Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Aero FQHH jackets become a little wider after some years of wearing

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, the premier pattern is MUCH slimmer than even the slim fit half belt.

In a size 40 slim fit half belt I can synch the side straps all the way and still have too much room in the stomach. On the size 40 premier fit I have to wear it without synching them.....big difference.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I just got an Aero Premier Fit 1930s Halfbelt a week or so ago. I took advantage of Insurection/Thurston Brothers' fit jacket programme, and am sure glad that I did! After talking with Carrie on the phone, discussing what I was after, and giving her my measurements, she sent me a regular 1930's halfbelt to try on.

Granted I'm VERY particular about fit, but the test jacket did not fit me at all. I'm 6' tall, 220lbs, have ridiculously long arms, a barrel chest, and a 10" drop from my chest to my waist. Imagine an old time circus strongman, but with longer, less bulky arms, and you know my body type. I'm obviously really hard to fit, and have been spoiled in that I'm accustomed to wearing true bespoke (not made to measure), 1930's cut suits that have been made for me by a very skilled tailor.

The test jacket was a standard 44, and the chest was so restrictive, due to the large, low armholes that I could hardly move my arms at all. I certainly couldn't have reached a steering wheel to drive in this thing! I also could have taken a friend with the extra width in the waist. I was not impressed.

After calling to talk things over with Carrie however, we decided that I should get a heavily modified Premier fit version of this jacket. Stylistically, we didn't change much, other than using one of my family's tartans in the heavy-weight version, and adding a single inside pocket, but the fit was not standard at all. I had the sleeves lengthened from the standard 26" to 29.5" (yes, you read that right, almost 30"), and the sides tapered in somewhere between 1 to 2 inches on each side. The bottom was flared out again to full width as I have a fairly muscular derriere from lots of walking and running hundreds of stairs every day.

As it turned out, we could easily have taken it in another inch on each side as I do have the side adjusters taking in that much slack on each side. There're not maxed out, but I definately need to cinch them in to tighten up the waist. This isn't the end of the world however, as that's what the adjusting straps are for anyway, and I can always let them out a bit if I want to layer a thinner sweater underneath.

I also have really skinny wrists, so I requested a smaller diameter cuff opening. It looks to me like Aero forgot about this as the cuff hole is way too big. I can always mive the button an inch and a half, but I'll probably check to see if Carrie can tighten this up once it's too cold to wear this winter.

Now, the big question, the armholes.... In short, they're magnificent! You need to make sure you're not getting anything any wider in the shoulders than the smallest you can squeeze into, as in order for high, small armholes to work at all, the armpit seam needs to fit right into your armpit, as close to your body as you can get it. Having it halfway down your arm just means that the jacket is going to be uncomfortable and as restrictive as a straight jacket. Be forewarned though, that if you get them positioned correctly, you will never be content with any other fit ever again.

Hopefully this answers any questions you might have had about this particular Premier fit jacket, but if you want to know anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

De Stokesay

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. I have an unfortunate tendency towards excess verbosity, which combined with an annoyingly high level of pedantry in my personality makes it extremely difficult for me to write a short, concise post. :p

In all seriousness though, I would love to post some fit pics but since my wife died a few months ago I have no-one else to run the camera end of things. I also only have small looking glasses in my house, no full length mirrors. The biggest one is in the bathroom, but it's quite high and I refuse to stand on the toilet in order to take a picture of myself in the mirror. A man must have some standards after all!

De Stokesay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The biggest one is in the bathroom, but it's quite high and I refuse to stand on the toilet in order to take a picture of myself in the mirror. A man must have some standards after all

Well, when my grandfather emigrated to this country, he thought that was how you actually used the john. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally