Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Vinyl is ok but not 70s Vinyl!
Yes. Victrolac is not bad at all. Some nice stuff, actually.
One of my favorites: http://98.130.146.204/rca_victor_transcriptions/l_16005_int.mp3

I would rather drink cool coffee and wear girl jeans than listen to that. :p
I would rather drink cold warthog vomit while dressed like Schlitzie:
schlitzie.jpg

In point of fact, I seem to recall having done just that, once, (or something very much like that, my memory is mercifully fuzzy regarding the incident) after being subjected to twenty-five running hours of Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict, followed by a week of the just released The Wall.

The fellow in the next room at school had a most powerful stereo, and I had but an Orthophonic Victrola.

Journalism to me is the kind of journalism I practiced: factual reporting of things that truly matter in the daily lives of ordinary people. I really couldn't care less about beard-stroking "discourse" on the global scene -- are the Andrew Sullivans of the world going to tell me why there were enormous cost overruns on the downtown sewer renovation project? I want to know what my city council is up to, what the school board is up to, who's running for state or local offices, and whether they're doing what they were elected to do.

When I was a reporter, before the World Wide Web existed, our local government was covered by two daily newspapers, a three-a-week paper, a weekly, and two radio stations, all of whom had reporters in the pit where and when things were happening. Citizens knew where their tax dollars were going, and why their taxes were as high as they were, and who was responsible for making the decisions that spent their money. Now, in the age of so-called "new media" there's one weekly paper and one daily covering our area once a week, a shopper that publishes a couple of "local columnists" who spend most their time blathering about national and global issues like they were ten-cent Walter Lippmanns, and no radio stations at all. Things are still happening, and local residents have no idea what they are or why they're happening or who's responsible. Efforts by so-called "citizen journalists" to fill the breach have failed miserably because there's no way for someone to work full time as a reporter, with the committment to gathering and checking facts that such a job requires, without being paid a living wage for it. Local blogs and message boards are little more than vanity exercises for the sort of know-it-all blowhards who you used to find hanging around down at the Esso station and contribute nothing to the Discourse.

Nope, give me pre-internet journalism any day of the week. There's no comparison at all. So bloody what if people know what's happening in Egypt when they don't know what's happening in their own backyard.

Part of the problem our local paper faces (I believe) is that a large part of the surrounding public does not care about anything local unless it is something that is sensationalistic or worthy of commenting on in the online format. They see the paper only as a form of entertainment and ignore informative articles. Informative = mundane = ignore.

I've noticed that for some reason the two sections of the paper that people almost always leave behind are the Sports and Business sections. Because often when I go out for breakfast and somebody left a newspaper behind it's always those sections.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Part of the problem our local paper faces (I believe) is that a large part of the surrounding public does not care about anything local unless it is something that is sensationalistic or worthy of commenting on in the online format. They see the paper only as a form of entertainment and ignore informative articles. Informative = mundane = ignore.

All fits in with my belief that web-based media is the greatest force pushing our society toward the lowest common denominator that has ever existed. It's worse even than television because it's interactive. If you didn't like something on TV you could throw a shoe at the set, but your opinion didn't make things worse than they were. If you don't like something on the web you go on and tell the author of it that he's nothing but a tool of the MSM and that the ultimate answer to all of the world's problems is to legalize pot -- to use an argument that commonly shows up on such sites. Real nice discourse there.

All fits in with my belief that web-based media is the greatest force pushing our society toward the lowest common denominator that has ever existed. It's worse even than television because it's interactive. If you didn't like something on TV you could throw a shoe at the set, but your opinion didn't make things worse than they were. If you don't like something on the web you go on and tell the author of it that he's nothing but a tool of the MSM and that the ultimate answer to all of the world's problems is to legalize pot -- to use an argument that commonly shows up on such sites. Real nice discourse there.

I think the legalized dope is the root of that problem. :p

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Too bad we can't just go back and have it be ditchweed again. It's not a narcotic and it's not a panacea.
Harry_Anslinger.jpg

Pot is illegal because of this guy, Harry Anslinger, who was head of the US Bureau of Narcotics in the 1930s and wanted national publicity for his agency and himself.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
Here's another one of those stupid-looking hipsters, probably at an "Occupy Coney Island" protest. Disheveled hair in need of a cut, and a mindless grin below a silly black caterpillar of a mustache. Rolling around in the sand with his dark old clothes on, pretending to be 'filming' the cops with some broken-down camera he probably swiped from a yard sale.

ce697b0b.jpg

Either that or it was about 70 years before the whole Occupy thing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe