Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Makes A Good Quality Denim Jacket?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I own generic Wrangler and Levi - they seem okay, but I'm sure I can get better.

Without spending a fortune or buying vintage, what are my options?

Does Carhart do them? Any good?

I want a hard wearing denim that'll be around for 10-15 years.

Cheers

Papa M

A-List Customer
I personally prefer Lee jackets to Wrangler and Levi's. There are good repros of my favourite (Lee 91B) - but probably a little pricey.

Why not buy vintage? There are some great bargains to be found.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Yeah, I'd second that!

On ebay, the price of used vintage denim jackets has fallen dramatically over the past few years – you should be able to pick up a nice 'big E' / 'cap E' Levi's jacket for $50 or so, and the same for an old Lee 101 / Riders jacket... just check the actual measurements and that there's not too much wear around the collar/sleeve ends and you'll be fine... the vintage denim (as discussed elsewhere) is much harder-wearing than 99.9% of modern stuff (it's woven tighter and isn't 'blown together' with lots of cotton thread fluff, as is the modern norm) so you'll find that even a 30-year-old denim jacket with moderate wear would last you decades – if the collar ever wears out on one side, just get a seamstress/tailor to flip it over and re-sew ($20-ish)... I've seen some pics of vintage denim jackets where the cuff ends have been reinforced with strips of leather, which looks waaay kool...

I love the Lee 91b, what a great design!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have a Lee from the 70's, a Pendleton from the 80's and a Henry Cottons from the 90's; all good quality.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Mr Badger said:
I love the Lee 91b, what a great design!

I have several variations on the superb Lee 91 B design. My favourite is the Can't Bust 'Em version. It cost me a fortune to find one in good condition.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
If Carhartt made underwear, I'd buy some. I don't have a Carhartt denim jacket, but the Carhartt garments I do own are excellent quality.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks All

Do Lee still make a 91B? And what are Lee's like these days?

As I said, not wanting to by vintage. Just my preference.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Seb Lucas said:
Do Lee still make a 91B? And what are Lee's like these days?

As I said, not wanting to by vintage. Just my preference.

Lee of Japan are doing a very good quality reproduction of the 91B. It sells for about 100 bucks.

Edward

Bartender
I have a Levis Type 1 I bought a few years ago (with the contrast stitching, very pointy pocket flaps, big 'rear pocket'-style stitched yolk-look design on the rear, over the shoulder blades). Thinking of selling it on - if they go for anything nowadays, that is (repro, not vintage). They are labelled at ninety odd quid new in the Levis store, last I looked, though Levis stores are laways considerably more expensive than the real world (sometimes, I wondr do Levis just see them as a glorified billboard - does anyone pay those prices?). If I as looking for a denim jacket again, based on the quality of their jeans, I'd be giving serious consideration to a jacket from Prison Blues www.prisonblues.com.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I like Nudie. I think they are as straightworward as can be
with a nostalgic feel but somewhat a new touch.

I like their denim jackets. Im gonna get a black one for summer.

conny_18mo_4wa_front.jpg

conny_18mo_4wa_back.jpg

They have it in dry, dry red selvage, black coated and heavy worn.

Price for worn is high though, but the black coated is ok I think.

Papa M

A-List Customer
GriffDeLaGriff said:
I like Nudie. I think they are as straightworward as can be
with a nostalgic feel but somewhat a new touch.

Nice enough looking jacket - very derivative of Lee. However I dislike the Nudie brand stitching across the shoulders. I know that it is their trademark but to me it cheapens their products and makes them look like a High Street brand.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Papa M said:
Nice enough looking jacket - very derivative of Lee. However I dislike the Nudie brand stitching across the shoulders. I know that it is their trademark but to me it cheapens their products and makes them look like a High Street brand.

In the black jacket the stitching is in black so thats not gonna point out as much.

I guess its like or not. [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
bburtner@moran said:
.Made in the USA,no Asian crap...
The Japanese now make the best denim, with our old discarded shuttle looms. Levi Strauss must be rolling over in his grave.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Papa M said:

I kind of agree - but I think it's working too hard to acheive a look. Denim for me needs to be a little more workwearish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petitmalpa