Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

donCarlos

Practically Family
LynnLaBlanc said:
I finally gave up and started dressing vintage very recently. I always felt very awkward when I tried dressing trendy or modern by today's standards, so even though people stare, I'm just more comfortable in vintage.
well, it´s all about people starring, isn´t it? That´s why we do it lol

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
ClaraB said:
It isn't a rut here, it is a fashion statement. It is actually rather amusing. What I really can't figure out is the flip flop trend, especially in the snow.

I love my flip flops, lol. I wear them all year round. I have size 10 feet. NOT the easiest things to find nice shoes in, they're simply more comfortable.MY feet sweat when I put them in shoes, get blisters easily and are just all around uncomfortable. I'd rather go barefoot but the flops afford some protection. I draw the line at 5 degree weather though, then the cowboy boots go on. THe only two shoes I really wear, flip flops or cowboy boots.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Hello Loungers, I'm Max, I'm 15, almost 16 and live in West Los Angeles. I've been on the lounge for a year now but recently changed my screenname.
I always loved old cars, houses, the 30's-40's mostly and other stuff. Majority of it came from having alot of family history in the 20's through the 40's. I first really got into vintage by running into the store MyBabyJo down the street from my house last year. Ended up getting a job there, and my interests just expanded. I went from Modern to Rockabilly 50's with a pompadour, and now refined to a bunch of decades depending on the day, but mostly 40's work-wear.
I basically got rid of all of my modern clothes except for the items that I can mix-n-match and haven't dressed modern in over a year. I have no plans in changing my style in the future back to the way it was. Since getting into the vintage scene, I feel more comfortable with myself(not feeling so out of place surprisingly), and happy to find something different then everyone else and most of all having fun with it!

Lokar

A-List Customer
My interest actually began with slightly earlier in history - I was fascinated and obsessed with the ("Hollywood") view of Victorian England. The elegance of the clothing, the hats, the height of Britain in many ways, the manners, the culture..

However, wearing morning dress with a top hat is a little extreme, and so I naturally gravitated towards the 20s through 40s. I do still love the Victorian era, and throw in the odd accessory (or hat) when I can, though.

I'm 22 now, and I really started my obsession when I was 20.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
Well, I'm 21. Not in college at the moment, but eventually I'll get around to that. I've been into vintage... ever since I can remember. Most of my aunts were born in the 30's, so I grew up around them talking about the "old days" and poring over our old pictures... of which there are many. I also grew up around all of the older music and movies, so I suppose it either just got conditioned into me, or I was born this way. lol
I stick more to the 50's, myself, for clothing and the like, but I adore the 20's, 30's and 40's, almost as much. I dress vintage or modern vintage probably 99% of the time, I feel at home with it and much more beautiful than I feel in some of the bizarre things people wear these days. Honestly, I have lots of people tell me I sound/look like an old lady, but it tends to be a compliment to me somehow. lol I get plenty of questions about my manner of dress/hairstyling, lingo, everything. It's rare that it goes uncomplimented though, at least, since where I work tends to attract older people that remember the times.
It's good to know that there are other people in my age group out there that genuinely appreciate past era's as much as I do.
I just wish there were more around my area.
As for shopping on a budget, I tend to find all of my treasures from thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.), antique stores (my area has so much history that you can't sling a dead cat without hitting an antique store), yard sales, estate sales, and of course, Ebay.

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Young University Student here! I am hooked on Film Noir and 1930-40's films, I am taking a few Film Elective Course just for the fun of it. I dress partial vintage as I don't have anything that is actually vintage clothing but I am branching out. I do my hair in victory rolls, wear red lippy, and wear my very vintage looking pea coat everywhere I can. I even have a vintage cigarrette case from the 40's with fun art deco-ish flowers on it, it's a great conversation piece that I keep my cash in, so people always ask me about it!

I live in Northern Ontario- That's Canada for everyone out there- And vintage is harder to come by then a quick spring thaw, let alone find other people with similar interests. Is there anyone up here, other than me, into vintage, probably not.

I live and am from a University town and everyone that comes here is from the big city of Toronto, and only wear Lulu Lemon yoga pants-everywhere-day and night- it makes me sick.

Wow, didn't mean to write that much!

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Gah! You're in Canada taking film classes! I'm completely envious. All we get made here are One Tree Hill and Nicholas Sparks movies!

Oh. I'm in Wilmington finishing up my BA in Film Studies. In case I came off all crazy.

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
You Bet, In Canada we can take Film Classes even up here at Nipissing, it's just for the fun - mind you- a semester of German expressionism isn't entirely enjoyable - but the Film Noir Series was fantastic!

Are you at the University of North Carolina? I envy you - you can actually get a BA in Film, here it's just electives - but it's a great break from Biology Lectures! What is a full BA compossed of for Film? Are you watching or making?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
LynnLaBlanc said:
Wow, I didn't know there were so many "young" people on here.

I am 17 (that sounds so weird to say. I still feel like I'm an awkward 12 year old most of the time).

I have no idea where my love of all things vintage came from. In part, its because my mom used to watch old black and white movies with me while I was a little girl. I guess Ijust learned to associate people in dresses and stockings with fun and happiness.

I finally gave up and started dressing vintage very recently. I always felt very awkward when I tried dressing trendy or modern by today's standards, so even though people stare, I'm just more comfortable in vintage.

LynnLaBlanc, your post was so pretty. Made me think of the Smiths song that goes 16, clumsy, and shy, that's the story of my life.
I identify with the last part about feeling comfortable at last too.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
When I was younger I liked wearing suits, but I got properly into vintage from coming across the Basil Rathbone Holmes films, most of which are set in the 40s. I liked Indy, specifically the hat and jacket combination. Last summer my dad showed me Casablanca, his favourite film and I started making my own vintage styles rather than copying IJ.

It's good to see the amount of young loungers. I'm 17 and I feel like I'm the only person in my area to dress vintage inspired. Where I live I think I've only seen two fedoras ever worn with suits, and those were by elderly men. While my friends have grown to appreciate my hats and suits, none of them share my vintage interests. I've only ever known one person my age who shared my interests to a certain degree, and unfortunately I don't talk to her very often anymore due to personal reasons :(.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I've had the best conversations with people 20-40 years older than myself. Maybe it's that I tend to hang out in libraries, antique stores, and old buildings most of the time instead of beaches/clubs.

Djupis

One of the Regulars
Spiffy said:
I've had the best conversations with people 20-40 years older than myself. Maybe it's that I tend to hang out in libraries, antique stores, and old buildings most of the time instead of beaches/clubs.

I feel the same way myself.

A 19 year old here by the way, currently in the last phase of my one year of military service, not sure whether to continue or start my studies after the summer.
I have always been interested in history and I think it was sort of a natural progress to get interested in suits, hats etc. James Bond-fan also, so I guess that enters into it as well. Oh, and watching Jeeves & Wooster certainly kicked it off!
It makes you stand out a bit though, which is contradictory to my normal behaviour oddly enough, as I'm not that comfortable with a lot of attention, but dressing any other way makes me even more uncomfortable :p

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Spiffy said:

Striking up conversations with cheery 70 and 80 somethings is great fun. It's a real pity though, that I will very likely outlive most of them. Lost a good 72 yr-old buddy a few months back, as a matter of fact.

Not an antique store, library, or old building sort of dude, though, oddly enough. He was actually a former bodybuilder who showed me the ropes when I was just starting out at my gym.

It's a bit silly, really, now that I think back on it, all those times we'd talk about "the good old days", like I was actually there :rolleyes:

I'm 18, and have been wearing my hair in a pompadour since I was 10. I was always into vintage, I've went through a few vintage phases. I was your leather jacket fonzie type for awhile, then went to a fedora wearer with an old school hunting jacket, white collared shirt, dress pants, and loafers, and have now settled into an average middle-class semi-rural suburbanite 1950's individual I guess I would call it. I always dress vintage or vintage inspired and have many many friends who were in their prime during the 1950s. My friends who are my age find it so amusing how I can keep up in a conversation with someone so much older than myself and know the pop-culture and the lifestyle and what-not.

Not a very good pic, but I don't take a lot of photos of myself.

newphone.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld