Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"When baby moves in... dog moves OUT"

Miss Brill

One Too Many
It seems like every fool on Craigslist gets rid of their pets when they get a baby. I don't have any kids, but I couldn't imagine parting with my pets for any reason. When I was growing up, when we moved we only moved into places that allowed our pets, I do not come from duty shuckers. A lifetime commitment is a lifetime commitment.

ETA: When I was born, we had a spider monkey & a mean tomcat, both adored the baby me. The cat was a fighter, but offered no resistance to me cuddling with him & he would even allow me to push him around in a doll carriage. Don't underestimate your pets!

J

JohnTheGreek

Getting rid of a dog because one is moving?!?!? Amazing! We travel from Cairo to the US and Canada a few times a year and yes, the dog comes too. It breaks my heart to even kennel Alex for a couple days much less abandon him for some trivial reason. My dog even has a web presence and email address for Pete's sake.

482986_1171980199.jpg

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/482986/in/stroll/

Best,

John

pretty faythe

One Too Many
The dog we had when I was preg with my oldest, was pek/pom mix. Looked like Shitzu.
Lets see, that was when I was a very young 18/19, so she would have been about 11 herself if I remember correctly.
She was an inside puppy and stayed an inside puppy , and tried to be a mommy to her herself. All of our animals have stayed inside and been no troubles.
I think it's basically has to go back to how you've raised your pets on how they will react to new members.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bebop said:
There is no reason to get rid of your dog when you bring a baby into the family. You also don't have to lock them up anywhere when baby comes out. You just have to show them that the baby is as much an alpha pack member as you are. Just don't let them anywhere within about a 4 foot distance of the baby for a few weeks until they get the picture that the baby is off limits just like anything else you won't let your dog get close to. It takes a little time but much better than getting rid of a beloved dog just because you are adding a family member.

Exactly.

LD

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Miss Brill said:
It seems like every fool on Craigslist gets rid of their pets when they get a baby. I don't have any kids, but I couldn't imagine parting with my pets for any reason. When I was growing up, when we moved we only moved into places that allowed our pets, I do not come from duty shuckers. A lifetime commitment is a lifetime commitment.

ETA: When I was born, we had a spider monkey & a mean tomcat, both adored the baby me. The cat was a fighter, but offered no resistance to me cuddling with him & he would even allow me to push him around in a doll carriage. Don't underestimate your pets!

It's hard to believe so many would give their pets away due to a baby joining the family. We have 2 chihuahuas and a cat ... we had to teach the dogs AND our child to respect one another if the situation arose. We have had no serious issues with our child and our pets.

I hear that kids that grow up around pets have a lesser chance at asthma also.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A little :eek:fftopic:

Well, I have a baby who just moved in--she's a small hunting dog of some kind, one year old. Her name is Goldie.

She loves to ride in the car, she's well mannered, and everyone who has met her loves her. But she's able to climb over the small section of chain link fence in the yard and she's having some separation anxiety problems we're working on. I actually decided to take her back to the shelter until my neighbor convinced me to get some 6' picket fence sections. Some trainers I talked to said to get her used to being left alone in a small room for a time and then reward her. (I'm using my bedroom for this.)

So, I'm keeping this adorable dog on a trial basis. :)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I adopted my little doggie ( 5 pound maltese) from a lady who had two children and was dumping her pup after 9 years! I can't understand people like this! When you get an animal, it is a serious commitment.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ah, yes, the trial basis. So far I've gotten my trial dog a bed, a comb, a rabies shot, blood test for general health, heartworm medicine, and a microchip. I also have a, uh, little package to give to the vet. Serious commitment, indeed.

Did I mention that the dog is adorable? :D

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Warden said:
I hate to admit it, but my dogs no longer get the attention they used to get before our children came along.

My dogs no longer get as much attention from my wife and I, but my son more than makes up for the lack. I think the dogs believe we got the baby for them.:)

leaette

A-List Customer
We had our first baby in May. We have 2 dogs at home. Our dogs were our kids. Now, they are less "kids" and more "dogs". But, we still play with them, and pet them every day. They get a decent amount of my attention.
They are FANTASTIC with our son. Very protective of him and they love to kiss his feet and hands (our son is just now starting to really suck his thumb so we have to make sure he always has un-licked hands!).
But I can tell you that since we brought baby home, I am noticing the fur on the carpet more, the paw prints on the kitchen floor, etc. I guess when baby starts crawling, it will bother me even more. We clean almost every day and it still bothers me. I guess it's just a mother/instinct kinda thing to where I want to keep my house as best as possible for my baby. and having dogs...well....having a clean house is a BIG chore!
but I would NEVER give them away unless baby was allergic or they became aggressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe