Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Talk about your shook and awe!!!

Came back from In country in ,72. Sure was different then what I left.:eek: Not a big fan of polyester and side chops. I also lived in Canada where it always felt like the 1950's:)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Talk about your shock and awe!!!

Came back from In country in ,72.It Sure was different then when I left.:eek: Not a big fan of polyester and side chops. I also lived in Canada where it always felt like the 1950's:)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
Aw Marc you know the wallpaper was bad. And the brown wood panelling. And the shag rugs.

I have a couple books with quilt-patterns that were published in that era...who knew that an all-brown design in seven shades of brown was so popular? Brown-brown-brown-brown, with rusty orange accents. Decor to slit your wrists by.

-Viola

Better get ready, browns, olives, colored appliances, brocade and fancy wallpaper, louis the fourteenth motifs, and yes, stick on carpet tiles (prety cool and very environmental to me) are all back.

theeeeyre baaaaaaack.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
The fashion, the music, hippies, and the architecture is enough for me to hate the '70s. ESPECIALLY the architecture. The '70s brought us far too much blank concrete soul-sucking boxes and gold-tinted windows and ground floor retail-less towers and destruction of gorgeous historic structures that were of quality urban design.

I will forever, forever, FOREVER hate the '70s and everything about them for two of the atrocities they brought upon my beloved Fort Worth:

The Medical Arts Building sat at the western end of Burnett Park, a smallish but lovely pocket of greenspace on the west side of downtown Fort Worth. It was a beloved landmark.

medicalartspostcard2.jpg

medicalartspostcard3.jpg

It was demolished in the '70s to build this awful thing - Burnett Plaza:

61427812_79dc489d17.jpg

118298571_5a79611d2b.jpg

Fortunately, the park is still there.

Then there's the loss of the Aviation Building, a gorgeous Art Deco tower at 7th & Main. The building's upper floors:

aviation1.jpg

Photo by John Roberts of Fort Worth Architecture

Entrance:

aviation-entry.jpg

Demolished in the '70s to build this lovely thing, Carter + Burgess Plaza:

c-bplaza.jpg

Haversack

One Too Many
My bad architectural associations with the 1970s are the popularization of Brutalism, (think exposed concrete showing the wood grain of the formwork. Thank you Charles-?âdouard Jeanneret), and T-111, (plywood siding with a special surface treatment such as saw texture and with grooves spaced regularly across the face.) The look of institutional buildings and spec suburbs built in the 1970s.

Haversack.

Marc Chevalier said:
Know what I hated the most about the '70s? Itchy wool/polyester blend pants that were really tight in the thigh (and uselessly flared from the knee down). As a kid, I hated going shopping for new pants: it meant that I had to try them on. Ouch!

For me, one of the greatest gifts of the '80s was the resurgence of looser trousers in soft wool gabardine.

I already mentioned the lousy stinky clothing and this was just one case. Then you have those stupid looking leisure suits.
You forgot to mentiont he stupid butterfly collar shirts with patterns that looked like someone threw up on your shirt. :eusa_doh: :eek:

regards,

J

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Atomic Glee said:
aviation-entry.jpg

Was there any architectural salvage done of the details? There's a lot of magnificent sculpture there that could have been saved. Yes, it does make you go out and shoot somebody, doesn't it?
There are a couple of really gorgeous Deco buildings near Grand Central Terminal that I was admiring the other day. I'll try to get some pix and post them.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
These days, lots of pieces are salvaged from these buildings. Doors, knobs, fixtures, some windows, lots of moldings, flooring, tiles, you name it.

Salvage has become a HUGE business. Even the dried out wood from totally weathered, collapsed old barns is salvaged ... and goes toward multimillion dollar ski homes.

Marc Chevalier said:
These days, lots of pieces are salvaged from these buildings. Doors, knobs, fixtures, some windows, lots of moldings, flooring, tiles, you name it.

Salvage has become a HUGE business. Even the dried out wood from totally weathered, collapsed old barns is salvaged ... and goes toward multimillion dollar ski homes.

Yeah but not the lousy carpet and accoutrements of the 1970s. They just dynamite that junk. :p ;)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Yep. There was a lot of it going on here in the '50s and early '60s. A brief example:

In the L.A. city of Glendale, blacks -- any blacks, of any age or social level -- were not allowed to be on the streets after sundown. Cop cars would pick up any that were around, and dump them across the tracks in East Hollywood. If the police saw any black people driving through Glendale at night, they would follow them to the town limits -- or give them a citation for "driving recklessly," "failing to signal" ... you get the idea.

Milpitas, CA, (a San Jose suburb) was a 50's suburb that was built without any restrictions or covenants in regard to race.:)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Midnight Blue

Senator Jack said:
I heard she died in a tragic Sit-N-Spin accident.

Really?:eek: And I thought she could make it; make it......one more time.......... If she tried......... One more,.... time for all..... the..... old times; midnight blue.:D

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Janis Joplin
Mick Jagger
Keith Richards
Jerry Garcia
Jimi Hendrix
John Lennon and Yoko Ono
The Carpenters
The Grateful Dead
The Rollings Stones
Kiss
Def Lepard
Ozzie Osbourne
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Ohh the clothes, ooo the agony!!! I was born in '74. Last girl child, 2 older sisters, 1 older brother, I had 70 hand me downs well into the mid 80's. The joy of being raised poor!
Thank goodness the flair pants of today are no where NEAR the bell bottoms of yesterday, especially with the seams that went across your rear. That is one pair of pants that stayed in my mind. Red bell bottom cords with the seam across the rear.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
shaggy

my dad still has green shag carpet in his bedroom, despite the fact that the rest of the house has been recarpeted TWICE since the 70s. [huh] i still had it in my room when i was a kid, it was perfect for losing legos in and then stepping on them later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82