Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Edward

Bartender
Goodnight Sweetheart

I'm sure it's a bit of old hat for the UK Loungers but I was just watching it tonight. If ever there was a show created for Loungers it would no doubt be this one. For the benefit of American Loungers, in Goodnight Sweetheart, TV repairman Gary Sparrow accidentally discovers a time portal which transports him back to the wartime London of 1940. Throughout the whole series Gary leads a double life as he goes back and forth between his modern life in the 1990s and the 1940s which he exploits to the max. In his modern life he eventually opens an antique shop called Blitz and Pieces where he sells as "rare memorabilia," items he's brought back from the '40s.

[video=youtube;fh9p_oIp5Sg&NR=1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9p_oIp5Sg&NR=1[/video]

That show still screens occasionally in the UK on ITV 3 or 4. Rarely laugh-ou-loud funny, but always entertaining, and for the most part they did period detail very well. In fact, the one screaming anachronism I noticed was Reg, the PC, writing with his left hand. A man of Reg's age during WW2 would have had it beaten into him in school in the early 1900s to write with his right hand (indeed, starting school at five in 1979, I was among the first generation of kids not discouraged to follow my own nature and be lefty. My paternal grandfather wrote equally well with both hands, but always lifted a pen with his right first out of habit, having spent the 20s at school having it literally beaten into him so to do). The one thing that they never addressed was how Gary could take credit for the Beatles' work in the early 40s, yet this didn't seem to have any impact in the present day. I suppose that could be explained away by some hooey about timelines.... But hey, it never spoiled my enjoyment of the show.

I caught a couple of episodes of Game of Thrones while in the US last week: great fun. Like Dynasty as reimagined by Tolkien.

Another anachronism is where Phoebe says her husband is in Tunisia. In 1940 he may well have been in North Africa but he would have been in Egypt with the Western Desert Force. The Allied armies wouldn't be in Tunisia until late 1942 early 1943.

And it's Eric, not Reg, who is writing left-handed. But apart from that I'd say that your observation is correct.

Last edited:

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Got up early this morning to watch Sea Hunt; I like that one for some reason. Also saw an episode of Highway Patrol and The Outer Limits.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I don't have TV. However, I have lots of old TV shows on dvd. I just watched yet another episode of 'Thriller' from the 60s.

Gregg, which episode did you just watch? Fancy meeting another fan here.
X
BD

DNO

One Too Many
I watched the season finale of The Killing on AMC Sunday night. What a let down. I won't waste my time on season two.

Absolutely agree. The show had such great potential...just like AMC's "Rubicon". Excellent acting , great atmosphere...all for naught thanks to strangely inept writing. It was almost like they had no idea how to actually end either series.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've been watching them in order.
I'm on episode 25 tonight, Trio for Terror.
Highway Patrol is great, but I was introduced to State Trooper on DVD (inlaws have it). Similar to HP, but set mainly in the West. It starred Rod Cameron.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Season 1 of The Big C. I really, really like this show. The affairs in the middle of the season were kind of lame, so Im glad they got rid of them, but Laura Linney is fantastic.

LD

Watching From the Earth To the Moon- brilliant, somewhat forgotten HBO series
Truly underrated, as was A&E's Moonshot--together they give a better picture of things than either alone, like illustrating how all the astronauts ever really had to count on was themselves. (I believe this explains Aldrin's "cashing in" by flying memorabilia to distribute later, Armstrong was guaranteed a plush retirement as first to moonwalk but the NASA retirement plan was gonna suck for all the rest, and I think some of his issues with the others are jealousy at his foresight.)

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
True Blood's new season eps 1 and 2. Enjoyed the 1982 flashback, good job on the Seditionairies Viva Le Rock t shirt. Someone on the staff knows their early 80s punk.

Last edited:
Watching right now!

GEDC1016.jpg

[video=youtube;or-ZGtg3BPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or-ZGtg3BPM[/video]

The whole place is like that. Miss the 50's/60's/70's, come visit! lol

You're right, felt like I was in a Time Warp.

DVD today, I watch it on RFD, with my family. I don't have that channel here. My satellite bill's pricey enough! RFD TV also has the Porter Wagoner Show, the Jimmy Sturr Show, and some other great country/polka programs.
Dvd Tom, or the RFD Channel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82