Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorites Widebrim.
I was at a dealership a few years ago, waiting on one of my cars to get a computer "reflashed" and this movie was on in the reception room. I was by myself, and thought "wait, I get paid to sit and watch this movie? Cool!" LOL

That's funny, Gregg.

That is one of my favorites. Both Kirk Douglas and William Bendix were great.

Kirk H.

Wm. Bendix is in it, too? I need to see that. I'm so glad that Kirk Douglas is still with us (he came to my school over a year ago to dedicate a new kindergarten playground!).

DesertDan

One Too Many
To Have And Have Not is one of my favorites. Bacall was stunningly beautiful.

Last movie I watched, Alien it is still a masterpiece.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome (1947), with Boris Karloff. It's interesting that after Morgan Conway played Tracy a couple of times, RKO-Radio recalled Byrd to the role (six years after he gave it up) because theater exhibitors complained that in the public's mind Byrd was Tracy. In his defense, although Conway wasn't as personable as Byrd, and neither did he physically resemble Tracy, he did have a certain gruffness that made him a bit more realistic. In this film, however, Byrd takes a back seat to Karloff (who plays one mean son-of-a-gun), and there are few stock characters (as compared to Dick Tracy Meets Cueball, for example). At least Tess Trueheart makes an appearance, via lovely Anne Gwynne. (Anne Jeffries, who also played Tess, is still acting in her late 80s, and has "aged" very gracefully.) The plot is somewhat interesting, though, with the idea of a "gas" bomb causing people to go into temporary suspended animation (therefore making it easy for the crooks to rob banks, etc.).

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Valley Of The Zombies.
Loved it, a very rare gem from what I've read, from Republic pictures.
Similar plot to many though, zombie gets hungry and needs blood.
Surprisingly good though.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
GOTTA DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyd_charisse_singing_in_the_rain.jpg

Singin' in the Rain - I can't say how many times I have watched this movie but you couldn't be anything but happy after watching it!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Valley Of The Zombies.
Loved it, a very rare gem from what I've read, from Republic pictures.
Similar plot to many though, zombie gets hungry and needs blood.
Surprisingly good though.

Valley of the Zombies (although it only contains one zombie) is pretty much maligned by horror critics, the fate of just about all horror films put out by Republic. Unlike the other Poverty Row studios, which featured some recognizable horror actors in their '40s horror films (Lugosi, Karloff, Zucco, Carradine, Atwill, Naish), Republic just about always cast non-genre actors in their films. Even if the plot was somewhat interesting (like in The Vampire's Ghost), the lack of a horror "star" (in the case of "Ghost", John Abbott) usually kept horror fans away.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
That sums it up.
But we enjoyed it.
I've found a few vampire movies for tomorrow's viewing.
One is from France, deemed an adult horror picture.
My wife said "ooo, put that one in the que."
Hmmmm
Tonight we'll watch Kansas City Confidential, the reviews seem good enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe