Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

DesertDan

One Too Many
Tacos!
Seasoned gound beef, refried beans, lettuce, tomatos, onions, black olives, jalapenos, sour creme and shredded cheese, topped with salsa.

I just pile it on my plate and use the tortilla to shovel it onto my fork! :D

Tacos!
Seasoned gound beef, refried beans, lettuce, tomatos, onions, black olives, jalapenos, sour creme and shredded cheese, topped with salsa.

I just pile it on my plate and use the tortilla to shovel it onto my fork! :D
That's what I'm talkin' about....... but who needs a fork? Just use the tortillas to shovel it straight into your mouth. They're like a fork you can eat. [emoji3]

Ms. Godfrey, once again it sounds good to me. Keep this up and 2jakes and I will be making a VA road trip. And I'm with him on the chocolate.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Ms. Godfrey, once again it sounds good to me. Keep this up and 2jakes and I will be making a VA road trip. And I'm with him on the chocolate.

It’s a minor detail...but you might need this ! :D

2rr1hz9.png

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Fried green tomatoes--I thought I'd had them, but when I thought about it, it was fried pickles. No matter; if it's fried, I'll probably eat it.

What's a field pea? I mean, are they still in the pod?

What's a field pea? I mean, are they still in the pod?

Field peas, also known as cowpeas, are any of the brown, usually dried variety of peas - as opposed to the tender green variety known as garden peas, or English peas here in the U.S.
I think the particular kind I had last night are called crowder peas. They're smaller and darker brown than chickpeas, but similar.
Black eyed peas are probably the most well known type of field peas (and my hands down favorite). They were originally grown as livestock feed, and were also grown extensively in the antebellum south as food for slaves. Eventually they found their way into mainstream cuisine down here.
And no, not still in the pod. Although occasionally very young peas are eaten fresh in the pod, snapped like green beans.

As for fried pickles, I've had them, but they're not really that popular around here. I think they are more prevalent up around the Carolinas.
But you're right - pretty much anything is good fried. [emoji3]

Even if it isn't particularly good for you. [emoji20]

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
We ended up having leftovers last night. Having chicken in gravy, cheesy polenta (sliced and fried), fresh green beans, biscuits tonight.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Black eyed peas and rice make Hoppin John a traditional southern dish. From the Mason Dixon line all the way down to Tierra Del Fuego you will find some kind of bean and rice dish. Red beans and rice in Louisiana, Moors and Christians in Cuba, pigeon peas in the Carribean and so forth.

Grain + beans makes a complete protein in the absence of meat.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Tonight:

Pan fried pork chops with onion gravy, homemade macaroni and cheese, fresh green beans (didn't have them last night), apple slices

Whipped orange jello with a dollop of whipped cream (*not* Cool Whip!) on top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82