Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Connery

One Too Many
What makes the pyramids any more significant than a pile of rocks................:rolleyes:

It was actually a serious question as Mike's is a dime a dozen deli in an area that is rife with "Mike" type delis. I was looking for a recommendation, thanks anyway.:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mike's is a dime a dozen deli in an area that is rife with "Mike" type delis. I was looking for a recommendation, thanks anyway.:)
Right, you know the area well enough to label Mike's a dime a dozen joint yet you are looking for recommendations. Have you ever even been to NYC, thanks anyway. ;)

Connery

One Too Many
Right, you know the area well enough to label Mike's a dime a dozen joint yet you are looking for recommendations. Have you ever even been to NYC, thanks anyway. ;)

I take my mother to the New York Botanical Gardens and the Bronx Zoo at least 3 maybe 4 times per year as she loves orchids and she spent her youth there. There is also a lesser known secret, there is a portico in Bronx Park East, then used as a bandstand, presumably built by the Lorrilard family (circa late 1800's) over looking what used to be a vast rose garden which is now the Bronx River Parkway which was built in the 1920's. My mother is older and loves to go to Morris Park to eat which is a pain as Arthur Avenue is closer, but, she insists Morris Park is better than Arthur Avenue. I wanted to have a recommendation, with reasoning, to persuade her. If I say something regarding the pyramids she will take like I am talking about her age and clock me. She also likes to go to City Island in the Bronx for seafood. She reveres the advice given at the Fedora Lounge so therein lies my request.:)

From the 2011 Holiday Train Show at the New York Botanical Gardens.

image.jpg

The William K. Vanderbilt mansion at the Holiday Train Show, which features replicas of more than 140 New York City landmarks-- made with tree bark, twigs, fruits, seeds, pine cones and other plant materials.

image-1.jpg

Models portray the Chrysler Building, Empire State Building and Radio City Music Hall.

image-2.jpg

More than a dozen model trains-- from late 1800s American steam engines to Thomas the Tank Engine and friends-- will snake through the sprawling display

As an aside, this is a great book written in collaboration with the Bronx Historical Society for reading while having a bite to eat.

63-5.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
So you labeled Mike's a dime a dozen joint without ever setting foot in the place? And you searched the web to find their sandwich menu but ignored the hundreds of reviews and dozens of videos on YouTube. I don't know what to say........

Connery

One Too Many
So you labeled Mike's a dime a dozen joint without ever setting foot in the place? And you searched the web to find their sandwich menu but ignored the hundreds of reviews and dozens of videos on YouTube. I don't know what to say........

I asked for your reasoning. I generally go by word of mouth references of those I trust rather than read some random review; who knows who is paying that person for their opinion or what may motivate some stranger to provide their rating.

I have found that The Fedora Lounge is a reliable source for many, many things. Indeed, you more than most have a sense of savoir faire in many instances and have a discriminating palate who would be a good source for such cuisine. If you found this an imposition please disregard my inquiry.:)

When I do go to The Bronx, "time is of the essence" as I travel to Riverdale to a bakery called "Mother's Bake Shop" as it was a owned by a German baker who made fabulous Rye bread; it has since changed hands, but, still great bread. Then I used to go to the Stella Dora factory, before it closed, on the way back to the Botanical gardens. Then an Italian bakery in the Pelham Parkway section for their cheese cake. It does not end there; I then travel to Zabars in Manhattan for a variety of cheeses.

Last edited:

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Fish and chips, covered with salt & vinegar, together with mushy peas!!

Yummmmmm!!

In the good old days, it was served from the Chippie in newspaper. I'm sure it had better flavour then (probably the newsprint ink had something to do with it!!)

:D

Dubya

One of the Regulars
You can keep the peas. I'll take the rest though. Make my vinegar malt vinegar. :p

:D Right you are then James!

But tell me. Would you call what I call chips, fries? And what I call crisps, I think you Yanks call chips?

Tomato, Potato.........Lets call the whole thing off!! :D:D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Last night was late dinner at a steakhouse after a big band concert downtown by the symphony - started off with shrimp remoulade and a crabcake. Then husband and I split a 24 oz. porterhouse (medium), with potatoes au gratin and fresh bread. Enjoyed with cocktails, and champagne at midnight.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm hitting a friend's annual fishfest . They've been stocking their pool with all sorts of catch for the last week or two. I'm bringing the rum.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun