Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Fedoras ruled

suitedcboy

One Too Many
A couple of photos from Styleforum thread on Averell Harriman, the publisher of LIFE.

I have no idea of the source of the photos since it wasn't mentioned in the thread.
The Mallory photo (2nd one) has an interesting statement about Mallory and being union made.
3872714733_e98f460e11.jpg

3873498702_055954f2d5.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Especially if you were white and male...

The hat on the right in that first picture, with the big crown
and the crisp dent. Aaaaahh. Go try to find a hat made of
something like that today. Good luck.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Fletch said:
and Protestant, and a veteran, and financially secure, and not politically outspoken, and had nothing at all unusual in your private life.

Right...and speaking of hats, it might have been "the day" for men, but look at the woman's hat in the Mallory photo. I remember my mom wearing stuff like that when I was tiny, and I always thought they looked plumb awful. :eek:

- Bill

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Interesting photo. Lots of Homburgs; relatively few fedoras. Feraud, do you know the date and location of this photo?

Doublegun

Practically Family
Interesting - a majority of the hats appear to be lighter in color (silverbelly, tan, gray) vs darker (black, charcoal) and not necessarily "coordinated" with the color of top coat.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
of note

Its cold, people are bundled up- where are the guys without clothes with the team's logo painted on their torsos. :p

anyway, when was this shot taken, i see a lot of stiff brims, homburg like...

Feraud

Bartender
Wolfmanjack said:
Interesting photo. Lots of Homburgs; relatively few fedoras. Feraud, do you know the date and location of this photo?
Sorry. It's a Shorpy photo and I did not note the info.

Edit - The photo is likely flipped hence the bows being on the opposite side..

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
am i crazy?

it's ok, but just looking at this again, am I crazy or are the bows of these hats generally on the right hand side of the hats. I think most modern mens hats have the bow on the left.

can anyone comment on this?
If I am correct - why did this change?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Now, a different crowd would have probably said something about the field not looking right, huh? lol

I love this shot. I also notice that the hats seem to clash on the dark/light scale mainly with the guys in overcoats, but the guys without seem to have lighter jackets on with their lighter hats. I would be interested to see a color version of this, but alas...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust