Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

Feraud

Bartender
Believe it or not, the hippest young people of the early to mid 1970s were wearing ... vintage 1930s and '40s clothing. It's true.

One example among many, if you know where to look: the Pointer Sisters, garbed in vintage 1940s dresses and hats, pose for the cover of their 1973 debut album. And don't forget David Bowie, who abandoned his 'Ziggy Stardust' persona in favor of the '30s-esque 'Thin White Duke'.
This bit of vintage esoterica reminds me of someone who used to post here.

What was his name...

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Overall, it's kind of sad, hatin' on people who are at any level concerned with style - whether it's because they ain't your kind of people or because they haven't *earned* their style the way you'd approve of. Live and let live, even the nowadays hipsters, these electro-yuppies.

Ease up! It's only a bunch of old clothes, interior decor bits and pieces and recordings!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Overall, it's kind of sad, hatin' on people who are at any level concerned with style - whether it's because they ain't your kind of people or because they haven't *earned* their style the way you'd approve of. Live and let live, even the nowadays hipsters, these electro-yuppies.

Ease up! It's only a bunch of old clothes, interior decor bits and pieces and recordings!

:rolleyes:

840100_LA_trolls_norway.jpg

If you want to see hippest un-hip watch the Partridge Family. Hollywood and TV were always able to take trends in fashion and instantly unwittingly make parody. Watch for Ray Bolger scenes in mod wear. "that's really heavy, I'm into it..."

Overall, it's kind of sad, hatin' on people who are at any level concerned with style - whether it's because they ain't your kind of people or because they haven't *earned* their style the way you'd approve of. Live and let live, even the nowadays hipsters, these electro-yuppies. Ease up! It's only a bunch of old clothes, interior decor bits and pieces and recordings!
While the skinny pants just annoy me, I don't care about what they wear. It's the attitude, plain and simple. Every group has their detractors. Nobody is immune to it. I think it's pretty civil here. Compare it with how the kids look at and talk about "old people". I feel confident this discussion is pretty tame by comparison.

If you want to see hippest un-hip watch the Partridge Family. Hollywood and TV were always able to take trends in fashion and instantly unwittingly make parody. Watch for Ray Bolger scenes in mod wear. "that's really heavy, I'm into it..."
The 70's were so bad, they're good. Clothing was flammable! The Partridges, the Brady's - they were all hilarious. And I sadly had just about all those clothes too lolIt's really one era I look back on fondly, but am glad that fashion-wise, it's over.

It's the attitude, plain and simple. Every group has their detractors. Nobody is immune to it. I think it's pretty civil here. Compare it with how the kids look at and talk about "old people". I feel confident this discussion is pretty tame by comparison.

This is the way things are value wise. The big question may be what does one think, but the main question is how does one act. If we're not lynching hipsters, riding them out of town on a rail or denying them service, well then a little ribbing might not be the abject horror of horrors.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
While the skinny pants just annoy me, I don't care about what they wear. It's the attitude, plain and simple. Every group has their detractors. Nobody is immune to it. I think it's pretty civil here. Compare it with how the kids look at and talk about "old people". I feel confident this discussion is pretty tame by comparison.

In any generation haven't there always been younger folks who speak about "old people". Are there any examples to show that a hipster is worse than previous generations?

In any generation haven't there always been younger folks who speak about "old people". Are there any examples to show that a hipster is worse than previous generations?
Yeah, the ones that call ME old. Those are the ones that matter, cause I apparently AM. Frickin' kids think they invented the internet and coffee shops and flannel and irony.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
Yeah, the ones that call ME old. Those are the ones that matter, cause I apparently AM. Frickin' kids think they invented the internet and coffee shops and flannel and irony.

Fair enough. Take solace in the fact that sooner or later time will take care of them too. :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of my great regrets about that era is that I wasn't allowed to play with matches.

Hi Lizzie

My Dad was a math teacher, retired in 1984 at 65 and passed away last August 19th 2011. He told me that when I was roughly an 8th grader (1973 or 4) he had an interesting incident in his Math class. Remember the old polyester football shirts with cotton rings around the arms and the neck holes? Back then, the guys used to like to give you a hot seat by lighting a lighter and holding it between your knees until the heat hit the naughty bits. Well, someone tried that with a kid leaning back in his chair. Dad said he heard a click, whoosh, Yikes and when he turned around there was a kid with no shirt on, just two cotton wrist bands and a cotton necklace. There was another kid with a VERY surprised look on his face holding a lighter behind the first one. Dad said, "Well, I guess you know you need to go to the Office, and you might as well go with him and find out what you're wearing the rest of the day."

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe