Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats a nice/stylish looking kind of hat for a 21 year old?

dog20

Familiar Face
i would like to try something else on. baseball caps are just so ordinary and common. in your opinion, what hat would look good on a young guy? i don't want people to call me grandpa.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
A good starting point, for your first real hat, would be to ask this question, "Who do I want to feel like, when I put my hat on?" (Indiana Jones, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Depp...) Once you've answered that question, look for that style hat. Then , later, as this hobby becomes an addiction, you will feel free to experiment with other styles. :)

mingoslim

Practically Family
Bing, Frank, Johnny . . . these are some uptown choices . . .

J.T.Marcus said:
A good starting point, for your first real hat, would be to ask this question, "Who do I want to feel like, when I put my hat on?" (Indiana Jones, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Depp...) Once you've answered that question, look for that style hat. Then , later, as this hobby becomes an addiction, you will feel free to experiment with other styles. :)

Except perhaps the imminent Doctor Jone.
Don't get me wrong . . . all bring up fine hat images for me . . .
But I find myself thinking of Woody Guthrie for myself . . .
Someone on the Mother Road, leaving behind the the dustbowl . . .
Something a CIO organizer would be wearing in 1939 . . .

Quality I want . . . which is why I own hats that cost more than any other part of my wardrobe. (Heck, some cost more than cars I have owned;) )

But the look of a workingman's hat can have its own sort of class.

Thus my favorites are the thin ribbons . . .
OR styles. . . or the Stratoliner . . .
The TVA works as well . . . One sweet hat . . .
(Someone should trademark the name.)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.T.Marcus said:
Great advice JT :eusa_clap

jeff

One of the Regulars
dog20 said:
i would like to try something else on. baseball caps are just so ordinary and common. in your opinion, what hat would look good on a young guy? i don't want people to call me grandpa.

If you're wearing a brown fedora, you're more likely to be called "Indy" than "Grandpa".

I'm 40, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but you might like the Akubra Cattleman.

I think it's a good informal hat, some Australian outback styling with a little bit of fedora mixed in, and is available in lots of different colors.

1613blk_detail.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
The young guys are wearing those hip, stingy-brim fedoras, like the rock singers. If you have the face for one, they would be the way to go.

And at least Johnny Depp is out there wearing the kinds of hats that would have once gotten you the "gramps" comment. If you have a heavier face, those might be the hats of choice.

If you wear most Australian hats, they look wonderful, but you will still get the Indiana Jones comments or be called a "cowboy."

You want to consider your face and head and what looks best on you and what you feel best wearing. To heck with the comments.

karol

dog20

Familiar Face
i got to find a hat shop. i only know of one.. i checked burlington coat factor or men's warehouse (i forgot which) and they didn't even sell hats!

is this the hat you guys are talking about?

Brian.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"Granpa" style

Today, very few grandsons dress as well as their grandfather did. ;)

RBH

Bartender
mingoslim said:
. . .
The TVA works as well . . . One sweet hat . . .
(Someone should trademark the name.)

I did.:D

As LEVII said confidence, it dont matter thin ribbon wide ribbon wide brim or stingy. If you have no confidence in what ever style you decide on, it will not work.
That said you may have to try a few styles to get your style,but above all else do not give up on wearing a fedora.
As the saying goes...Style never goes out of style!
Good luck in your search!!

Doh!

One Too Many
Ironically, I'm seeing more and more "grandpas" wearing ballcaps! I guess they're trying to look young(er) but on more than one occasion I've been wearing a fedora and have come across an elderly guy wearing a ballcap. I'm tempted to ask, "Wanna switch?"

But yeah, I've seen plenty of younger guys wearing stingies. I'm not a fan of them myself, but they can look good on the right noggin.

hatflick1

Practically Family
When at the age of twenty-two my son moved to San Francisco I gifted him with a vintage fedora from my collection. He sort of flinched at first, but wears it, largely with the brim turned up, when the bay wind is not whipping around the city. He also wears an Irish style flat cap he picked up at Goodwill. And an Native American design (theknittingtree.com) wool knit hat down over the ears when the temperatures drop.
That's what he dons at twenty-two. If you are in Florida, you may want to consider a couple of different styles and materials depending on your son's mood and the season. Personally, I think one hat might be a Hemingway Florida Keys style flat canvas cap with long bill.

and the season.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
A lot of "grandpas" have been wearing ballcaps for some years now.

My father would be 91 years old if he were still alive. He wore a fedora and also a newboy cap in his younger years. By the mid-50's, he only wore his fedora to church. By the early 60's, he wore exclusively ballcaps, wore them the rest of his life and had a large collection of them before he died.

Maybe someday in the near future, wearing a fedora will be stylish again and wearing a ballcaps will elicit remarks of "gramps."

karol

kschurch

Vendor
I started my hat fascination by inherting my Grandfathers worn Stetson Open Road. It's a great hat and I now have three of them, all in gray. It's a simple style to start with and I often wear it brim up in the front.

Also, the Stetson Sovereign is a hat similiar in shape to the Open Road. I like it quite a bit also. These hats are somewhat more traditional, but have a small ribbon and in gray don't look gangsterish.

Models can still be found on ebay but aren't as common as a few years ago. Do a search on this site and you will find many great pictures of them.

Whatever you choose, have fun and wear with confidence.

Good luck and welcome to the club,

Kevin

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know what style you are looking at, but all I have to say is Akubra. Check them out at www.hatsdirect.com You can probably find any style you are looking for in a hat that will last you ages.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust