Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
TCM showed the perennial favorite "A Christmas Story" again last night. I've loved this movie since it first came out, but have avoided it the last few years just because I had OD'ed on it a little.
I was totally ready for it last night and enjoyed the heck out of it. I think it and Woody Allen's Radio Days probably are the best modern efforts to capture the Golden Era that I know of. Every little background in A Christmas Story is something to ogle and go gaga over.
I did spot one "discrepency" that I hadn't noticed before. When the kid gets his tongue stuck on the flag pole, and the Fire Dept shows up, the vehicle they're driving is a 1947 or 48 Chevy of some type. The story is set around 1939 or 40, so that sort of jumped out at me. I know, picky picky.

Heather

Practically Family
TCM showed the perennial favorite "A Christmas Story" again last night. I've loved this movie since it first came out, but have avoided it the last few years just because I had OD'ed on it a little.
I was totally ready for it last night and enjoyed the heck out of it. I think it and Woody Allen's Radio Days probably are the best modern efforts to capture the Golden Era that I know of. Every little background in A Christmas Story is something to ogle and go gaga over.
I did spot one "discrepency" that I hadn't noticed before. When the kid gets his tongue stuck on the flag pole, and the Fire Dept shows up, the vehicle they're driving is a 1947 or 48 Chevy of some type. The story is set around 1939 or 40, so that sort of jumped out at me. I know, picky picky.

Oh, I can't wait to watch that this year! Its a long-time favorite of my husband and I. Its not the christmas season without it! And definitely ogle worthy! ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The wonderful thing about "Christmas Story" is that they did it on a ten-cent budget -- without skimping a nickel on details. Mom's hair has occasioned comment now and again, but if you look thru the Everyday Women of the Golden Era thread, you'll see that kind of frizz wasn't entirely unknown.

Jean Shepherd himself would have been ten years older than the Ralphie of the film, so if it had been authentic to his own childhood it would have been set in 1929-30, but apparently the studio felt the later period would be more accessible to the audience, and likely easier to recreate without spending too much money.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
re: A Christmas Story. Every single person in that movie is wonderful, but really Peter Billingsley is uncannily great, and God bless Darren McGavin. Krffllmungl thrbblmimmffrr bgugger to you, wherever you are, good sir.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Cadillac Records

A 2008 flick supposedly about the Chess Records family of musicians which were a very large part of what shaped/influenced what music would turn into.
That is, rock and roll and electric blues from the likes of Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf, Willy Dixon, Etta James, and Bo Diddley.

Where do we begin?
The movie contains almost no factual stuff. Adrian Brody plays Leonard Chess in spite of not looking anything like Leonard Chess and having a full head of hair. It begins in the late 40's and ends around the early 70's.
Beyonce' plays Etta James. Her part in this movie was really annoying and distracting from the overall flick which had little to offer. She basically takes over the second half of the movie with some needless dramatic love angle.
The relationships between all the characters is mostly fictional.
I'm sure the intent of the movie is less of a bio-pic, and more about Beyonce' Knowles. Which is why when the credits rolled I wanted to punch the screen.

My friends insisted I watch this movie back about six months ago. Claiming "You'll love it" They were wrong. All I enjoyed was the clothes and the cars, and little else.

Cadillac Records

A 2008 flick supposedly about the Chess Records family of musicians which were a very large part of what shaped/influenced what music would turn into.
That is, rock and roll and electric blues from the likes of Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf, Willy Dixon, Etta James, and Bo Diddley.

Where do we begin?
The movie contains almost no factual stuff. Adrian Brody plays Leonard Chess in spite of not looking anything like Leonard Chess and having a full head of hair. It begins in the late 40's and ends around the early 70's.
Beyonce' plays Etta James. Her part in this movie was really annoying and distracting from the overall flick which had little to offer. She basically takes over the second half of the movie with some needless dramatic love angle.
The relationships between all the characters is mostly fictional.
I'm sure the intent of the movie is less of a bio-pic, and more about Beyonce' Knowles. Which is why when the credits rolled I wanted to punch the screen.

My favorite Christmas movie. They did a nice job, but I know EXACTLY the car you're talking about. I complained of the same thing.

They did a good job at keeping most things historically accurate, though.

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
"To the Shores of Tripoli" with John Payne, Maureen O'Hara and Randolph Scott. 1942. In technicolor, so it's a great film to watch if you're like me and are fashion-challenged. There are color matches I wouldn't expect or try unless I saw it done (well).

I love TCM!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I posted on the"'30 glamour" thread..
I marked Trouble in paradise as a "MUST see"

..so, I'm home.. it just got downloaded (DO NOT judge me, I said it once, I'll say it again: I swear, I'd buy it, if i had where to buy it)

WHY there is no smiley rubbing his hands with the greedy look on his face?! :mmph: I'd like to put that one right here.. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe