Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You know you're getting old when the dentist you've been seeing since 1973 -- when he was fresh out of dental school -- sends you a postcard announcing his retirement. Thanks for the memories and the fillings, Dr. Slaughter.

You know you're getting old when the dentist you've been seeing since 1973 -- when he was fresh out of dental school -- sends you a postcard announcing his retirement. Thanks for the memories and the fillings, Dr. Slaughter.

Wow, yea, that's a moment to pause on. Dentists are so much happier than the doctors today. I have moved a few times and have had about five dentists in my life and they were all pretty happy about their work and did not complain about their "business" or "money" or "insurance" or any of the things that every doctor I've been to in the last twenty years has.

When I grew up, I went to the son of my Dad's dentists (the son had just come out of the Dental school and he was building his business on the kids of his father's practice - pretty neat model.)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Y'all

Both Dad and his Mother died at at least 92 and a half. The Doctor that did Dad's open heart surgery died of old age type stuff about 5-10 years before Dad did. Grandma went through three generations of Doctors with the same last name, Grandfather, Father, and son. Can't remember the last name, been to long.

Later

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

You remember these items in the home.

2vkm1cy.png

2mhfkva.png

(on occasion I still use them !

Or seeing this at home ;
n6s745.png

How many know what these were for ?

w7z9yf.jpg

Last edited:

cw3pa

A-List Customer
These came in real handy, if you know what they were used for.
you deserve a
"Gold Star" :)

vr8tvr.png
aya8zp.jpg

They are, as the second one says, water bags. The canvas material allows water to evaporate thus keeping the water a bit cooler. We had a couple of these when we crossed the desert in 1959 on our way to california on route 66.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

You remember these items in the home.

2vkm1cy.png

2mhfkva.png

(on occasion I still use them !

Or seeing this at home ;
n6s745.png

How many know what these were for ?

w7z9yf.jpg

I still have (and use) an eye cup. Nothing else gets crud out better than that. Yes, I know it is going to make me blind someday and rot out my eyeball. I boil the water I use in it good, though. A good friend is a Nurse Practitioner who runs her own practice and does (exclusively) house calls.

The last picture are candies. Occasionally you can find one with the candies still intact.

I once ate some of them on a dare from my father. The humidity had gotten the candies a long time ago and solidified the candy into this weird mass that was hard but brittle and powdery when it hit your mouth.

I did not die.

My father, on the other hand, was in a heap of trouble from my mother who was convinced it was bad parenting for a father to dare his five year old to eat candy older than either parent.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Yours started in 1973 and is just retiring? My last dentist, I started to see in 1976, and he has been retired for a few years now.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The glass thingies used to contain little candy sugar pellets. They had no particular flavor except "sugar" and made small children run around the room in circles.

And eventually running or paying a visit to the dentist .

My favorite was the cotton-candy & candy apples when the carnival came to town.

I still use the glass eyecup.

Btw: Does anyone know the answer to this.

When I was a kid with a head cold. One of the things my grandma would do was
was heat up the iron used for pressing clothes.
Wrap it in a towel & placed it to my feet. It felt good. But have no idea.
What was the purpose for this ?

When I was a kid with a head cold. One of the things my grandma would do was
was heat up the iron used for pressing clothes.
Wrap it in a towel & placed it to my feet. It felt good. But have no idea.
What was the purpose for this ?

Sounds like some form of heat therapy. Heat draws blood to the area, so if you heat your feet, it draws blood from an inflamed or congested area to your feet. Similar to a hot foot bath for the same thing.

Serious juice drinkers prefer the "Juice King" --

il_570xN.262556621.jpg

You know, growing up in central Florida, essentially in an orange grove, where we had fresh oranges all the time, and we would juice gallons at a time, months out of the year, you'd think we'd have had something like that. But noooooo...we still had to use the ol' "one at a time" grinder. Probably another one of my dad's plots to "build my character".

I love my Juice King. What I don't love are the crappy chemically-ripened oranges we get up here.

I remember people coming to Florida and seeing an orange on the tree for the first time, and refusing to eat them. No, they don't come off the tree dyed bright orange, polished and waxed with a little sticker on them.

As kids, we'd eat them off the tree (sometimes still green) by cutting a slit in them, sucking the juice out, ripping them open and then scraping the pulp out with our teeth. Only problem, it left juice dripping down your chin and arms, which acted as glue for the dirt we'd then play in. So I'd come home with a dirt goatee, and mother would say "you been eating oranges again?" "Huh? No...not me..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82