Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Another new Longmire, after having watched the two final Fear the Walking Dead episodes for the year, and that after having watched the Jays beat Boston to clinch the first wildcard spot and home filed for Tuesday's winner takes on Texas (and when T.O. gets there, won't Bautista get an ovation!!!).

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
I am looking forward, I think, to Westworld. Lately the wife and I have been watching Miss FIsher's Murder Mysteries. We're nearly through the first season, and very much enjoying it.

The pilot for HBO's revamped Westworld. I found it interesting enough to keep watching.
I watched it too. Better than I was expecting, but I'll need to see another episode or two before I decide whether or not to commit.

The one negative comment I can make is in regards to their use of the "F" word. I don't have a problem with that kind of language, but in the scene in which the three "creators" were arguing in the diagnostic room it felt forced, as if none of them had ever used the word before and weren't quite sure how to.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Trackdown episode from 1958 which introduced Steve McQueen as Josh Randall, the bounty hunter he went on to play in Wanted Dead or Alive. This first-draft Josh at first seems darker and more hardboiled than the character in the series; he wears a rather spiffy black hat and a mouton-collar jacket, in South Texas (!) -- though we're not told what time of year it is. And the famous cut-down lever-action rifle he calls his "mare's laig" is there, though no focus is put on it and he never uses it.

More important, Robert Culp's lead character, Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman, comes to like Josh, we're told and are shown. In previous episodes Hoby has seemed rather grim, but here we see flashes of humor that remind you of Culp's Kelly Robinson, ten years away, on I Spy.

I finished watching "Fleabag," the six part mini-series I mentioned earlier in this thread that follows the life a young, I guess, middle class / upper-middle class English woman dealing with a lot of life challenges as she tries to keep up the facade of fitting in and success.

All of today's usual disfunction are brought forward aggressively in this one - broken family, sexual disfunction, alcoholism, ugly interpersonal relationships and out-right nastiness to, well, everyone around you.

While overall well done, I was exhausted after each episode - life is plenty hard without all the added anger and crazy these people bring to their lives unnecessarily. Also, the only character I admired was the guinea pig.

Anyone else see this show?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I watched it too. Better than I was expecting, but I'll need to see another episode or two before I decide whether or not to commit.

The one negative comment I can make is in regards to their use of the "F" word. I don't have a problem with that kind of language, but in the scene in which the three "creators" were arguing in the diagnostic room it felt forced, as if none of them had ever used the word before and weren't quite sure how to.

I'm in the same boat my friend. I found the first episode fascinating. Spent a lot of time contrasting it to the original. In intrigued, there's more to this saga than meets the eye. I've always been fascinated by tales of sentience and when objects become creatures.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I finished watching "Fleabag," the six part mini-series I mentioned earlier in this thread that follows the life a young, I guess, middle class / upper-middle class English woman dealing with a lot of life challenges as she tries to keep up the facade of fitting in and success.

All of today's usual disfunction are brought forward aggressively in this one - broken family, sexual disfunction, alcoholism, ugly interpersonal relationships and out-right nastiness to, well, everyone around you.

While overall well done, I was exhausted after each episode - life is plenty hard without all the added anger and crazy these people bring to their lives unnecessarily. Also, the only character I admired was the guinea pig.

Anyone else see this show?

Never even heard of it till just now.... What network? When? Who's in it?

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Luke Cage - Hero for Hire" I completed the name. Minor superhero, Marvel's second black superhero behind T'Challa (aka The Black Panther". Grittier, meaner yet more philosophical than other's in Marvel's brood. And I love that the Marvel Universe is in THIS world. To see hero's walking the same street's I have, fighting in neighborhoods I know... just makes it more real to me.

Worf

Never even heard of it till just now.... What network? When? Who's in it?

Worf

Hi, it's from Amazon - I get it free with my Amazon Prime subscription: free shipping on almost everything we buy from Amazon for $99 a year, plus a bunch of free video content like this UK show. If you shop at Amazon regularly, like we do, it is insane value - it's how I watched "The Man in the High Castle" that you recommended to me.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Fleabag-Season-1/dp/B01J4SST1K

"Luke Cage - Hero for Hire" I completed the name. Minor superhero, Marvel's second black superhero behind T'Challa (aka The Black Panther". Grittier, meaner yet more philosophical than other's in Marvel's brood. And I love that the Marvel Universe is in THIS world. To see hero's walking the same street's I have, fighting in neighborhoods I know... just makes it more real to me.

Worf
Collected most of it as a youngster. I always found him to be a very interesting character. Looking forward to the series. Tell me it is good.
:D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also checked out the pilot episode of Timeless. Its regular-characters-visit-famous-events-in-the-past-every-week approach reminds me of Time Tunnel... but without all the stock footage from old Twentieth Century Fox period films that Time Tunnel was built around.

It's not great out of the box, but promising, with okay production values and a good cast. I've been a fan of Abigail Spencer since her days as Sally's teacher in the early seasons of Mad Men, and she's a very solid lead. They could have thought the plotting through a bit more carefully - a familiar issue with time-travel stories - but the butterfly effect changes to the present at the end included a devastating, emotional surprise that Spencer sold beautifully.

Ironically, I watched this right after the season premiere of The Flash, which was also largely about unexpected timeline changes. The Flash is one of the more successful superhero shows because it unashamedly has so much heart... but none of the heartbreaking timeline differences in this episode hit me nearly as hard as the end of Timeless did.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Westworld. I haven't watched it yet. I would normally consider this series to be sacrosanct, but I'm bona fide excited about it...so much so that I couldn't watch it because of too much anticipation. Made a really big impact on me as a child. I was way into both cowboys and Native Americans, and on any given day, I was in character as one or the other. That movie was possibly the first to give me nightmares and really spark my imagination. Not good for the parents, but surprisingly good for my mind. Maybe over the weekend, before episode 2.

Halt and Catch Fire. A decent episode. Next week the season finale. It got a little too preachy. I can deal with preachy, but it can't be dead-on. It's one thing to beat on someone, but it is quite another to brain them.

The Strain. They really, REALLY want some of these relationships to continue, even though the characters don't have a lot of good reason for them to work. so-so, not one of the better ones.

Indian Summers. Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't consider this a love story. It is, and I'm fine with it because it is very well done. I wish every episode was two hours. *just read that it wasn't renewed for a 3rd season. Only 6 more episodes to enjoy. Bummed.

Poldark. Wholesome. Are the books this chaste in thought? I know them to be worded beautifully, but are the characters this simple?

Last edited:
...Indian Summers. Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't consider this a love story. It is, and I'm fine with it because it is very well done. I wish every episode was two hours. *just read that it wasn't renewed for a 3rd season. Only 6 more episodes to enjoy. Bummed....

Agreed, a very big part of it - and the driving passion - is the love story / triangle (or it was a triangle until recently).

The show is visually gorgeous, but uneven in its writing and, sometimes, unnecessarily convoluted in its story telling. However when it's working, it is very good.

And the last few episodes have been a marked improvement. Very sorry to hear it is ending, it certainly earned a third season IMHO.

Do you happen to know when "Homefires" is coming back - it was shown back to back with "Indian Summers" last year?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The Jays beating the Orioles in very exciting fashion! Great pitchers' duel, another walk off homer for the Jays' history, and another jerk fan throwing something on the field (though it was a can of Bud Light, so I can sort of understand...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82