Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You and I have lived in parallel universes. Tobacco is something that I could never quit, yet I did, in my mid twenties. Alcohol was also a substance that might have proved difficult to master, rather than it master me, but I cracked that too.
And long before the feminine movement, it occurred to me that a one night stand was all about my own gratification, thinking of my sexual partner as an object rather than as an equal. There weren't that many, but truly, one is too many.
I too am in my seventh decade, but it's only a figure on the calendar of life. I'm much too young to be old.

Smoking the "peace-pipe" of reality!
Great !;)

Last edited:
You and I have lived in parallel universes. Tobacco is something that I could never quit, yet I did, in my mid twenties. Alcohol was also a substance that might have proved difficult to master, rather than it master me, but I cracked that too.
And long before the feminine movement, it occurred to me that a one night stand was all about my own gratification, thinking of my sexual partner as an object rather than as an equal. There weren't that many, but truly, one is too many.
I too am in my seventh decade, but it's only a figure on the calendar of life. I'm much too young to be old.

There's enough gratification to go around. I never saw myself as being any more exploitative than the women who chose to take me for a spin around the block. Their presence was in no way less willing than my own.

Cigars are such a fine thing and never addicted me.

I could everytime go to one of these more or less well-assorted tobacco-stores, grab a single welded-in DomRep-longfiller for 1,95 Euro and have a yummy evening.

But I got never any abstinence-symptoms. On puffing, just 10% of the smoke goes into your lungs. ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I could everytime go to one of these more or less well-assorted tobacco-stores, grab a single welded-in DomRep-longfiller for 1,95 Euro and have a yummy evening.

But I got never any abstinence-symptoms. On puffing, just 10% of the smoke goes into your lungs. ;)

Only 10 % of the smoke goes into your lungs?
Who are you kidding?

All tobacco smoke carry the same health risks --
and sometimes even greater risks -- than cigarettes.
Cigars are wrapped in tobacco leaves, and unlike cigarettes,
they don’t have filters.

Any % of smoke that goes into your lungs is bad....period.

Happy puffing! ;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Only 10 % of the smoke goes into your lungs?
Who are you kidding?

All tobacco smoke carry the same health risks --
and sometimes even greater risks -- than cigarettes.
Cigars are wrapped in tobacco leaves, and unlike cigarettes,
they don’t have filters.

Any % of smoke that goes into your lungs is bad....period.

Happy puffing! ;)
From what I have been told over the years, natural tobacco is not very addicting, it's the additives that hook people. But I agree, smoke isn't good for the body, glad I never smoked enough to get hooked! Though, I do love the smell of a camp fire! Then again, I don't stand there taking deep breaths.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
From what I have been told over the years, natural tobacco is not very addicting, it's the additives that hook people. But I agree, smoke isn't good for the body, glad I never smoked enough to get hooked! Though, I do love the smell of a camp fire! Then again, I don't stand there taking deep breaths.

I love the aroma of some pipe tobaccos, but I never smoked enough to get hooked.
I was able to stop long ago.
And second-hand smoke is just as bad.

I also love the smell of a camp fire.
But like you, I never stand there long enough to get addicted.

I wouldn’t know how to deal with it if I got hooked.
I mean....lighting up a camp fire every time I had the urge.

(Last lines typed with a puff of sarcasm) :D

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The actor in that advert is one Gregor Fisher, a man with such a talent for facial expression.
He portrays a comic character called Rab C Nesbitt.Wickedly funny, but heavy on the Glaswegian accent. You have to listen very carefully.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I love the aroma of some pipe tobaccos, but I never smoked enough to get hooked.
I was able to stop long ago.
And second-hand smoke is just as bad.

I also love the smell of a camp fire.
But like you, I never stand there long enough to get addicted.

I wouldn’t know how to deal with it if I got hooked.
I mean....lighting up a camp fire every time I had the urge.

(Last lines typed with a puff of sarcasm) :D
I am still trying to picture the first smoker trying to convince the second to try it. "Here, stick this in your mouth and light it on fire!":confused:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Are you kidding ?
I’m still trying to picture the first Maine native trying to convince himself that oysters are good for putting on a plate raw
and eating it. :(
The missus and I were watching a wildlife program about sea birds. An oyster catcher came into camera shot with an oyster in it's beak. "Looks like he's pulled a mussel," I quipped. Hours later, and she was still giggling over it.
I was tempted to say, "Little things please little minds," but I knew better not to.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The missus and I were watching a wildlife program about sea birds. An oyster catcher came into camera shot with an oyster in it's beak. "Looks like he's pulled a mussel," I quipped. Hours later, and she was still giggling over it.
I was tempted to say, "Little things please little minds," but I knew better not to.

Something that might have been said to the missus in the first year of the marriage without thinking
of the consequences....perhaps? :D

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I’m still trying to picture the first Maine native trying to convince himself that oysters are good for putting on a plate raw and eating it. :(

Man has been eating oysters ever since he started foraging the coastlines a few hundred thousand years ago......by the time colonialists or even native Americans started eating oysters in Maine, they were merely following a long tradition.........not sure about plates though. :D

Incidently, oysters are yummy, especially when accompanied by a small glass of Muscadet or a large glass of draught Guinness. :)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Man has been eating oysters ever since he started foraging the coastlines a few hundred thousand years ago......by the time colonialists or even native Americans started eating oysters in Maine, they were merely following a long tradition.........not sure about plates though.

Incidently, oysters are yummy, especially when accompanied by a small glass of Muscadet or a large glass of draught Guinness. :)

That Man has been eating these slimy, yucky shellfish probably since Adam & Eve
were on their honeymoon is one thing.

I’m still trying to picture who was the first.

Just a thought! :D
kckp3p.jpg

Are you kidding ?

I’m still trying to picture the first Maine native trying to convince himself that oysters are good for putting on a plate raw
and eating it. :(

A lot of foods fall into this category. I enjoy lobster as much as the next guy, but every once in awhile, I look at the thing alive and realize - despite years and years of The Boys in Marketing create a "cute" image for it - the darn think looks like an gigantic and gross bug.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A lot of foods fall into this category. I enjoy lobster as much as the next guy, but every once in awhile, I look at the thing alive and realize - despite years and years of The Boys in Marketing create a "cute" image for it - the darn think looks like an gigantic and gross bug.

I've never given the "BFM" much
thought one way or another ever
since I found out who that jolly
old man in red suit really was.

And you're right about the "gigantic and gross bug." :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82