Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHOS ROCKABILLY?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ssubialdea said:
The rockabilly style evolved out of post-war country-boogie, hillbilly, and rhythm & blues. Between 1945 and 1954 these disparate musical styles crossed paths and developed the hybrid known as rockabilly. *snip*

Where did you quote this text from?

RIOT

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Unfortunately, for a lot of people who associate with rockabilly, it IS a fashion show. So many of them don't know about the history, which is one of social rebellion and the history and roots of American rock and roll. A lot of the rockabilly kids out there today couldn't name a song by Gene Vincent and would give you a blank stare at the mention of Johnny Burnette. They'd say "What? You mean Brian Setzer didn't write 'Race with the Devil'?"

Thanks. Yeah, the new kids who are only in it for the fashion have no clue about the music. But they are easily trumped when a group hangs out.

I love that song, "Race with the Devil", note my sig below. I believe that Gene Vincent is worthy of Sainthood!

KittyT said:
I don't really think these apply that much anymore. Nowadays, a "greaser" is someone who greases his hair, not his car :)

You actually can still see the differences here in NYC. Different way of dressing. Slacks vs. Jeans. I personally am more of a greaser, though I love the music, cars and bikes would always come first. I always wear jeans at shows as I know if someones engine block gives way I would be one of the first underneath the car with a torque wrench. Usually the Rockabillies are inside listening to the bands and jivin while the Greasers are outside sitting on their cars drinking beer and talking shop.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
PA Dancer said:
Understood. I felt bad that no one was responding.

Nick Charles, what kind of info are you looking for? I will do my best to help you out.
Is it a style guide to go to the Setzer show? or Are you trying to get a better understanding of the Rockabilly life style?
-Ann

Hey, don't let anyone give you a bad time for describing a certain group. Being part of a scene means adopting a certain style of dressing. If someone describes said style, then it is not steriotyping, it is describing.

Now if you say "all Latinos are," or something like that, that is different.
But if you dscribe a group that is identified by their musical and sartorial choices, where is the offense.

I saw nothing offensive about your posts. If the style s a little different in other areas, then let others feel free to chime in. BUt I found your description pretty accurate to describe the scenes I have seen.

You might ad that some members of some scenes, especially in LA SF and Europe, do go in for more vintage, slacks, shoes, gab jackets etc. But heck, in England they don't even call that rockabilly. It is "rocking" or used to be.

Actually, what I saw over the last twelve years or so is that the rockabilly scene went from being either authentic looks, or the kind orf stray cats new wavish looks, transform for many into a kind of gear head, punk rock psychobilly and even goth influence. Nothing wrong with that, but there is not as much emphasis for many on any kind of authentic look, it is a kind of new original style with vintage influences.

At any rate, I don't really see why anyone would have taken offense at your post.

RIOT

Practically Family
Speaking of Brian Setzer.. nice of him to support my former club The Rumblers :)

b53c.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Rockabilly is about the 50s rebel/greaser culture... that culture that revolted against the "squares" or the "starches", those who *gasp* wore hats and gloves and pocket squares. For style, think James Dean or Marlon Brando.

Yes, cuffed jeans tend to be the norm, but really all you have to do is think 50s. My baby greases his hair and wears a DA. Yes, he'll also wear cuffed jeans, but he also sports sharkskin pleated pants, and pleated 50s slacks with vintage 50s rock n roll style shirts - the really nice ones often have racing stripes down the front or embroidery, a tab and 2 buttons at each side of the waist for adjustment, and always short-sleeves...rolled up. And he loves his white bucks.

For women, the style tends to center around 1950s though a lot of it has gotten modernized and kitsch-i-fied (polka dots, gingham, leopard, bandanas). There are a lot of rockabilly gals who focus on vintage though, and there is a lot of flexibility for the gals, ranging from 1950s, into the 40s and even the early 60s.

Instead, try the originals... Gene Vincent, Johnny Burnette (who was the first to really adopt the term "rockabilly"), Johnny Carroll, Benny Joy, Elvis, Janis Martin, Wanda Jackson.... however, the music really ranges through blues, rhythm and blues, doo wop, and many other genres. It's always about white guys appropriating elements of black music though!

That is cool that your guy goes for actual vintage. I don't know Boston, but here on the west coast, that is rare. I hve never seen a rockabilly in white bucks, although I have sold my share to European guys. Is there much of a crowd in Boston who fetishises the authentic look like we do here for the thirties and forties?

In LA alot of the Latinos go in for strictly authentic vintge looks, but for most others it is the more modern version of rockabilly.

I wonder if the new wave style of th stray cats etc will ever come back.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
Hey, don't let anyone give you a bad time for describing a certain group. Being part of a scene means adopting a certain style of dressing. If someone describes said style, then it is not steriotyping, it is describing.

Now if you say "all Latinos are," or something like that, that is different.
But if you dscribe a group that is identified by their musical and sartorial choices, where is the offense.

I saw nothing offensive about your posts. If the style s a little different in other areas, then let others feel free to chime in. BUt I found your description pretty accurate to describe the scenes I have seen.

You might ad that some members of some scenes, especially in LA SF and Europe, do go in for more vintage, slacks, shoes, gab jackets etc. But heck, in England they don't even call that rockabilly. It is "rocking" or used to be.

Actually, what I saw over the last twelve years or so is that the rockabilly scene went from being either authentic looks, or the kind orf stray cats new wavish looks, transform for many into a kind of gear head, punk rock psychobilly and even goth influence. Nothing wrong with that, but there is not as much emphasis for many on any kind of authentic look, it is a kind of new original style with vintage influences.

At any rate, I don't really see why anyone would have taken offense at your post.

Awww thank you.
I hang out with the rockabilly crowd here in PA and the term Rockabilly is a lifestyle here. You live Rockabilly. We even have an annual event here called RockabillyRun. Good times!

I enjoy the music aside from the psychobilly style...I'm not really into mosh pits.
But I don't consider myself completely fitting into the Rockabilly crowd. I love my friends and bust on the boys saying I need to lotion my hands and rub my fingers thru thier hair and a few other inside jokes...but their lifestyles are just not mine...a little too rough and a little too rowdy. But it's ok because we all accept each other.

I'm sure the people here can find the humor in some of my posts. If they were offended, I do apologise. No harm intened.
-Ann

RIOT

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
I'm sure the people here can find the humor in some of my posts. If they were offended, I do apologise. No harm intened.
-Ann

No harm intended at all. You are still a doll!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:

Because her post seemed to describe the shallowest, most stereotypical, cookie-cutter elements of the rockabilly scene. I understand that perhaps that is what she's (and you) have experienced in your respective scenes, but it's not really representative of the rockabilly scene as a whole.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Because her post seemed to describe the shallowest, most stereotypical, cookie-cutter elements of the rockabilly scene. I understand that perhaps that is what she's (and you) have experienced in your respective scenes, but it's not really representative of the rockabilly scene as a whole.

uuhhgg...It was meant to be humor. That's all

But in the mean time, we did get Nick some answers to a post that now one was posting on.
: )

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
That is cool that your guy goes for actual vintage. I don't know Boston, but here on the west coast, that is rare. I hve never seen a rockabilly in white bucks, although I have sold my share to European guys. Is there much of a crowd in Boston who fetishises the authentic look like we do here for the thirties and forties?

There's not a big crowd, at least not anymore. The heyday of the Boston rockabilly scene was in the late 90s when bands like the Bourbonaires, the Raging Teens and the Racketeers were regularly packing local venues, even for Sunday afternoon matinee shows.

There are a fair number of guys here who do the vintage thing, though I wouldn't say that many of them are as into the authentic look as FL folks are about their 30s and 40s stuff. I'll admit that many of them who do are in local authentic-style rockabilly bands like the ones mentioned above. Still, I see a certain number at shows in vintage slacks or shirts, though jeans do tend to be favored.

I guess my guy's kindof the odd man out in a lot of ways. He's very into the original style, and very knowledgeable about it. Then again, he's a band front-man, and has had access to the scenes in NY and abroad when his band was touring back in the day, and he knows quite a few people in scenes from all over the world, including the European scene (who, as you mentioned before, really tend to dig and "get" rockabilly more than us Americans do). The guy borrows my skinny white belt because he can't find one of his own that he likes!

RIOT

Practically Family
KittyT, speaking of the Raging Teens, Bourbonaires & Racketeers, where you at the reunion show last Sat? I wish I had made it to that this past weekend, but I was with good company nonetheless.

Which band is your guy in? If you don't mind me asking.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RIOT said:
KittyT, speaking of the Raging Teens, Bourbonaires & Racketeers, where you at the reunion show last Sat? I wish I had made it to that this past weekend, but I was with good company nonetheless.

Which band is your guy in? If you don't mind me asking.

Of course I was there! My daddy fronts the [recently-reunited] Bourbonaires, and a new RnB/soul band called The Swinedells.

RIOT

Practically Family
Nice! Tell the fellas howdy from me. Haven't seen those guys since the Rodeo haydays. All On Fire is still a rockin' favorite of mine.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
Of course I was there! My daddy fronts the [recently-reunited] Bourbonaires, and a new RnB/soul band called The Swinedells.

I was there too - only Joanne made it out from NY. Well, and me and my BF but we don't count since he was in the show.

The real Henry

Practically Family
I would say I'm a rockabilly, but for me rock'n'roll comes right after swing. I also have quiff that looks much like the one of this gentlemen:

18031264.jpg

Still, I'd rather see my as a Hepcat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe