Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Looking for my one and done

Mote1

New in Town
Dear TFL,

I have been using your collective wisdom for research on leather jackets for the past couple of months. It's a real pleasure to read the insights of passionate knowledgeable people.

I am looking for a solid, "no nonsense" good quality used leather jacket that I could be buried with in 35-50 years (being optimistic on several fronts here).
My measurements are:
PTP 23
Shoulders 20
Length: 25 (but could go longer)
sleeves: 24-25 or thereabouts. (my wrists are 24 and would prefer that length)
I'm 5'9" and about 185 lbs.

In general, something like the Aero Plainsman on the short side or Lost Worlds Downtown on the long side are to my taste, though I'm open to slightly tighter builds if they are a bit longer. I am looking for Horsehide by preference, though a great quality Steer hide could work...

My preferences are more minimalist than ornate: no buckles, studs, etc. Would prefer zipped diagonal side pockets to B2 style pockets, but that in itself is not a deal breaker.
I like colorful linings - really enjoy looking at the tartan designs on Aeros - but would not be opposed to solid nice ones either. Prefer thick but not wool - ideally I could wear this in a mild fall or early spring day, and layer up with sweaters when it's really cold (in the New England area of the U.S.)

Finally: my budget is around $500 max - prefer $350-450. Any more and I risk divorce...and my wife is alright - I'd like to keep the marriage if possible :)

If you have anything in your closet that you're not really wearing, and wouldn't mind getting it to a new home, please get in touch!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Dear TFL,

I have been using your collective wisdom for research on leather jackets for the past couple of months. It's a real pleasure to read the insights of passionate knowledgeable people.

I am looking for a solid, "no nonsense" good quality used leather jacket that I could be buried with in 35-50 years (being optimistic on several fronts here).
My measurements are:
PTP 23
Shoulders 20
Length: 25 (but could go longer)
sleeves: 24-25 or thereabouts. (my wrists are 24 and would prefer that length)
I'm 5'9" and about 185 lbs.

In general, something like the Aero Plainsman on the short side or Lost Worlds Downtown on the long side are to my taste, though I'm open to slightly tighter builds if they are a bit longer. I am looking for Horsehide by preference, though a great quality Steer hide could work...

My preferences are more minimalist than ornate: no buckles, studs, etc. Would prefer zipped diagonal side pockets to B2 style pockets, but that in itself is not a deal breaker.
I like colorful linings - really enjoy looking at the tartan designs on Aeros - but would not be opposed to solid nice ones either. Prefer thick but not wool - ideally I could wear this in a mild fall or early spring day, and layer up with sweaters when it's really cold (in the New England area of the U.S.)

Finally: my budget is around $500 max - prefer $350-450. Any more and I risk divorce...and my wife is alright - I'd like to keep the marriage if possible :)

If you have anything in your closet that you're not really wearing, and wouldn't mind getting it to a new home, please get in touch!
Vanson Enfield size 40 and you are done. Vansons leather is made to last, the fit is very functional, you can find them used for as little as 300 USD on ebay. Enfield would be my choice of style for casual off the bike wear, a Model B would work well too i guess if you can live with the more motorish collar.

edit: here is a link to me in mine, size 38.. I am 5'9, 170 lbs
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-jacket-are-you-wearing-today.82949/post-3085440

Last edited:

Mote1

New in Town
Vanson Enfield size 40 and you are done. Vansons leather is made to last, the fit is very functional, you can find them used for as little as 300 USD on ebay. Enfield would be my choice of style for casual off the bike wear, a Model B would work well too i guess if you can live with the more motorish collar.

edit: here is a link to me in mine, size 38.. I am 5'9, 170 lbs
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-jacket-are-you-wearing-today.82949/post-3085440
Thanks for the detailed reply! Nice photo, too- looks good on you. This is close to what I have in mind! I am a bit...err... rounder in the gut area, which makes a longer jacket a better look. I live in MA - maybe, if I can't get traction on my online attempts, I'll drive the couple of hours to the Vanson shop and look around.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the detailed reply! Nice photo, too- looks good on you. This is close to what I have in mind! I am a bit...err... rounder in the gut area, which makes a longer jacket a better look. I live in MA - maybe, if I can't get traction on my online attempts, I'll drive the couple of hours to the Vanson shop and look around.
Go check them out! They also have longer styles, e.g. the barncoat inspired Dakota. Definitely worth a visit, I wish I lived that close by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust