Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Cool...didn’t think anybody would get it!
svqalg.gif

View attachment 56311

I could no more leave these three alone in a car- hot or otherwise- than leave a baby alone in a car.

Our former neighbor and still very close friend has an English Springer Spaniel who has spent, at least, a third of his life with us for various reasons. I know this dog better than any dog I've ever known and can tell from how he's walking to how he holds his head what he needs / wants / is bothering him / etc.

A few years back, I'm walking him in Central Park on a very warm spring day when they hadn't yet turned on the water fountains (and dog fountains - yup, we got those). About an hour in, I'm turning back and look down at the little fella and can tell the heat has hit him hard. Usually, at this point, I'd get him some water to drink and, then, pour some on his head and body (rub some on his belly) and he picks right up.

But, again, all the fountains are off. Then, naturally, I see a ice-cream, soda, water vendor, which I usually ignore because the ones in the Park are so expensive. A small Poland Spring bottle costs about $3 if memory serves. As an aside, while the prices are high and even though some of the vendors own their carts, they barely make enough to survive - it's a tough business and a hardscrabble existence. Which is why I tip the few times I buy something from them as you never know if this guy owns his cart or not.

Anyway, I look back down at my dog and he's dying down there, over at the vendor, back at the dog and, well you know where this is going: $3 later and I'm using one hand as a bowl for him to lap up the water. Then, I use the last half of the bottle to pour over his head and back and to rub some on his belly. At this point, he is completely reinvigorated. As I stand up, I notice that the vendor has watched this entire event.

Okay, while I have nothing to complain about, my girlfriend and I do not live a NYC lifestyle -we're pretty frugal, and have to be, but to that vendor, at that moment, I'm just another *sshole New Yorker with more money than sense who just spent $3 to give his dog some water while the vendor scrapes and saves every penny just to get by.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Our former neighbor and still very close friend has an English Springer Spaniel who has spent, at-least, a third of his life with us for various reasons. I know this dog better than any dog I've ever known and can tell from how he's walking to how he holds his head what he needs / wants / is bothering him / etc.

A few years back, I'm walking him in Central Park on a very warm spring day when they hadn't yet turned on the water fountains (and dog fountains - yup, we got those). About an hour in, I'm turning back and look down at the little fella and can tell the heat has hit him hard. Usually, at this point, I'd get him some water to drink and, then, pour some on his head and body (rub some on his belly) and he picks right up.

But, again, all the fountains are off. Then, naturally, I see a ice-cream, soda, water vendor, which I usually ignore because the ones in the Park are so expensive. A small Poland Spring bottle costs about $3 if memory serves. As an aside, while the prices are high and even though some of the vendors own their carts, they barely make enough to survive - it's a tough business and a hardscrabble existence. Which is why I tip the few times I buy something from them as you never know if this guy owns his cart or not.

Anyway, I look back down at my dog and he's dying down there, over at the vendor, back at the dog and, well you know where this is going: $3 later and I'm using one hand as a bowl for him to lap up the water. Then, I use the last half of the bottle to pour over his head and back and to rub some on his belly. At this point, he is completely reinvigorated. As I stand up, I notice that the vendor has watched this entire event.

Okay, while I have nothing to complain about, my girlfriend and I do not live a NYC lifestyle -we're pretty frugal, and have to be, but to that vendor, at that moment, I'm just another *sshole New Yorker with more money than sense who just spent $3 to give his dog some water while the vendor scrapes and saves every penny just to get by.

Pay no never mind to this vendor my friend.
I’m sure Gandhi would have smiled at your deed.
I know I am.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
This year when we went to the Union Antique Music Show the lady whom I had hired to watch over Mom and Dad while we were away informed me at the last moment that she would not come if the dog was in the house. So I had to take Buddy, our Beagle-Basset mix with us.

The hotel was no problem, but at the show one or the other of us stayed at the car with the dog the entire time we were there, except for one brief moment when the I noticed that the dog was thirsty and his water had nearly run out. So, in to the show to pick up a bottle of water. When I returned to the car there were a couple people making quite a commotion, and one was getting ready to smash a window, which of course got little Buddy into quite a tizzy.

Just before the gink smashed up my toy hauler (an ancient Oldsmobile mini-van) Buddy pressed the electric door operator button (as he was trained to do) the side door opened, and the pooch came charging out letting the fellow know just what he thought of senseless vandalism.

Bud is a smart pup, he has long since learned to operate the door on the van, and uses it to come and go as he pleases. He even closes the door after himself - most of the time. Unfortunately he has also learned how to operate the latches on our gates. This is why he wears a GPS locator on his collar.

Here is our little Buddy. He doesn't look like a much, but he has a sweet nature, seldom barks (save at the mailman or at any Postal truck on the street) and is smart as a whip, though we are thankful that he does not have the willful nature common to so many beagles.
Buddy.jpg

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One Texas summer .
A crowd had gathered outside grocery store parking lot.
A dog almost half dead from the heat was being administered
water by someone.
Nearby was a truck with a smashed window.
The owner was standing next to it.
The folks had a few words for this fellow.

I can’t repeat them all.
But this one stayed with me.

“If your dog survives, he’ll still look up to you
with trust and affection as if nothing happened,
you p.o.s.”

He didn’t say a word...just kept his head down.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Nesmith himself also made a lot of money in early video which is why he never did any of the Monkey's reunion tours.

While he did not participate anywhere near the degree that Dolenz, Jones and Tork did, Nesmith did in fact take part in several one-off concerts and half a dozen tours of varying lengths, as recently as 2012 and 2015 and indeed he is expected at the final concert this year, in fact September 16th, though he has announced that this will be his last time ever appearing as a Monkee.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
While he did not participate anywhere near the degree that Dolenz, Jones and Tork did, Nesmith did in fact take part in several one-off concerts and half a dozen tours of varying lengths, as recently as 2012 and 2015 and indeed he is expected at the final concert this year, in fact September 16th, though he has announced that this will be his last time ever appearing as a Monkee.
Well, last time until he dies, when the headlines will read, "one of the Monkee's died today!"

I stand corrected - the few times I saw them in the '80s, he wasn't with them and I thought I had read that he didn't play with them because he didn't need to, but clearly I was wrong about him never playing with them.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I stand corrected - the few times I saw them in the '80s, he wasn't with them and I thought I had read that he didn't play with them because he didn't need to, but clearly I was wrong about him never playing with them.

Not a criticism, he was low key and usually "busy with other projects". Most of the time it was the threesome of Jones, Dolenz and Tork, and recently of course the duo of D&T with Davy's sad young passing. I remember the first big comeback in '86 just as I was finishing high school. I got into 60s music before (then) current fashions and I'd watched the show in re-runs as a kid (I still remember trying that cross legged walk they did with my friend Billy Hooper), so that was a big deal for me, though I couldn't manage tickets.

Not a criticism, he was low key and usually "busy with other projects". Most of the time it was the threesome of Jones, Dolenz and Tork, and recently of course the duo of D&T with Davy's sad young passing. I remember the first big comeback in '86 just as I was finishing high school. I got into 60s music before (then) current fashions and I'd watched the show in re-runs as a kid (I still remember trying that cross legged walk they did with my friend Billy Hooper), so that was a big deal for me, though I couldn't manage tickets.

None taken at all - appreciate the more-accurate info that you have.

I was really lucky as the company I worked for in '86 got some tickets to the event and I went with a group from work. I grew up with the Monkeys on reruns (I'm about five years older than you) in the early '70s and was really excited to see them live. They were outstanding - engaged, entertaining, seemed to be having fun and put on an enjoyable show. Their music is pop fun / and that's how they played it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I just noticed an interesting thing about the Monkee's. It appears that a lot of their fans were either to young or not born while their show was new. Most of the people I know who were around during first run, either hate them, or like my self, are just not fans. I wounder why? Were we just spoiled with so many top groups that they just got lost in the shuffle? Did we all buy into the "Prefab Four" line? Just curious what others think?

EngProf

Practically Family
I just noticed an interesting thing about the Monkee's. It appears that a lot of their fans were either to young or not born while their show was new. Most of the people I know who were around during first run, either hate them, or like my self, are just not fans. I wounder why? Were we just spoiled with so many top groups that they just got lost in the shuffle? Did we all buy into the "Prefab Four" line? Just curious what others think?
I was around when they came out. I think their music was better than what they got credit for at the time, to a large extent because the TV show was just too silly. For my part the show hurt my impression of their music.
When I hear their music on the radio today I think it's at least above average.

Our former neighbor and still very close friend has an English Springer Spaniel who has spent, at least, a third of his life with us for various reasons. I know this dog better than any dog I've ever known and can tell from how he's walking to how he holds his head what he needs / wants / is bothering him / etc.

Did the vendor say something to you? If not, I wouldn't necessarily think the vendor thought that of you. Dogs can't regulate heat the way we do, and they can get dehydrated in a hurry. I'd have thought "now there's a guy who's taking care of his dog." Of course, I have soft spot for animals, and for dogs in particular. It breaks my heart to see people who can't recognize a dog's needs.

I was around when they came out. I think their music was better than what they got credit for at the time, to a large extent because the TV show was just too silly. For my part the show hurt my impression of their music.
When I hear their music on the radio today I think it's at least above average.

I think they did some good stuff. Nothing wrong with a fun little pop tune. I think a couple of them, particularly Nesmith who was a songwriter, and Peter Tork, who was an actual serious musician, got frustrated at times. But that's what they signed up to be...actors portraying a band in a comedy show. I saw an interview with Mickey Dolenz where he talked about meeting the Beatles once, and they were nervous because they thought the Beatles would be put off by the "pre-fab four" thing. But Dolenz said it was a blast, and that John Lennon in particular was a fan. He said Lennon got the whole deal and even commented "you guys are like the rock 'n roll Marx Brothers" of whom Lennon was a huge fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82