Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are the rich so cheap?

Phil

A-List Customer
It's a downhill pattern. First they don't spend money on their parties, next they're walking around with tissue boxes on their feet, saving their urine in jars, and having Ice Station Zebra on a constant loop.:p

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are right Jack! I know people who buy expensive apartments/homes, mercedes and BMW's every year, have all the best TV's and appliances in their homes, yet when it comes to things like tipping they will pull out the calculator to make sure they aren't leaving too much!! Even if the service is excellent. Or, I just heard one such person complaining about buying a wedding present for a friends daughter, since everything the girl registered for was 100 dollars and over. But, this person really liked something on the girls registry, and had no problem buying if for herself!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rich people dont like to share the wealth. If they did, they wouldnt be rich would they?

They will spend hoards of cash on themselves and to a lesser extent their immediate fam, but strangers, or the like, keep on truckin.

LD

vonwotan

Practically Family
I guess it's my turn to poke a stick in the hornets' nest. I grew up with many very wealthy people and I have to say that the cheap/stingy one's were the exception to the rule. But for the generosity of these people to organizations like Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York, I would not have lived past my third or my thirteenth birthday, depending on which bout with ALL we discuss.

In the thread about "rules" for dressing we have been dicsussing how generalizations do not work, and by extension, the uniqueness of each individual. Generosity is found in every walk of life, and regardless of income or wealth.

Cheers,
Rafe

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
You're right vonwotan. I think it has to do with the degree of wealth a so-called wealthy person has.
My boss,(who we all affectionately know as Ebenezer) is perhaps worth 1 or 2 million,...maximum, and he is the type that is known to pinch a penny until it brings a tear to Abe Lincoln's eye. He also cracks little "jokes" about the less well to do, he has lessons to learn in life yet I think. But that's his problem.
The wealthiest of the wealthy, such as Carnegie and Rockefeller were really very generous to charitable foundations. The wealthiest people in Cleveland Ohio were the people that made The Cleveland Museum of Art what it is today. It is still free to go and see an amazing collection of art that has grown so large they are currently adding a huge addition to the galleries, all made possible by donations from the city's wealthiest families.

Elaina

One Too Many
It depends on if you're talking about new money and old money, too.

One of my friends is the daughter of a wealthy New York family, considered old money. They, and she, aren't cheap by any means, and I've seen her spend a considerable amount of time giving, giving, giving and her mother hold parties that cost more then I make in a year.

On the same token, I know someone who's wealthy, and considered new money, and her husband has her on a $50 a week allowance from everything from her gas to nails and hair. (Even, I, poor as I am, have more of an allowance then that.)

At least this has been my experience.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
vonwotan said:
I guess it's my turn to poke a stick in the hornets' nest. I grew up with many very wealthy people and I have to say that the cheap/stingy one's were the exception to the rule. But for the generosity of these people to organizations like Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York, I would not have lived past my third or my thirteenth birthday, depending on which bout with ALL we discuss.

In the thread about "rules" for dressing we have been dicsussing how generalizations do not work, and by extension, the uniqueness of each individual. Generosity is found in every walk of life, and regardless of income or wealth.

Cheers,
Rafe
Here, here, I agree completely and have nothing to add to this. :eusa_clap

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are absolutely correct!!! But, more can be done in the way of charitable giving, always.....
As some have stated, there is a big difference between old money and new money and the attitude that comes along with it.

Rooster

Practically Family
Alot of my clients are quite well off financially, and I've found them to be the most generous and kind people.
I've also found po' folk to be kind and generous too. Then on the other hand, I've found some rich and some po' folk that are real awfull people. People are people, they are who they are , and the amount of money they may or may not have has little bearing on their personality.
I personally don't judge anyone on the amount of money they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley