Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Dawns Here Are Quiet (1972) Russian war film about a group of female anti-aircraft gunners, led by an old sergeant, sent to hunt down a German patrol.

A splendid film, it was recently remade in the Tamil language in India about a forest guard who recruits some young female students to hunt down mercenaries sent to destroy India's space research.

"Craig's Wife" starring Rosalind Russell and John Boles (you'd recognize him, but might not - like me - know his name). They play a wealthy married couple where she is a dominating control nut who cares so much about appearances and "her home" that she turns away all of his old friends and any potential new friends. For most of the story, she hides this from her husband, until a series of events makes this impossible and the movie climaxes when he realizes how controlling and cold she is - I'll leave the outcome unmentioned in case you want to see it.

The movie is okay. It moves along at a good pace, the subplots - one good one involves the servants in the house - and twists keep you basically engaged and the acting is first rate. It is jarring at first to see Rosalind Russell playing a harridan character, but she pulls it off even if the whole time you keep thinking that the role was written for Joan Crawford (who, coincidently, played a similar character in "Harriet Craig" over a decade later). And John Boles is a pleasant surprise. I was used to him more in supporting roles, but he did an excellent job here convincingly being oblivious to his wife's true character, showing a general bonhomie and, then, when reality hits, he handles it in a manner consistent with his character. I will now look for him in other movies.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I remember when that came out.
I remember not being allowed to watch it on NBC 2 years later, because Vanessa drove a van and she was a prostitute. :D
Like NBC would have shown something....
Apparently one of the 2 Corvettes is still around, and was sold awhile back to a private collector.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe