Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats a nice/stylish looking kind of hat for a 21 year old?

dostacos

Practically Family
Doh! said:
Ironically, I'm seeing more and more "grandpas" wearing ballcaps! I guess they're trying to look young(er) but on more than one occasion I've been wearing a fedora and have come across an elderly guy wearing a ballcap. I'm tempted to ask, "Wanna switch?"

But yeah, I've seen plenty of younger guys wearing stingies. I'm not a fan of them myself, but they can look good on the right noggin.
trying to look younger:) :) I am 56 and drive a Scion xB I am so far out of their demographic they don't even admit they sold it to me:cheers1:

dostacos

Practically Family
dog20 said:
the chef is not me! lol
but that is the style, a stingy brim.

you might also look at some of the straw hats. they can be VERY expensive too, as the weave is tighter the price goes up.

The straw may be cooler in the humid summers. Oh and you probably will need to do the Harrison Ford stapler trick* when the wind picks up:D

*on the extras CD of the Indy movies there is a behind the scenes shot where his hat kept flying off. He put it on and then had a big stapler and popped it against the hat while wearing it. Pricelesslol

Cat In The Hat

New in Town
J.T.Marcus said:
A good starting point, for your first real hat, would be to ask this question, "Who do I want to feel like, when I put my hat on?" (Indiana Jones, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Depp...) Once you've answered that question, look for that style hat. Then , later, as this hobby becomes an addiction, you will feel free to experiment with other styles. :)

I understand what you're saying, but I would suggest that this guy go out and find a hat he likes and just wear it and be himself without trying to copy someone else's 'style'. I never wear anything to be like someone else. Who gives a ****?

Find what you like, and be yourself.

However, having said that, I find that younger guys tend to wear the stingy brims. Those are the hats with a 2" brim or shorter. You can probably find a decent Dobbs or Bailey brand hat for not too much money and it will look good. You can wear the brim up or snap it down.

You can also find straw hats with shorty brims that look 'cool' for the younger set.

But find what you like and let people identify the hat to you, not you to the hat.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Might I suggest starting out with an 8 pannel flat cap / cabbie. It would make a great transition from the ball cap to the fedora and doesn't get the Grandpa comments. Then once your friends are used to that, then you spring a fedora on them. Just a suggestion. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust