Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHOS ROCKABILLY?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Actually, it seems like a lot of the European folks just "get it" more than the Americans do. They know the history better and tend to get into the style much more than a lot of Americans... at least this is what I've heard from both vintage dealers and musician friends of mine.
This is uniformly true for vintage styles of music. I blame big media here, but then again, I would.

OTOH, we are generally less Serious about it and have more fun. It's pretty tiresome reading some Belgian or Danish guy (it's always a guy) writing about Delta blues shouters in the same dry analytical style you'd use to discuss 17th century brewers' guild practices or truffle propagation in the Dordogne.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Edward said:
Was this very much the case back in the day, or is it more of a modern classification? I know that a lot of the bands back then carried on with upright basses for years, but did the electric bass guitar not catch on much at all in the rockabilly scene? Leo Fender created that in 1951, predating rock and roll.... though it was intended in origin to be for country musicians....

Not exactly rockabilly, but Buddy Holly had an electric bass player. That's all I can think off of the top of my head. Can anyone think of any otherr exceptions to the rule?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Fletch said:
This is uniformly true for vintage styles of music. I blame big media here, but then again, I would.

OTOH, we are generally less Serious about it and have more fun.

Also, I think the Europeans enjoy disc jockeys much more than the Americans. They seem to get together and dance much more to records than the Americans do. I think we prefer live bands more. At least for me, records (which I have plenty of at home) can't touch the experience and excitement of a good live band.

Edward

Bartender
BeBopBaby said:
Not exactly rockabilly, but Buddy Holly had an electric bass player. That's all I can think off of the top of my head. Can anyone think of any otherr exceptions to the rule?

Yeah, I can't remember his name...... he wrote "I fought the Law", though. :)

:eek:fftopic: The Crickets were way, way more influential than they get credit for nowadays - AFAIK they were the first act to really make it big with that two guitars, bass and drums lineup - a format which the Beatles copied (BIG Buddy Holly fans, right down to the insectoid name...), and look what happened from there.... They must also have been one of the first bands to have a guitar as the "lead" instrument, that period where it took over from the tenor sax...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
Also, I think the Europeans enjoy disc jockeys much more than the Americans. They seem to get together and dance much more to records than the Americans do. I think we prefer live bands more.
I think we're just less likely to get together and dance for the fun of it. We prefer to approach it as a kind of sport.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Was this very much the case back in the day, or is it more of a modern classification? I know that a lot of the bands back then carried on with upright basses for years, but did the electric bass guitar not catch on much at all in the rockabilly scene? Leo Fender created that in 1951, predating rock and roll.... though it was intended in origin to be for country musicians....

I think this was the case all around for rockabilly. Musicians like Buddy Holly used electric bass, but he wasn't playing rockabilly music either. When you play without a drummer, an upright bass acts as your rhythm section because of the percussive uses the instrument has (slapping, mostly). Also, upright bass has a more raw sound to it (and in many ways, raw and primitive are what rockabilly is about) and electric bass often sounds muddy.

I don't really agree that rockabilly bands didn't have drummers. Some didn't, but there were plenty who were... Gene Vincent, Johnny Burnette, Janis Martin and many others used drums.

mikepara

Practically Family
BeBopBaby said:
Don't forget to add Carl Perkins to the list! Songs like Honey Don't and Matchbox are classics. Another favorite is Ronnie Self. His song Bop-a-lena is one of my all-time favorites. He had a real raw rockin' sound.
Hell yes, Carl Perkins was the 1st headliner I ever saw, he was on with Matchbox and Bo Diddley 1977 If I recall. Man was that a show!

What about:
The Blue Caps
Crazy Cavan and the Rythm Rockers
Big John Bates

Dare I mention :
The Cramps
King Kurt

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brian Setzer Orchestra

The first Brian Setzer Orchestra album (self titled) actually pre-dates the whole swing revival. It was released in 1994 and went virtually unnoticed. It's a fantastic album that is not really "rockin" at all. Very much a big band sound.
It was their third album "The Dirty Boogie" that featured "Jump Jive and Wail" at the height of the late 90's swing scene.
I'm digging the sound of the upcoming release "Wolfgang's Big Night Out".
Check it out:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=218761812

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Still have all my records.

I was born vintage. Loved the oldies including Rockabilly as a child. Evolved into Mod. Made a suit for Memphis Rockabilly Band's Bill Coover and cut Pinky's hair in a club basement, replete with mice in the popcorn bags. (Last time I heard from Pinky he was in Roomful of Blues.) Saw Rockats at the Ritz (got in free) when they recorded their record-breaking record in the van. Saw Robert Gordon also at the Ritz, also free for me. The Cramps' Lux propositioned me and I told him off. I was dressed 20s that night. Got bruised from all the unruly shoving. Still like them and have seen them and hung out many times since then. My sister painted a flower onto my face when I went to see The Stray Cats. They were my guests after the show at Scorgie's, it was 25 years ago last month . I was 8 months pregnant at the time and Slim Jim Phantom informed me his all-time favorite song was the Beatles' I'm Looking Through You. Saw Rockats at Scorgie's. They had me sing Round and Round and had to feed me the lyrics. Saw: Link Wray. Carl Perkins. Matchbox. Rockhouse. Jerry Lee Lewis actually did something he'd never done before whilst in Rochester. ;) Who else did I see? Everyone back then, I guess. Big Sandy. Sleepy LaBeef. Can't remember eveyone's names. An older person said who is playing? once and I replied a Rockabilly band. Rocket-Billy? lol You know, said I, like Carl Perkins. I made over a girl friend Myra Lewis-style, so cute. Made all my and my friends' 'clothes then, guys and gals. Re-met Brian Setzer exactly 10 years ago and saw his Orchestra. Turned out friends knew some guys in the group and we all went out after to The Bug Jar. I don't care for wife-beaters and tattoos and Mamie Eisenhower bangs I mean Bettie Page so I find myself shunned by this latest crop of Rockabilly-clothes wearers, but eh. I like the music yet and would like to go to Wisconsin someday, maybe next year. Oh, and if anyone wants to know how to do the original greaser dance I can show you. An older friend demonstrated it for me a long time ago.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Ricky Nelson....He truly was a Rockabilly, despite the widespread misconception that he was a "Teen Idol" type.

His band, featuring the legendary James Burton on lead guitar, COOKED, and James really blistered the neck of his telecaster on so many Ricky Nelson tracks. On top of the great band, he had fantastic writers contributing songs for him to record, including Johnny & Dorsey Burnette, Baker Knight, Gene Pitney.......I think Ricky has not received the respect he derves as a true Rockabilly, and that's a shame because he recorded some of the genere's best work, IMO.

A few years ago, Capitol Records released digitally remastered CD's featuring all of Ricky's original Imperial LP's.....These all sound GREAT, and really tell the true story of what a talent Ricky and his band were. You'd be doing yourself a favor by picking these up before they are no longer in print.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
One of my all time favorite bands. Although thats not in my opinion one of their -best- songs....but still good.

Guess that means I am a necro-square...

One of my favorite bands too! Definitely not one of their best songs though.

I guess I dress rockabilly most of the time. I wear dark denim jeans a lot, but don't often cuff them. I wear a lot of cute blouses and western shirts. I don't think I dress kitschy or stereotypically rockabilly, but that's what most people label me as. I try to wear a vintage dress at least once a week, but it's hard when you're in college have to drag your butt all over campus all day in heels.

My boyfriend dresses like a little dressier than a "greaser", but that's what most accurately describes him. 95% of his wardrobe is comprised of old Pendeltons! I like the way rockabilly guys dress, as long as they put in a little more effort than the plain cuffed jeans and a white tee. I dig the 50's casual look for men a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe