Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
On Saturday night, The Lego Movie. It was really funny, with lots of laugh-out-loud scenes. Folks who brought their young kids must have been surprised at the wacky humor, most of which probably went over the heads of the kids.

...and then The Croods, off of Netflix.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"42"

While beautifully filmed and the story is inspiring, at the margin, the feel for me was a bit too Disney-a-fied (and I know it isn't a Disney movie). Yes, there were some real and powerful moments that showed the ugly abuse Jackie Robinson faced and the strain he felt and there were some nuanced moments where some people seemed to question their existing prejudices and show some personal growth: overall, there were a few too many good versus evil / right versus wrong moments that seemed to over-simplify the story.

That said, still beautiful to watch and even in this version, the power of what happened and Jackie Robinson's dignity came through.

I agree wholeheartedly... There's a long thread here on the movie that goes into great detail about the films many shortcomings. It was a "good" movie that could've been a great movie if they'd had a bit more courage... along the lines of "12 Years a Slave".

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Cockney's vs. Zombies" - As mindless as the Zombies they splattered for an hour and half. "Attack the Block" was superior in every way though the antagonists were from outer space.

Worf

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982). An interesting experiment, but the vintage film clips feel like they were forced into the story with a crowbar and a sledgehammer; it might have been better if Reiner and Martin had just attempted a straight noir parody without that gimmick. Then again, considering some of the dialogue and sight gags, probably not.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I like that flick a lot - I first saw it in theaters when it was new - but there's no getting around it being a one-joke idea that can't really sustain a feature-length film. It's well done and occasionally hilarious, but it eventually becomes repetitive and just too silly.

CLEANING WOMAN?!?!?!?!?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982). An interesting experiment, but the vintage film clips feel like they were forced into the story with a crowbar and a sledgehammer; it might have been better if Reiner and Martin had just attempted a straight noir parody without that gimmick. Then again, considering some of the dialogue and sight gags, probably not.

I just watched it myself for the very first time. I expected more but was mildly entertained. I completely agree about the shoe horning of the vintage clips. I believe, like you, that a straight out parody would've been better. Mel Brooks would've nailed this one. Still, I've paid more and seen worse.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82