Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

EngProf

Practically Family
Trenchy, here in the midwest of the US i don’t think you’d call the gearheads gangs but just guys.
I can’t speak to the 50’s hot rodders but in the 60’s and 70’s it seemed to be Ford guys, Chevy guys or Mopar guys. In the early 70’s street racing i loved blowing the doors off the Mustangs and big boxy Mopars with my little 69 Z28. It represented the Chevy guys very well and pissed off many of those other guys.
Corvette guys were a different breed all together.
B
As one who was there, this is nearly 100% dead-on... (and that means "correct"...)
Car-brand loyalty was much closer to sports-team loyalty - San Francisco vs. Kansas City, etc. - No hostile "gangs" in the urban reality or movie sense...
"...i loved blowing the doors off the Mustangs" - that means outrunning them badly...
Even later Mustangs never fully lived up to their reputation...
"...big boxy Mopars with my little 69 Z28."
Z28's were great cars, and as a devout Chevy fan I would hope that is true, but up against a Mopar Street Hemi I would hate to put a large bet down either way.
It would be fun to watch... :)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
As one who was there, this is nearly 100% dead-on... (and that means "correct"...)
Car-brand loyalty was much closer to sports-team loyalty - San Francisco vs. Kansas City, etc. - No hostile "gangs" in the urban reality or movie sense...
"...i loved blowing the doors off the Mustangs" - that means outrunning them badly...
Even later Mustangs never fully lived up to their reputation...
"...big boxy Mopars with my little 69 Z28."
Z28's were great cars, and as a devout Chevy fan I would hope that is true, but up against a Mopar Street Hemi I would hate to put a large bet down either way.
It would be fun to watch... :)
Hemi’s on the street were rare back then. 383’s…no sweat.
B

Edward

Bartender
Curious that Edward. When I was a student I found University Lecturers much more worldly and "in tune." At school, the teachers came over as far more remote. Maybe it was my youth and lack of maturity that gave me that impression. School teachers and University Lecturers are similar professions yet they are world's apart.

Indeed. You couldn't pay me enough to have the level of responsibility for my charges that a school teacher does. At least mine are adults, and I don't (often) have to deal with their parents!

Are we having a big worldwide peanutbutter cup sweets comeback, I didn't know about?
Today, I noticed already storebrand peanutbutter cups (40% peanut cream and "cacao-free choco coating").

Not bad, but after two I put the bag in the freezer, that wil surely help. :p

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn’t think so as Reese‘s for example are widely available in supermarkets here since decades, at least in the West of Germany.

2318.jpg

When did you wash yourself with "Mother Nature", last time?

Got an old-fashioned natural sponge (from the Mediterranean Sea), today. They are available for 10,99 EUR in drugstore, these days.

My new natural sponge is way too harsh, so right now I put him in 1 liter brine. I will see, if this old household tip helps. :)

Last edited:
You know you’re getting old when you stop at a bar to get a drink, take an open seat & within a minute or two hear the young lady next to you order a cocktail called a “Panty Dropper”. You have no idea what liquors are in it…or if you should wait around or not.

You know you’re getting old when you stop in a bar for a drink, hear a song playing overhead you’ve never heard before so it must be a new one. Then notice as you look around that every person in the bar knows the lyrics & is singing along to themselves.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know you’re getting old when you stop at a bar to get a drink, take an open seat & within a minute or two hear the young lady next to you order a cocktail called a “Panty Dropper”. You have no idea what liquors are in it…or if you should wait around or not.
Well Jack, let me explain. Have you heard of your namesake Yukon Jack? Well he's got himself well and truly mixed up with a few friends.

From what I can remember of a misspent youth, (wishful thinking) nail polish and panties have something in common. With a little alcohol they both come off.

Yikes. That is one powerful drink. (”but I hardly taste the alcohol!”)
My wife and went to an event put on by the Italian Consulate. It was an open bar, serving Negronis. Not being a cocktail guy decided to try one. It was delicious, not too sweet, potent, with 3 oz of alcohol.

About a month later my wife and I were out for lunch at an upscale casual eatery and noticed they had Negronis on the cocktail menu. We were about to order one when I noticed the price was about the same price as my expensive burger. That remined me why I am not a cocktail guy. I stuck with the beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1