Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Digital Camera To Buy?

Chas

One Too Many
I thought that this would be the best subforum to put this in. I am in the market for a new camera- would like to take video with it as well; so now I need recommendations.

VietVet68

New in Town
For about a month I investigated digital cameras and discovered that I didn't know beans about them. I wanted a camera to post pics on the net and store on my computer but I didn't want an el cheapo $10 whiz job, ya' know?

I ended up buying Nikon Coolpix P100 and it's got a great list of features including taking movies, like you mentioned. I've used that feature and it works great and the camera takes awesome pics. Look:

Kimber%20Ultra%20CDP021.jpg

Here's the link:http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26212/COOLPIX-P100.html

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Canon S95 compact, or Nikon D3100 SLR

Both released last week, but check the net for stock.

Worth investing in.

$400 for the first, $600~ for the second.

Both have high def videos, and Nikons has the first autofocus video...

Papa M

A-List Customer
l1000660.jpg

Taken with my Leica V-Lux 20. Pixel size vastly reduced for display on a forum.

It is notoriously difficult taking action pictures with a compact due to the slowness of the camera. Whilst not matching the quality of my Canon Digital SLR I have to say that I am very pleased with the results of the Leica. And it is a lot more fun and less cumbersome.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
Twelve months ago I picked up a Panasonic TZ7 for my month long holiday in Malaysia and Hong Kong. I trawling lots of websites and reading dozens of reviews and comparisons. I wanted a camera primarily with excellent video capabilities, and great photographic capabilities, and this camera had them both - high quality video, wide angle, big zoom, macro, fairly fast shutter.

The TZ10 has now superseded the TZ7 - more megapixels, even better image stabilizing, and GPS! - feature I could really have done with whilst amongst the limestone mountains of Ipoh.

I'm not sure how much the TZ10 sells for where you are, but in Japan it can be had for under 20,000 Yen - about US$235 at the current exchange rate.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I have a Canon S90 and it's a ton of bang for buck, and the S95 is essentially the same camera plus HD video. Probably the best P&S camera out there at the moment.

Papa M

A-List Customer
DragonJade said:
The TZ10 has now superseded the TZ7 - more megapixels, even better image stabilizing, and GPS! - feature I could really have done with whilst amongst the limestone mountains of Ipoh.

The TZ10 is essentially the same camera as my Leica V-Lux 20. It doesn't come with such a nice badge on the front - but is almost half the price of the Leica.

Of course most members of an esteemed forum like Fedora Lounge will probably appreciate the iintrinsic value of having a nice badge.:whip:

Papa M

A-List Customer
lolly_loisides said:
I have a Panasonic Lumix FX7.

I just googled your camera. That is a really nice looking dinky little piece of equipment. I can guess that with its Leica lens it produces good images - but at a very reasonable price.

Papa M

A-List Customer
lolly_loisides said:
Not everyone wants an SLR.

I've spent a long time travelling with an SLR and two chunky zoom lenses, plus numerous batteries and flashes etc..

I've now realised that I can get decent pictures from a high quality Digi that fits in a neat pouch on my belt. The only accessories I need are a spare battery and spare SDHC card - which amounts to the size of a book of matches.

Quite a revelation to me.

Clark

New in Town
Well this is my first post: If you want a sexy digicam, Leica make theirs including a very pretty leather case, just like the old rangefinders. Good looking, and you can play with manual modes too - none of that 21st century face-recognition hocus pocus!

dlux4.jpg

I think there's slightly cheaper ones than the d-lux too, but you're still paying a big premium for the name and styling: Value-wise, I wouldn't advise Leica. If you just want a camera to do a good job of taking pictures, there's plenty that do it just as well. But then again, look at it :D

Papa M

A-List Customer
SteveAS said:

The Canon S90 that Steve and Lexy own looks to be a great camera - and the up-graded S95 looks to nearly match my Leica in specification.

At £200 less than the Leica I'd say that the S95 might be a serious contender for Chas (the originator of this thread) to consider.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Go online and do a search for digital camera ratings. Look at the features they consider in their reviews/ratings and then make a list of the features that are important to you. Put it into a spreadsheet and go to your local store, compare them, and mark away/take notes.

I do not think it's a good idea to buy a camera online. With a digital camera, a big selling point for me in the menu structure and ease of navigation. I think it's a really, really good idea to get the camera in your hands, see what it feels like, and play with the menus first.

Comparing the features you want and taking into account how the camera feels in your hands will really help you come to your final decision. I did this last Christmas when purchasing a digital camera for my boyfriend and it helped me pick out a camera that was ideal for him.

Papa M

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
With a digital camera, a big selling point for me in the menu structure and ease of navigation. I think it's a really, really good idea to get the camera in your hands, see what it feels like, and play with the menus first.

That's exactly what persuaded me to pull the trigger on the Leica.

I'd already read the reviews and knew that the features were what I wanted. I went to a small, old-school independant Leica dealer who had only one left in stock. He let me play with it for 30 minutes. I told him what deal I could get on-line for camera, case, flashcard and spare battery. He matched the deal and off I went with my new camera.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Papa M said:
That's exactly what persuaded me to pull the trigger on the Leica.

And Leicas are amazing cameras! My dad has an old 35mm that I learned to shoot on, and I've always loved that camera. Amazing feel, gorgeous pictures, and unsurpassed quality.

shortbow

Practically Family
I'd love to have that Leica, but am in no way in that purchasing power bracket. I just today received my first digital camera, a NOS Samsun NV10. Has a decent film camera vibe and good reviews. Might fit your requirements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth