Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your first leather jacket?

Yango

One of the Regulars
When I was 16 I won $1000 on a scratch ticket someone gave me for my birthday. Spent most of it on a black Danier lamb leather (mall store) jacket.
Looked like this

https://ibb.co/KNxxP8T] [/url]
How did yours hold up?

I bought a similar jacket from Danier back in 2000, on sale for about $250 (marked down from $500).
They advertised that it came with a lifetime guarantee.

Within a year the zipper broke and the lining was full of holes. They accused me of abusing the jacket, and begrudgingly replaced the liner and zipper.

Less than a year later it was falling apart again (this time the lining in the pockets were like swiss cheese along with the liner). Same story big argument to get them to honour the guarantee, but they fixed it.

So, once again it steadily fell apart in fairly short order. And this was just from regular wear. I still wore it, and the holes in the liner got bigger and bigger, I sewed the holes in the pockets at least a dozen times, the pull on the zipper broke again, so I put a length of leather lace through the slider… and this continued for years.

Then at some point I stopped wearing it, tried to give it away and had no takers. I even considered throwing it in the clothing recycling bins… so it sat in my closet for a couple of years.

One day I happened to be in a biker’s clothing store, and met this kind older gentleman who told me that he made almost all the leather goods in the store. I told him about my jacket, and he told me to bring it to him.

He put in a new heavier quilted liner, replaced the zipper with a much better one, replaced the liners in the pockets with heavy durable material, and even replaced the leather side adjusters that I’d cut off… and all this for less than a hundred bucks.

That was about 16 years ago, and the jacket is still my go-to every winter! Still no holes in the liner!

Shout out to Screamin’ Eagle. Two thumbs up.

IMG_4203.jpeg
IMG_4205.jpeg
IMG_4204.jpeg

OldSchoolAndrew

New in Town
My first leather jacket was a suede A2 I got for my 12th Christmas back in the 90s.
The first one I bought myself was the Filson Leather Short Lined Cruiser. Had it for about 5 years and still love it. Pairs well with my walnut Stratoliner.

TelemarkTumalo

One of the Regulars
I remember it well. I was riding a Kawasaki GPZ750 in 1981. A good friend of mine had this cool as eff black leather jacket and gifted it to me as it was a bit small on him and he didn't ride. I loved that jacket and had it for 10+ years. Alas, got lost in a move across country. I cannot remember the brand, but it fit like a jacket should. It lasted me through three motorbikes, thousands of miles of riding, snow, rain and desert heat. I hope that whomever has it now, is still wearing it with a smile on their face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads