Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Pleased to report that the hernia repair was a walk in the park (had the surgery in the morning, was out walking the dogs that evening) and that it is holding. Most -- about 90 percent -- of the type I have are successful. I'm acquainted with a couple of unfortunates whose repairs failed. It can be quite disabling.

As to the imaging ... Yeah, the photos I've seen show more detail than many might be comfortable with. I'm not concerned by it -- not for myself, anyway. Anyone who would linger over such images of me is a person in sorrowful need of entertainment, so I'm happy to oblige.

That's great to hear. Amazing what they do as outpatient surgery today. Stay healthy my friend.

Ah, comes to my mind:
Next year, 40th anniversary of "Saturday Nigh Fever".

I guess, fashion-industry will like this very much und maybe relaunch something... o_Oo_Oo_O

Or with a little luck, they will have it forgotten. ;)

Ah, comes to my mind:
Next year, 40th anniversary of "Saturday Nigh Fever".

I guess, fashion-industry will like this very much und maybe relaunch something... o_Oo_Oo_O

Or with a little luck, they will have it forgotten. ;)

Every few years, the fashion industry dips its toe in the '70s revival water and quickly pulls it out. Sure, one or two things will have a little success, but I doubt very much if a full-on '70s clothing revival is just around the corner. Those clothes were, on the whole, with very few exceptions, not at all attractive.

Every few years, the fashion industry dips its toe in the '70s revival water and quickly pulls it out. Sure, one or two things will have a little success, but I doubt very much if a full-on '70s clothing revival is just around the corner. Those clothes were, on the whole, with very few exceptions, not at all attractive.

And I guess, razor-industry wouldn't like the 70's, with so much hair again. :D:D:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The problem with the so called 70s revival is, they always concentrate on the tail end, the Disco Era! Early to mid 70s clothing has never really gone out of fashion. Bluejeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, tennis shoes, leather jackets and jean jackets just keep on keeping on!

Well, I'm with you there. Here's the Fleetwood Mac I remember from my high school days! Then there's the Stevie Nicks edition. You would never connect them, but for the name.

First incarnation was rock, the second lounge rock (but darn fine lounge rock at that). That said, there's an early recording I've seen of Rhiannon that had a real raw rock sound to it versus later versions.

First incarnation was rock, the second lounge rock (but darn fine lounge rock at that). That said, there's an early recording I've seen of Rhiannon that had a real raw rock sound to it versus later versions.

It's funny when talking about Fleetwood Mac...so many people will tell you how much they hate the "new" version, but loved the "Peter Green version". Then you ask them their favorite record..."uh..." Can you name a song by the Green-era band? "Uh....." They just repeat what they've read and they're really huge fans of Rhiannon and Landslide. But it's cool to be critical of the later incarnation of the band.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Despite being in my sixties, I only heard the earlier incarnation of Mac for the first time recently... and was thoroughly unimpressed. More Brits playing blues, and not at the rarified level of say, Clapton. I guess you had to be into them back then.

The post-1975 Mac however, is classic, a still-unique blend of English and Californian styles. Commercial rock? Sure, but their well-made songs and recordings that have held up.

⇧ Like you, I only learned about the early incarnation Fleetwood Mac decades later as it took both a retrospective societal look at rock and roll - which took off in the '90s - and the internet providing access to, well, everything for me to "discover" it. I've listened to the early stuff - and see that it is "grittier -" but don't care, it doesn't sing to me like the stuff that made them famous. I can say the same thing about Buckingham Nicks (learned about it later, get that it's more raw, but I'm not pro-actively choosing to listen to it either).

Here's the thing, I openly admit I like Fleetwood Mac's music (so I'm not being too cool of school), but I also get that there's a cheese factor at work - it feels a bit too packaged, a bit too aiming to please, a bit to calculating and not straight-from-the-heart (maybe "Songbirds" is, but it, too, falls short of "Wild Horses" for unvarnished emotion).

Here's the thing, I openly admit I like Fleetwood Mac's music (so I'm not being too cool of school), but I also get that there's a cheese factor at work - it feels a bit too packaged, a bit too aiming to please, a bit to calculating and not straight-from-the-heart (maybe "Songbirds" is, but it, too, falls short of "Wild Horses" for unvarnished emotion).

See, I think much of the Buckingham/Nicks-era Fleetwood Mac stuff is very straight from the heart. Much of their popular work was directed at each other (Landslide, Go Your Own Way, Silver Springs, etc), and while perhaps a bit packaged and cheesy, I think was honest and direct.

See, I think much of the Buckingham/Nicks-era Fleetwood Mac stuff is very straight from the heart. Much of their popular work was directed at each other (Landslide, Go Your Own Way, Silver Springs, etc), and while perhaps a bit packaged and cheesy, I think was honest and direct.

That's a really fair and, IMHO, accurate distinction. The ones you mentioned plus "The Chain" are basically those two having their breakup fights in public. The words are real (and at times nasty, hurtful and sad), but as you imply, something, at some level, in the music doesn't live up to the honesty of the words.

Also, those songs and a few others are probably the closest the band got to feeling fully there. "Second Hand News" is another - I really enjoy it, but it just misses the mark for both great words or music. A little more time spent on the lyrics for that one would have paid off.

Maybe, they just were clever enough, to apply the right way of melancholie, the masses like. And they repeated it the best 80's-way on "Tango on the night". They knew, how to get the masses. :)

Paul Butterfield Blues Band, 1965. :cool::cool::cool:

The "original era" Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie) was basically John Mayall & The Blues Breakers, without John Mayall. Mayall was a notorious hard driving band leader. Even Eric Clapton (whom Green replaced) said with Mayall there was no sex, drugs and rock n roll...it was just 24 hours of playing the blues. Nothing else was tolerated.

That's a really fair and, IMHO, accurate distinction. The ones you mentioned plus "The Chain" are basically those two having their breakup fights in public. The words are real (and at times nasty, hurtful and sad), but as you imply, something, at some level, in the music doesn't live up to the honesty of the words.

Also, those songs and a few others are probably the closest the band got to feeling fully there. "Second Hand News" is another - I really enjoy it, but it just misses the mark for both great words or music. A little more time spent on the lyrics for that one would have paid off.

I don't think Buckingham or Nicks were great songwriters in that sense. I mean, neither were Bob Dylan or Tom Waits, but there's an honesty to their music, and it works fine. It's not spectacular or anything, but they made good pop tunes, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'd like to know who do you think is a great songwriter if not Bob Dylan?!? I'm no fan of his voice/performance, but he's a remarkale songwriter.

Sorry, perhaps that read a little ambiguously...neither Buckingham or Nicks were as good of songwriters as Dylan and Waits were/are. Dylan's on the Mt. Rushmore of American "rock and roll era" songwriters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe