Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Hell, I lived through the Communist revolution in Cuba (the ousting of Batista in 1960) as well as the "duck and cover" exercises in school. "Conelrad" later became the Emergency Broadcast System. Our "noon whistle" was a daily test of the air raid/Civil Defense siren. I watched Nikita Kruschev pound his shoe on the podium and saying "we will attend your funeral." Most American media reported that he said, "We will bury you."

Yes, those were frightening times.

The "shoe banging" incident took place at the UN Assembly on September 23rd, 1960. It reminds me a bit of Kim Jung Un (a.k.a. "Soy Sauce Stain"). The latter being far more dangerous, giving the term "loose cannon" an entirely new meaning.

History repeats itself, repeats itself, repeats itself... :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old if you remember...
284049.png

28u4l0n.png

:);):cool::p:D:eek::oops:o_O:rolleyes::):):rolleyes:

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old when you know who "The Terrible Tempered Mr. Bang", "Little Woo-Woo Whortle (Who has never Been Spanked)", "Aunt Eppie Hogg (The fattest woman in three counties), "Powerful Katrinka", and of course "The Skipper" all were.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
You know you're getting old when the only reason something doesn't hurt is because it's numb--and everything itches. I may have said that before because your memory goes, too. Not your long term memory so much, just the short term part. But that's only because there hasn't been anything really worth remembering since you can't remember when.

EngProf

Practically Family
You know you are getting old when...
jadvuc.jpg

As a kid, you watched live “WaterGate" with the grownups from beginning to end.

But mostly to view this!
2d1u0rt.jpg

Mama Mia, Mo! :rolleyes:
If you watched the Watergate hearings as a kid, you're not old yet. We watched them each night as young adults and relived them the next day at work. We called ourselves "The Watergate Wallowers".

Captain O

One of the Regulars
If you watched the Watergate hearings as a kid, you're not old yet. We watched them each night as young adults and relived them the next day at work. We called ourselves "The Watergate Wallowers".

Wait, I was 18 years old when the Watergate Hearings began. I had pre-enlisted in the Navy and was preparing to graduate from High School.

*sigh* I guess that makes me old.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Wait, I was 18 years old when the Watergate Hearings began. I had pre-enlisted in the Navy and was preparing to graduate from High School.

*sigh* I guess that makes me old.

Nah...you’re only as old as you want to be! :mad:

My hair has started to thin on top and I have to think twice before
I bend down and I’ve lost some of my teeth on the left side.
My looks have aged but my spirit is still the same as when I was living
with my grandma many moons ago.
I have been blessed that I dont have a serious physical ailment that
prevents
me from being active. I go to the senior center to visit those
that can no longer be active. The smiles they give me is the best medicine
in the world for me.

ok...Ill get off the podium!

I got to feed Polo....he
s outside and he keeps looking at his watch
hinting it’s time to eat!
:(

6qwryu.jpg

Last edited:

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Nah...you’re only as old as you want to be! :mad:

My hair has started to thin on top and I have to think twice before
I bend down and I’ve lost some of my teeth on the left side.
My looks have aged but my spirit is still the same as when I was living
with my grandma many moons ago.
I have been blessed that I dont have a serious physical ailment that
prevents
me from being active. I go to the senior center to visit those
that can no longer be active. The smiles they give me is the best medicine
in the world for me.

ok...Ill get off the podium!

I got to feed Polo....he
s outside and he keeps looking at his watch
hinting it’s time to eat!
:(

6qwryu.jpg

I'm a "cat person" and like Polo. He's my kind of boy!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm a "cat person" and like Polo. He's my kind of boy!

There’s something about that little guy.
My next door neighbor is crazy about him .

I’ll be taking the train to Temecula, Calif. next month.
She says she will gladly take care of him for me.

I have my fingers crossed. ;)

And you know you are getting old when you are taking
the Amtrak instead of flying because you think the trains
are built like the ones in the movie. “From Russia With Love”.

I will try and post on the forum when I
m on the train.
Although I get “carsick” faster than a speeding bullet! :(

Last edited:
...And you know you are getting old when you are taking the Amtrak instead of flying because you think the trains are built like the ones in the movie. “From Russia With Love”...
You're better off. Several years ago my wife and I rode the Williams Flyer from Williams (Arizona) to the Grand Canyon, and the "authentic" passenger cars had wood slat bench seats. After 30 minutes our backs were aching, and we still had an hour and 45 minutes to endure before we arrived. And after spending a whopping 90 minutes at the Canyon we had to endure another two hour and 15 minute ride back to Williams. o_O Seemed like a good idea at the time...

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
We once took the Auto train to Florida about 25 years ago. The northern end of the line is just a few miles from home. It's a nice way to go. Dining car and everything.

I was in middle school for Watergate, but remember it as one of those events that you knew was important in two distinct ways.

One, you knew that having a president potentially impeached / one who lied to cover up law breaking / one who had to resign was big because you were old enough to understand, at a level, this was big stuff.

But you also could see and feel the real tension, the real concern it brought out in the adults. I was born a couple years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, so Watergate was the first event that I remember the adults being really, truly concerned about in a way that made you question if the country you assumed would alway be there would / if life would change meaningfully.

Today, I assume everything could go away in a flash from bombs, to financial collapse, to social unrest, to..., but at ten years old, I subconsciously just assumed things like societal stability and the US would be there. Watergate - mainly from the reaction of the adults - was (I think) the first event in my life that shook that confidence.

...And you know you are getting old when you are taking
the Amtrak instead of flying because you think the trains
are built like the ones in the movie. “From Russia With Love”.

I will try and post on the forum when I
m on the train.
Although I get “carsick” faster than a speeding bullet! :(

Disappointing yes, but on its best days, Amtrak can still be the most civilized way to travel today. Again, on a good day, for example, the Acela is a comfortable train to ride.

It's funny, I get brutal car sickness, but am fine on trains (part of why I love train travel so much).

There are some special trains - mainly high-end tourist runs - that seem to capture the elegance of "From Russia With Love," but they are very expensive and really about the trip - they are not real commuting or getting-from-point-A-to-point-B options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82