Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"Rabbit Hole," the recent drama with Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart, and Diane Wiest as NK's mother. It's not the sort of film I'd have sought out if Nicole weren't in it, but it's a good drama.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Wasn't that the one Lucas based Star Wars upon?

That's genius - I saw it in NYC back in 2004, a screening with Q&A with some of the cast. Really good fun.

Indeed, that is held to be so. The quarreling peasants are supposed to be the inspiration for C3PO and R2D2. The Mifune character is the basis, to a degree, for Han Solo, and the lost princess is, well, the lost princess of the Lucasverse.

And completely trivial, the alphanumeric name R2D2 is supposedly drawn from Lucas' visit to an editing room where a notation for "reel 2, edit 2" was observed and later morphed into the character's name.

Chas

One Too Many
Wasn't that the one Lucas based Star Wars upon?

Yes, it was. Kurosawa's films also influenced westerns - Clint Eastwood's characters in "A Few Dollars More" and "A Fistful of Dollars" are directly drawn from Mifune's character in "Yojimbo" and "Sanjuro". "A Fistful Of Dollars" is pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of "Yojimbo".

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
My Bill (1938) with Kay Francis. Absolutely darling movie with a great ending :)

hey rue, just had to thank you for the YT links you've been posting. Haven't watched a single recommendation yet ;) but I am currently working my way through The Glass Key with Alan Ladd & Veronica Lake after browsing through the playlist of one of the YT channels you have shared. Ran out of time on my commute, so I can watch the second half tomorrow night! :D

rue

hey rue, just had to thank you for the YT links you've been posting. Haven't watched a single recommendation yet ;) but I am currently working my way through The Glass Key with Alan Ladd & Veronica Lake after browsing through the playlist of one of the YT channels you have shared. Ran out of time on my commute, so I can watch the second half tomorrow night! :D

You're very welcome :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth