Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
In general I liked this, contrived as it was. It's classic Allen in that no one has any self-awareness or free will. Except Wilson, at the very end - I suppose Woody's getting soft. And when was the last time you saw a young, lovely female selling antiques? Especially 78s?!

Well, Gil Pender (Owen Wilson) did say that the French were "more evolved" than Americans, so maybe that evolution extends to antique dealers, too. ;)

Midnight In Paris is fantasy from top to bottom, like so many "Golden Age" movies we love around here.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I'm at home with a dose of the flu, but that's ok because TCM Australia had a Tod Browning festival today. Freaks, Mark of the Vampire, Miracles for Sale, Devil Doll and The Unknown. Freaks and The Unknown were the standouts, but Devil Doll was worth watching if only to see Lionel Barrymore in drag.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I hate to hear you're sick Lolly, but honestly from what you said you couldn't have picked a better day.
I tried a few from the 50's but they sucked after 10 minutes or so.
Crimes Against Joe, Ghoul (from 33 with Boris Karloff in it, we'll revist that one this weekend), and a few others that made such an impression on me I forgot them.
We're watching Die Monster Die with Karloff tonight, so far it's slow but the scenery is "Hammeresque" so we'll watch it.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Sirocco with Humphrey Bogart. It was pretty good, but then I'm biased towards pretty much anything with Bogart in it. Had several interruptions so I'll have to watch it again when I can devote my undivided attention to it.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The overlapping dialogue is flawless. Often imitated; never duplicated.....

So true - this was my first time seeing this movie (I know - what took me so long?!!!!) - it was so enjoyable - defintely one to watch numerous times.

Don't Look Now - Another first for me (having often caught snippets on shows like Top 100 Scary Moments etc.) and I loved it - I didn't find it frightening per se - more haunting and atmospheric.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I watched Valmont http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098575/ again, first time in over a decade probably. It was enjoyable, I'm a fan of both Colin Firth and Annette Benning (see her in the 30s period piece "Being Julia", a great film), but I remembered it being better than I found it. This is the lesser-known version of Les Liaisons Dangereuses, coming out within a few months of the better known (not necessarily better) Dangerous Liaisons with Glenn Close and John Malkovic.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Charlie Chan in the Secret Service (1944) with Benson Fong as number three son Tommy and the addition of daughter Iris. I think this is the first of the Monogram Charlies, and it's not so good. Additionally, I think it's the first with Mantan Moreland, and the humor concerning his character is definitely from another era.

There is one bizarre sequence, near the beginning of the movie, where Charlie leaves the Secret Service building. What's completely flipped out about it is that we are in the lobby, we see the elevator door open and Charlie step out, walk all the way across the lobby in a single shot, cut to another shot as he walks to a cab, gets in and drives off. There is no dialogue, it's only two shots lasting nearly an entire minute and a half, I know because I rewound it and timed the thing. All the while there's this bombastic, intense, driving music and Charlie's just ambling across a lobby.

Then there's the California flag flying in front of the Washington DC office of the Service.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Charlie Chan in the Secret Service (1944) with Benson Fong as number three son Tommy and the addition of daughter Iris. I think this is the first of the Monogram Charlies, and it's not so good. Additionally, I think it's the first with Mantan Moreland, and the humor concerning his character is definitely from another era.

There is one bizarre sequence, near the beginning of the movie, where Charlie leaves the Secret Service building. What's completely flipped out about it is that we are in the lobby, we see the elevator door open and Charlie step out, walk all the way across the lobby in a single shot, cut to another shot as he walks to a cab, gets in and drives off. There is no dialogue, it's only two shots lasting nearly an entire minute and a half, I know because I rewound it and timed the thing. All the while there's this bombastic, intense, driving music and Charlie's just ambling across a lobby.

Then there's the California flag flying in front of the Washington DC office of the Service.

I've never seen the ones with Iris, and I think you're right about that film being the first Monogram one. (That's an odd scene you describe with Chan, too. And a CA flag on a D.C. building??) Monogram initially did the Chans on a shoestring budget, although the last ones with Roland Winters after the war had more money pumped into them (as did the post-WWII Bowery Boys films).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Hubby and I rented a few of the Jesse Stone movies from the library. They're mysteries based on Robert Parker's novels. Tom Selleck plays the main character, Chief of Police, Jesse Stone. Really enjoyable. Of course, I've always loved Tom Selleck...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Laura. Well-worth the praise it receives, and Tierney was beautiful. Then I listened to the Lady Esther radio version of it, with Andrews, Tierney, and Webb; good (if short) adaptation.

This ties for my favorite movie of all-time. I don't know how many times I've watched Laura, but it never gets old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun