Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What will come next to our society?

Edward

Bartender
It intrigues me that swearable tech hasn't taken off the way it was supposed to by now. Partly cost, but I also suspect that we're seeing here the influence of cultural factors that weren't really considered before - the rise of the privacy movement for one thing; also fear of crime (whether ill-founded or no). It's going to be hard to talk folks into wandering around in GoogleGlass when we're warned to keep our phones out of site because "thieves operate in this area" every time you step off the tube.... Google Glass and VR, though - those technologies will be fantastic once integrated into museums and galleries - the next logical evolutionary step on from the old audio-tour-on-tape approach (which I still find superb, especially where English language commentary is otherwise limited, such as several major tourist stops in Beijing).

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We had a few students try out Google glass. It was very poorly received, by the testers and their peers.

While younger people might wip out their phone to record everything, they actually don't like to be on your personal camera (potentially) every second they interact with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld