Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

The one from the North

One of the Regulars
What style(s) do you have in mind?
Thank you all for great ideas, I'll look into them. I prefer my staff high quality but rather plain, so I'm thinking darkish wood with round brass or maybe silver knob. Knob should be on the heavy side, so I can whack someone if the need arises... :) I'm rather intrigued with Foxtrot Lamont's idea of a sword cane but they are illegal here. So I need to find an antique, but don't like the idea of actually using an antique. Although I know a couple of good blacksmiths, maybe have one made.

^^^^^^
I have three old canes that help fill out the umbrella stands they share with the old umbrellas and yardsticks I find hard to resist at yard sales and junktique emporia and the like. One of those canes, a simple wooden (ash?) crook, I suspect I’ll actually be using should I survive more than a couple-three more years (as seems likely), mostly because that cane is long enough for long-legged me. But that’s still pure speculation at this point, seeing how I have no experience in being cane-dependent.

I prefer simplicity in such things. I’d prefer a simple pine box over a fancy casket, for instance. Their beauty is in their being plenty good enough in their most basic form. Charles Eames’s banana-leaf parable comes to mind.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Thank you all for great ideas, I'll look into them. I prefer my staff high quality but rather plain, so I'm thinking darkish wood with round brass or maybe silver knob. Knob should be on the heavy side, so I can whack someone if the need arises... :)
Burger carries assortment brass and silver engraved knob sticks tailor fashioned for world class craftsmanship carved heirloom quality dependability. I've a trick knee incurred
several decades ago that necessitates a cane and I've decided to upgrade to a Burger
regular walking stick topped its custom warthog tusk handle.

^^^^^^^
I recall an old gal telling me, a good 30 years ago now, that each year passes faster than the one before it. She’s been gone about 25 years. In the years since I’ve found her observation to be more and more true.

I’ve also found that my recall of just when some past event had occurred is becoming less and less reliable. If it happened more than a couple-three years ago it might as well have been five or six. Creeping senility might have something to do with that, but it’s likelier that such chronologies are of less importance to me and for that reason I pay them less attention.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
tesla.jpg
What does an old guy with diarrhoea and
an electric car owner have in common?
They both hope that they will make it home.

Last edited:
^^^^^
And no one ever ran out of gas, eh?

I believe the odds of my owning an electric car are excellent, should I live more than just a few more years. And I’m looking forward to an array of photovoltaic panels on my rooftop, with which to charge up that car.

It’ll run real money, for sure. I suffer no illusions on that account. But gas-burning cars run real money, too.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
But I don't see much difference to Courier/ Courier New.
Not really a fair question for people whose native language isn't English. German letter forms are bound to be different from English-language ones. To start with you have four more letters, and that beta-looking one is a real puzzler for us. I once had a conversation with the Greek husband of a colleague and the subject of alphabetical order, or something similar, came up and I remember being surprised when he remarked that there are 24 letters in the alphabet. Then it dawned on me that he learned his letters in Greece!

As for other meanings, "pica" does have some interesting ones.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not really a fair question for people whose native language isn't English. German letter forms are bound to be different from English-language ones. To start with you have four more letters, and that beta-looking one is a real puzzler for us. I once had a conversation with the Greek husband of a colleague and the subject of alphabetical order, or something similar, came up and I remember being surprised when he remarked that there are 24 letters in the alphabet. Then it dawned on me that he learned his letters in Greece!

As for other meanings, "pica" does have some interesting ones.
It's the Latin word for magpie.

Actually, still having no trouble to get out of my (european) Futon bed. I will hold on it as long as possible. Otherwise, I could simply put something under it's feet to higher, if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123