seated on those few stools from State Senators to Alkalai Flats bums.

Haversack.

Rafter

Suspended
Pinks.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
It has to be Harry's Place by N??rrebro Station in Copenhagen, Denmark

...Or the one at Gentofte Railwaystation. Class A. Homemade chiliketchup in five different strengths. Burgers and "frikadelle" burgers. Not to mention the "fl?¶skestegssandwich";)
25153271_4bd0360e3c.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Nick's Grill & Yogurt Oasis, 103rd S. Western Avenue, Chicago; right down the street from Optimo.
Grab a dog-and-a-fedora. ;)

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
My favorite hot dog stand is Fenway Park. What can I say? It's all about the setting. :)

So true, so true, Mr. Jones. With something like a hot dog it's definitely all about the setting. My favorite hot dog stands are at Wrigley Field. You can't beat a hot dog and beer at the 'ol ballpark.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Grnidwitch said:
Ditto.

Best place to just sit and people watch.

After working every New Year's Eve (bars/restaurants), my former roommate and I would meet up at the Weiner's Circle to people watch. Everything crazy - every whacked-out mess and super sloppy drunken debacle, I witnessed there on those nights. Unbelievable.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
beaucaillou said:
the Weiner's Circle to people watch. Everything crazy - every whacked-out mess and super sloppy drunken debacle, I witnessed there on those nights. Unbelievable.
Yes, the WC is quite a scene at night. Thankfully, I know the crew well enough to circumvent the line, needing only to make eye contact to place my regular order, a grilled Polish and fries.:essen:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley