Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Something I loved about the Bicentennial: fire hydrants all over California (and other states?) were creatively repainted by local folks to resemble George Washington, Smokey the Bear, bald eagles, hardhat construction workers, the stars and stripes, you name it. Fun, grassroots, creative, joyful. Warmed my 9 year-old heart.

Marc Chevalier said:
Something I loved about the Bicentennial: fire hydrants all over California (and other states?) were creatively repainted by local folks to resemble George Washington, Smokey the Bear, bald eagles, hardhat construction workers, the stars and stripes, you name it. Fun, grassroots, creative, joyful. Warmed my 9 year-old heart.

wasn't done around here. All I remember is the local idiot council went around trying to get everyone to plant trees in the planter strips in front of their houses. Now thrity years later the sidewalks are all screwed up. :eusa_doh: Yeah I love that time. :rage:

Regards,

j

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
The 70's were cool in the 70's.

You hit the nail on the head with that, Matt. I probably had more fun in the 70's than any three other decades combined! It was a great time to be alive, and I tried my best to live it to the fullest. It's only in looking back that I think about how ugly the cloths and styles were.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:

They were painted like that here. I remember a few corvettes and trucks with stars and stripes too.

Actually, you can still see a few of those biecentennial hydrants around here in New York.

bicenthydrant1.jpg

Rafter

Suspended
LizzieMaine said:
Also worth remembering is that the early seventies saw a major fad for the thirties -- there were TV shows, movies, books, and fashions all based on thirties themes, to the point of making an interest in the depression and swing eras practically mainstream.

Two music groups that I loathe from the 70's embraced the thirties.

The Pointer Sister's wore depression era thrift store garb.
Pointer-Sisters.gif

The Manhattan Transfer also had the depression era thing going on.
B000002I8N.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
Rafter said:
Two music groups form the seventies embraced the thirties.

The Pointer Sister's wore depression era thrift store garb. ...

The Manhattan Transfer also had the depression era thing going on....

And you can add Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (but they made swing-style disco so a lot of people will just dimiss them out of hand...)

Dr._Buzzard%27s_Original_Savannah_Band.jpg
DrBuzzardsSheet.jpg

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
THE MANHATTAN TRANSFER were, are, and alway will be AWFUL!!!

agreed x800. i had a choir director in high school that always tortured us by making us sing (AND DANCE TO) the manhatten transfer's songs.

that said... i adore the 70s!

Rafter said:
I hated "Afternoon Delight". I turn off the radio if I even hear it for a second!!

As for the disco swing style, there was the awful Disco Lucy, Brasil, Tangerine...in fact there were an endless number of "disco-fied" swing songs!

Thinking about them makes me wanna barf!

That's why I embraced the Clash, Devo, and all the Punk that came out at the end of the 70's in defiance of Disco!

Devo eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxH39QlRuhg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe