Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW1 Uniform

Hondo

One Too Many
Thought I would share or show these off, my Great grandfathers WWI uniform. First photo as 2nd Lt. France 1917 and uniform in its present condition. :cool:

France 1917

WW01.jpg

Front

570coat.jpg

Shoulder patch, AA

530coat.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are very blessed to own that uniform, Hondo. Well preserved. I wish the character of that generation held up as well. Thanks for the look at something so personal and inspiring.

dean

Jay

Practically Family
That is really nice. I wish I had tangible things from my families past. You are luck indeed. And a picture of him wearing it to boot (to war? whatever fits, I suppose...) .

carebear

If anyone wants to read a good book about an American who joined the Canadian Army to fight in WWI (because the US was taking too long), I can recommend.

"A Rifleman Went to War" by Capt. Herbert W. McBride.

Talks about the state militia system pre-war in the US and his experiences in sniping, machineguns and trench warfare after he got overseas with the Canucks.

Good solid info and very readable.

Available from Amazon and numerous other more "gun" oriented sources.

http://www.amazon.com/Rifleman-Went-War-H-McBride/dp/0935856013

deanglen

Dixon Cannon said:
2350f618.jpg

..just after the Great War, USMC with a Springfield 03-A3.

-dixon cannon

There's something about a man in uniform! Great shot, Dixon. From the campaign cover on down, he looks 100% Marine. Love those high crown montana peaks. A dad to be proud of!;)

dean

Hondo

One Too Many
Great photo Dixon :eusa_clap
I should keep this uniform in air lock garment bag, for now it’s just in back of my closet in one of those plastic dry cleaner bags.
In the photo, you can not see his riding boots, while he didn’t win metals, the stories I heard were fascinating, WWI officer part time Army Chaplin and with Gen. John “Black jack” Perishing, on the Mexican border chasing Poncho Villa, later L.A. county Sheriff. Met him only once when I was 8 yrs old.
Oddly after he died, I went down hill, but have since rebounded.
I think that last WWI veteran was a Canadian who recently passed away.
With WWII vets slowing disappearing. Let remember all veterans, from all wars
This Memorial Day Weekend, my pleasure to share :)

Dixon Cannon

Hondo said:
Great photo Dixon :eusa_clap
I should keep this uniform in air lock garment bag, for now it’s just in back of my closet in one of those plastic dry cleaner bags.
In the photo, you can not see his riding boots, my pleasure to share :)

That uniform of yours is a museum piece. It deserves a hermetically sealed display case! Thanks for sharing it and your story!

-dixon cannon

mikepara

Practically Family
Hondo, great pics, Was he in the 82d Division?

Boy, I'm really jealous of people who have stuff belonging to, or photos, or knew their Grandparents.

Dixon Cannon

You betcha!...

mikepara said:

Boy, I'm really jealous of people who have stuff belonging to, or photos, or knew their Grandparents.

My Dad was born in 1901! I never met his parents but I even have photos of them taken back in the late 1800's, including some of their elderly parents! One surviving tin-type. My Dad was a collector himself and passed on a lot of his stuff to me. I've got all kinds of odds and ends that were his back in that 'Golden Era' we speak of.

-dixon cannon

Hondo

One Too Many
mikepara said:

Good thinking, I nearly forgot! You are correct! :eusa_clap
I also have the U.S. flag that draped his coffin, I wish I had his boots and more.

Some info below, he was in France in 1917, so dated on photo.

82nd_WWI_insignia.jpg

World War I

WWI 82nd Division Shoulder Sleeve Insignia.

Between April and July, 1918, less than a year after its formation, the division deployed in small unit groups to France to fight in World War I as the 82nd Infantry Division. In nearly five months of combat the 82nd fought in three major campaigns and helped to break the German Imperial Army. Alvin Cullum York was a soldier in the division and became famous for his heroism in World War I. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, killing 20 German soldiers and capturing 132 others.

* World War I Casualties

1. 1,298 Killed in Action
2. 6,248 Wounded in Action

After the Great War, the 82nd was demobilized May 27, 1919 at Camp Upton, at Yaphank, New York. The 82nd was reconstituted on June 24, 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters, 82nd Division, and was organized on September 23, 1921 at Columbia, South Carolina.

Hondo

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
My Dad was born in 1901! I never met his parents but I even have photos of them taken back in the late 1800's, including some of their elderly parents! One surviving tin-type. My Dad was a collector himself and passed on a lot of his stuff to me. I've got all kinds of odds and ends that were his back in that 'Golden Era' we speak of.

-dixon cannon

Yeah very interesting, would enjoy seeing scans or pictures Thanks! :)

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Already posted this on a differant thread but thought it should be here instead. This is my grandfather who served with the Blackwatch during WW1. As the story goes he ran away from home at the age of 14 to join up in 1914.

502871498_cd022c0bbb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82