Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

^^^^^^
As I’ve noted before, I have little patience with adults who apparently think it their duty to tell kids that kind of claptrap. The one I heard at least a thousand times was “you can do anything you set your mind to.”

I knew it was pure nonsense, but I couldn’t say that lest I’d have had pain inflicted on my person.

The fool spewing that BS wouldn’t have believed it himself had he given it a moment’s thought. But thinking never was his strong suit.

Little wonders!
I just ordered two new rollos for my living room, in the next bigger city. You know, the good old analog way. ;)

The new are again the same old model as in 2010, but this time plain white (including outer isolation) for my living room to replace the darkblue, which will anyways totally burn out, over the nex years on our southside. So this (technical) mistake will be erased.
Bedroom still got bright-orange ones.

Long story short, the price per unit increased only 5.00 €. Not bad after 14 years, especially for a real monopol product!
From 39.95 to 44.95 € per unit. Of course, they costing money, but this product is nearly wear-free, indeed.

But another question.

In the 50s/60s/70s, did you have rivaling car gangs, maybe Mustang fans/Thunderbird fans/Corvette fans and so on?
I Imagine, there could have been some hardcore fans around the Mustang scene or maybe Cobra-scene? I mean, I totally understand that the Mustang is a legend, same as Cobra, Thunderbird, Vette and so on.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^^^^
When I was in high school, you were either a corvette lover or a corvette hater. Everyone loved the old mustangs, although they were already a little outdated. In my high school there was also a vocal faction who loved the Datsun 240Z. These sportscar fans were in contrast to the hardcore types who only liked big powerful trucks, preferably Chevy.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
These sportscar fans were in contrast to the hardcore types who only liked big powerful trucks, preferably Chevy.
mg truck.jpg

Big powerful trucks? What would they have made of such a truck with the letters MG on the grille?

^^^^^
The American “Big Three” sell a helluva lot of trucks. The Ford F Series pickup has been the best selling offering of any for decades now. I don’t know that Toyota and Nissan (which make “full size” as well as more compact pickups) have eaten into the Big Three sales so much as found their place at an expanding table. We Yanks, especially those of us living outside the urban cores, love our trucks. For many of us, a pickup does everything a car does and lots it doesn’t.

EngProf

Practically Family
But another question.

In the 50s/60s/70s, did you have rivaling car gangs, maybe Mustang fans/Thunderbird fans/Corvette fans and so on?
I Imagine, there could have been some hardcore fans around the Mustang scene or maybe Cobra-scene? I mean, I totally understand that the Mustang is a legend, same as Cobra, Thunderbird, Vette and so on.
To get an excellent overview of the car-culture of the early-sixties to early seventies car culture you should watch "American Graffiti" multiple times.
It was George Lucas' autobiographical story of car-culture in Northern California in the early-sixties.
Why the line "Where were you in "62?" was used is largely due to the fact that first-year baby-boomers - born 1946 - turned sixteen that year. Sixteen was the year you got your driver's license and a measure of freedom and independence. (see the movie)
I grew up in Nashville, TN, very far from Northern California, but my high-school experiences (graduated 1966) were *exactly* as depicted in the movie. From the first time I saw it I observed that you could pick any one of the movie characters and put them in my high-school and nobody would have noticed.
I have to admit that not everyone of the students in my high-school were part of the car-culture, but a LOT were.
The automotive technology advanced rapidly in the late sixties - thank John Delorean (GTO) and others for coming up with the "muscle car" - medium size, light body, big engine.
Our cars were like in "AG" but faster and better looking.
We also put the later engines (much more HP) in the earlier bodies (1955-1962).
The early Mustangs were not all that fast, so their fans came later.
My character was similar to Curt (Richard Dreyfuss) the English-major academic who fell in with the hot-rodders by accident.
However, I was a future mechanical engineer, so I had good academic credentials, but fell into the hot-rodder society by intent.
The future engineers in my school were part of the hot-rod-hoodlum society and had great fun being there. It also eliminated bullying since they would defend us against the other-school bullies.
Also, listen to the "car-songs" of the sixties by the Beach Boys and others.
They sang songs about and to their cars... "409", "Little Deuce Coupe", "Dead Man's Curve", "I Get Around", etc., etc.
This is a small part of the story...

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you really live in the country and you really haul a lot of stuff, then having a monster truck is fine. But if you live in a congested urban area, share tight parking spaces with 1000 other people, and you work as an accountant in a cubicle, the ownership of a monster truck might just be an attempt to overcompensate.

If you really live in the country and you really haul a lot of stuff, then having a monster truck is fine. But if you live in a congested urban area, share tight parking spaces with 1000 other people, and you work as an accountant in a cubicle, the ownership of a monster truck might just be an attempt to overcompensate.
Yeah, that and the Harley. But in the latter case it’s at least good for recreation. My accountant — semi-retired, widowed — loves his hog, and I know him well enough to know it isn’t a pose.

I recall wondering aloud 20-plus years ago if the roads out in the more affluent suburbs were really going to hell, seeing how the parking lots at the upscale shopping malls were filled with Range Rovers and Lincoln Navigators and Cadillac Escalades. Somehow I found it hard to envision the owners of these high-end rides taking them off-roading, bouncing off trees and boulders.

A regular old pickup, though, full size or more compact, such as a Chevy Colorado or a Toyota Tacoma, among many others, prove their practicality for people who rarely have half a dozen people to transport but occasionally have to haul lumber or yard waste or gardening stuff. They have a/c and power windows and automatic transmissions, so they serve fine as daily drivers.

It’s called freedom. That’s why they can make picante sauce in New York City. I feel sorry for anyone who lives in a congested urban area & works as an accountant in a cubicle. They probably take a train or subway to work anyway, leaving me with two parking spaces for my monster truck.

IMG_5095.jpeg

rogueclimber

A-List Customer

Our two vehicles balance out...

IMG_0353.jpeg

I have no feelings of inadequacy driving to Starbucks in either one :cool:

^^^^^^
As I’ve noted before, I have little patience with adults who apparently think it their duty to tell kids that kind of claptrap. The one I heard at least a thousand times was “you can do anything you set your mind to.”

I knew it was pure nonsense, but I couldn’t say that lest I’d have had pain inflicted on my person.

The fool spewing that BS wouldn’t have believed it himself had he given it a moment’s thought. But thinking never was his strong suit.
By my sophomore year in high school I realized professional baseball was not going to be a career option. My 20/200 eyesight in one eye and the 'gross depth perception" that induced meant hitting the curveball was not going to be my strong suit. Shocking and disappointing but no amount of practice or positive affirmations would bring me to the point of hitting the bendy one.

It’s called freedom. That’s why they can make picante sauce in New York City. I feel sorry for anyone who lives in a congested urban area & works as an accountant in a cubicle. They probably take a train or subway to work anyway, leaving me with two parking spaces for my monster truck.

View attachment 637512
In my Senior year high school year book I wrote my career goal was to become a Chartered Accountant. I have no idea why I put that down.
I think it was a thought I had to put down something that sounded solid and substantial. The reality was I planned to continue my career working the carnival circuit but being a CA sounded much more adult.

My apologies for the post. Sometimes too many Karen threads/posts in a row get to me. My grandpa always told me to never miss a chance to keep my mouth shut. I should live by that more often.
My wife and I were in a smallish Oregon town and got sort of lost walking into town through a residential area. I stopped to ask a fellow for directions and as it was starting to rain he offered to drive us as he was headed that way. It wasn't a monster truck but it was jacked. An embarrassing moment as I struggled to lift myself up from the running board into the seat. Like a greenhorn trying to mount a 17hand high horse. We shared a laugh once I overcame the hurdle. I had to admit the elevated view of the road from up there was awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HvdB