Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why fedora-wearing IS coming back in style

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I second the recommendation for Steinbeck's "Sea of Cortez" - a very entertaining read. And don't forget his charming sort-of-sequel to "Cannery Row" - "Sweet Thursday".

Hmm, I gotta reread some Steinbeck one of these days!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Arguing? Are you kidding? :) I enjoy reading your points, and I always learn from them! You make me examine my opinions, and that's a very good thing. Cheers! :cheers1:
Thank you, sir. The feeling is mutual. I hold you and your opinions in high esteem. ;)

We should all be able to disagree without being disagreeable. :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
We should all be able to disagree without being disagreeable. :)

Yes. Or at least try not to be insufferable.

Imagine how boring it would be if folks always agreed with each other; we'd never be encouraged to question ourselves. It may just be true that "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tony in Tarzana said:
It seems like society took a turn for the worse when men quit wearing hats.

I wouldn't be so quick to equate fedora-wearing with better societies. The age of the Borgias was a hat-wearing one. In Nazi Germany, practically all men, including Hitler, wore fedoras. (Hitler was especially fond of wearing brown fedoras with grey suits.) And in the former Soviet Union, leaders as recent as Gorbachev wore fedoras in public.

qwerty

Familiar Face
I personaly do not want a fedora to become something you have to wear in order to look respectable. I just want enough people to wear fedoras so it wouldn't look weird being seen on the street wearing one.
If ten percent of people would wear a fedora I would call it a succes.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I hope it's sooner than that, Marc! I've noticed more celebrities wearing hats, and i'm seeing more and more fedora clad models in GQ. Designers have talked about using fedoras as props for model shoots, then their models wanting to take them home, so, several are producing their own lines now. A couple that come to mind are Kris van Assche and Stacy Adams. The whole Stacy Adams line has a very retro vintage feel to it, just more colorful. And the shoes are classic.

-Jeremiah

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Upside to hole in ozone

All-

I was in a local hat shop a few weeks ago and the owner reported that many of her clients were ordered by their doctor to go buy a hat. Why? Skin cancer. A fair number of her clients are missing the tops of their ears, and one has a big divot on the top of his head (she never knew the scalp had that much meat to it.) Now that I think about it, my boss just had three pre-cancerous lesions removed from his face.

Paul

"Yes honey, I just bought another hat. You don't want the doctor to saw off my nose, do you?"

I can't see it. I imagine a new type of hat coming into style. Neither a fedora, nor a baseball cap.

The problem with fedoras is that they would look really dumb with the type of branding that would be necessary to sell them to the current clientelle.

Simply by wearing a baseball cap, one associates oneself with a particular tribe. Because of this, the tribe can sell you more cr*p to go along with the cap. The marketing (and brand-consciousness) aspect of modern fashion cannot be denied. Any new fashion in hats would have to incorporate this - our society will not allow it to be any other way ...

bk

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Nah, it's possible... haven't you guys seen this one at Foot Locker?

797copy.jpg

:coffee:

-Jeremiah

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I'd be drawn and quartered for sure...

Looks like I need a disguise... :cool2:

Yep... put on a hat and some glasses and no one will recognize you (unless it is 'that' hat!) What, don't believe me? It worked for Superman, didn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe