Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
The Shawshank Redemption- I had put off on watching this movie forever and a day, because I had heard and encountered its cult following, and that always makes me wary, and more prone to stay away. Well, my curiousity finally got the best of me, and I must say, I'm pleased it did. While I don't think it's the "BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!", it is very worthwhile, and the end is so, so satisfying in particular. It's a very difficult, painful movie to watch so that makes the conclusion that much more satisfying. I simply loved Tim Robbins' subdued approach, and Morgan Freeman once again proves that he is a king amongst men.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday I watched two movies -- ABOVE SUSPICION, a 1943 WWII spy thriller with Fred MacMurray and Joan Crawford (not to mention Conrad Veidt and Basil Rathbone) that was very entertaining, and THE CROWD ROARS, a 1932 Cagney vehicle that also features Ann Dvorak, the divine Joan Blondell, Eric Linden, and Frank McHugh. Howard Hawks directed.

Cagney plays a temperamental (surprise, surprise) race car driver who's trying to keep his naive younger brother (Linden) out of the racing game and away from the streetwise Blondell (good luck with that).

Like most early thirties Warner Brothers efforts, it was lots of fun. And to tie in the topic of this board, I'll mention that I liked Cagney's hat(s) in the picture, but the crown seemed to be a mile high (I've noticed this before in early Cagney movies). I wonder if that was his preference, or if maybe they were trying to give the diminutive actor a bit more stature.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"The Kid From Spain" (1932) -- one of the best of the Eddie Cantor/Samuel Goldwyn/Busby Berkeley extravaganzas. And it's a great shame that Lyda Roberti is not better remembered today -- she had the misfortune of being the '30s-platinum-blonde-who-died-terribly-young-and-wasn't-Jean-Harlow, I guess.

zaika

One Too Many
Dick Tracy.
i remember liking it when it was first out, but watching it again...i loved the style of the movie, but the movie itself...eh. [huh] i couldn't tell if it was supposed to be set during the Depression or during the fourties. i'm no expert, but some of the clothing looked like it was more or less from the fourties.
anyway.

Edward

Bartender
zaika said:
Dick Tracy.
i remember liking it when it was first out, but watching it again...i loved the style of the movie, but the movie itself...eh. [huh] i couldn't tell if it was supposed to be set during the Depression or during the fourties. i'm no expert, but some of the clothing looked like it was more or less from the fourties.
anyway.

Hanky Panky, which came out around tht time at least (I think it was used in the film somehow?) was one of the few Madonna songs I ever cared for. lol I'd like to see that film again, actually - I saw it on TV years ago and was distinctly unimpressed. As I recall, I felt that while they had replicated the look of the old comic book stuff very well, it didn't quite work in live action. I'd like to see something done with it now in a more realistic vein in much teh same was as Batman Begins or the X-Men films for that matter redesigned much in order to create something that looked good and fit the vibe, rather than trying to reproduce something that didn't work so well in the medium.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Brilliant fil-um. I was completely blown away by Russell Crowe in particular. Very well cast.

I saw There Will Be Blood (stunning) and Juno, which was not as great as I was expecting. [huh] Fun, though! I watched Kiss, Kiss Bang, Bang! the other night too--I love that movie. Kilmer should do more comedies. He's brilliant at them, despite the way his head is growing unnaturally large. I love him anyway. lol

zaika

One Too Many
Edward said:
Hanky Panky, which came out around tht time at least (I think it was used in the film somehow?) was one of the few Madonna songs I ever cared for. lol I'd like to see that film again, actually - I saw it on TV years ago and was distinctly unimpressed. As I recall, I felt that while they had replicated the look of the old comic book stuff very well, it didn't quite work in live action. I'd like to see something done with it now in a more realistic vein in much teh same was as Batman Begins or the X-Men films for that matter redesigned much in order to create something that looked good and fit the vibe, rather than trying to reproduce something that didn't work so well in the medium.

i think you have something there. i love dick tracy...it would be fantastic to see it taken just a wee bit more seriously. i wonder who would be a good dick tracy these days?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
'Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006)---It may have been one-sided, but it sure did make the Detroit automakers look evil.

I saw that too. Can you believe they 'neutered' the car!

And I was looking back through this thread and you asked what I thought of 'The Bridge' (sorry I missed that post).

I thought it was a bit surreal that these people staked out the bridge and actually caught as many people jumping on film as they did.

There were some new and amazing shots of the Golden Gate, and the testimonials of the people were good.

But all in all I dont know what to make of it, anymore that it being a record for what happened that year on the Gate. And the bridge stood like a gateway, forever holding all these secrets.

It was an experience.

LD

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Spielberg's '1941' was on early this morning. I haven't seen that in a long time. There's some big names in it. One of the funniest pieces of trivia about it was that (credit IMDb) the extras cast as the Japanese crewmen on board the submarine were hired because they were Asian--none of them had any acting training at all, and most of them were typical laid-back Southern Californians. (Sub commander) Toshir?¥ Mifune was so outraged at their attitudes that he asked Steven Spielberg if he, rather than Spielberg, could deal with them. He then started yelling at them to get in line and even slapped one of them, saying, "This is how Japanese men are trained!" From that point on, the men were well disciplined by Mifune. lol

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Last night I took in Otto Preminger's BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING, with the movie's male lead Keir Dullea making an appearance. Sheesh, is that guy aging well!

The movie's very interesting -- for about 4/5ths of its running time, it's an odd sort of mystery, one in which you really have no idea what's what. Is the protagonist, a young American woman (Carole Lynley) just arrived in London, telling the truth when she says her child is missing? Does she even have a child? And what's up with her relationship with her older brother (played by Dullea)?

But then those early questions are quickly answered, and the final 20-25 minutes are filled with edge-of-the-seat tension as we watch the innocent character (not saying who it is, for those who haven't seen it) try avoid being terrorized by the deranged one.

Here's a not-so-great photo of Mr. Dullea I took with my iPhone:

keird.jpg

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
zaika said:
Dick Tracy.
anyway.

"You're dirty, Lips. you need a bath."
Pacino was great...

GhostBusters...if there's somethin' strange, in the neighborhood, who you gonna call?

zaika

One Too Many
SamMarlowPI said:
"You're dirty, Lips. you need a bath."
Pacino was great...

GhostBusters...if there's somethin' strange, in the neighborhood, who you gonna call?

oh yeah, pacino really was entertaining in that!
wow...i haven't seen ghostbusters in YEARS. hmmm...i should fix that. lol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Ghostbusters is one of my favorites--I don't know how many times I've seen it and it still makes me laugh (particularly the first time Murray comes to Weaver's apartment). The casting is so good--William Atherton and Annie Potts as well as the leads. I so wish Bill Murray made more movies. (I had such a crush on Egon in high school too).

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
"i'm going to go to her apartment and check her out...go and check her apartment out"...:eusa_doh:
soooo funny...ive read that Murrays lines were mainly he improvising...

i always thought they needed to do a Dick Tracy in black and white(The Good German style) and make it more noir-ish like Maltese Falcon with a tad bit of comedy...but i love one they did make...classic...

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Ghost Busters Rocks!!

One of my favorite lines we use in the department is:

"You know Egon.. I'm gonna take back some of the things I said about you..."

Then taking out a candy bar.

"Here... (pausing for dramatic effect) You...You really deserve this...

Another line we use when crap really hit the fan and we have to pass the word to our partners is: " Tell him about the twinkie!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe