Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

Earp

One of the Regulars
Parallel Guy, that is just a great idea. I've always wanted to do that for listening to old radio shows. How do you find what years match? It's the perfect idea for lovers of history to keep learning things. Do you also have a place where you go to find out the news for a particular day, or magazines? Neat!

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Earp said:
Parallel Guy, that is just a great idea. I've always wanted to do that for listening to old radio shows. How do you find what years match? It's the perfect idea for lovers of history to keep learning things. Do you also have a place where you go to find out the news for a particular day, or magazines? Neat!

I know there are other sites but I use otrcat.com for radio shows. They list the shows by title and broadcast date. It's cheap, $5 MP3 which sometimes has 50 shows or so.

As for magazines, I lean toward ebay, but a cheap way is to find a inexpensive subscription to Time and that allows you access to their archives.

Hope that helps.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Sorry Dan, I am still kinda new here and I am still trying to figure out all the capabilities of my membership and all the rules that go with it. I am still trying to figure out how to attach a pic to my post or if I even can yet since I only have ten post, I guess it is eleven now.

Treetopflyer said:
Sorry Dan, I am still kinda new here and I am still trying to figure out all the capabilities of my membership and all the rules that go with it. I am still trying to figure out how to attach a pic to my post or if I even can yet since I only have ten post, I guess it is eleven now.

Things open up at 15. Four more to go!

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Treetopflyer said:

No worries, only four more!!

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
TraderRic is my dirivitive of Trader Vic's and my first name-Eric. I've had some great times at Trader Vic's (not in L.A. but in Bahrain (Middle East)). It gives me visions of sitting in a Middle Eastern cafe in the 1930's wearing a khaki suit and pith helmet, watching for ememy spies and telling the local authorities that I have no idea what they're talking about.

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
Midnight blue was a very stylish tuxedo colour from back in the day, known for being "blacker than black" under artificial light. I'm a black tie fanatic and for me midnight blue is one of the things that epitomizes the elan of classic dinner jackets. (Boiled shirts, detachable collars and sized bow ties are the other holy grails of the golden era of semiformal wear but they don't exactly make for sexy monikers.)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
From my classic. It's a 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom. That's it's model, it's not customized. It's a half-step above the base model (bottom-of-the-line)Newport. Which, other than the green interior, it's nothing exceptional.

She goes by a few names: Chrissy the Chrysler, Big Green Car, Grannies Great Green Grocery-getter.

Lee

Rafter

Suspended
MrNewportCustom said:
From my classic. It's a 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom. She goes by a few names: Chrissy the Chrysler, Big Green Car, Grannies Great Green Grocery-getter.
My father had a 1967 Delta 88. Wish I still had it. Many people compared it to a boat!! But that's the car of my childhood and I associate it with many fond memories!!
Detroit just doesn't build them like that anymore.
Sad to hear today that Toyota has just replaced GM as the world's #1 auto maker.

As for my user name, it comes from my favorite sport, "Whitewater Rafting" .
Can't wait for the summer when I go "up" to Maine's North Country and "down" the Kennebec and Penobscot Rivers.

Bubbles

New in Town
What does everyone's profile name mean?

I am interested to know what everyones' names mean and why they chose them. Bubbles was my grandmother's nickname when she was in college, given to her because of what my grandfather calls her "effervescent personality". (She still has it!) She was 22 in 1945, and she is my style icon! She had (and has) impeccable taste, and the pictures of her from the 40s are so beautiful. Even before I started dressing vintage, my whole family always said that I look just like she did at my age. Of course, at my age, she had 3 children already:eek: ,a fact which she has been not-so-subtly reminding me of lately!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to change mine

My user name came from the fact that when I first signed up I was afraid it would be a long time till I signed in again (ha!, double ha!) and that I'd forget. So I just used my email address. UGLY! Can someone tell me how I can change it to something cooler and less ungainly? Not that I have a better one at he tip of my tongue, but I just don't want to start all over again with a new identity.

RIOT

Practically Family
I enjoy Riots! Getting in to a rut.

Seriously, it's from my old NYC Oi! band, picked the last word, too lazy to type the first five letters.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Well, I have the same name on several boards, the Clara in honor of my inspiration and favorite actress, Miss Clara Bow and the Short, because well, I am diminutive - very! I wouldn't change it though lol

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, besides the fact the Undertow is the name of an album and song I admire, I also picked it for the meaning lying therin as well as other personal feelings toward the word.

As an English major, I spend far too much time analyzing words and attributing further meanings in my own strange mind.

That and I don't have a nickname. Not one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe