Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

lyburnum

Practically Family
I just watched Hitchcock's 'I confess', definitely my favourite film of his so far. Before that I was watching episodes from the BBC 'Quatermass Experiment'. Sadly though, there are only the first two episodes remaining of the six that were originally aired.

tvqvx8.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
I was flipping through the channels last night and I saw that double feature--wished I had TCM; two of my favorite movies. I did see Hannah and Her Sisters though, which I haven't watched in awhile. So many good lines in that one and NYC looks beautiful.

I also stayed up way too late and watched Mr. Skeffington with Bette Davis and Claude Rains.

Tonight TCM is showing the original Christmas Carol and Meet John Doe. There are many great films on TCM. I need to convert some of the stuff on TIVO to DVD soon.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
I also stayed up way too late and watched Mr. Skeffington with Bette Davis and Claude Rains.

Oh, I love Claude Rains in that film--the scene between him and his daughter kills me every time. He's one of my favorite actors.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
carter said:
Tonight TCM is showing the original Christmas Carol and Meet John Doe. There are many great films on TCM. I need to convert some of the stuff on TIVO to DVD soon.

love Christmas Carol... which original(lol), 1938 or 1951? i personally prefer Alastair Sim...and also love Albert Finney in the musical...

watched The Petrified Forest...dropped my jaw, again, at Leslie Howards performance. his lines and speeches were so...elegant. Bogies performance was a little rough but then again this was his break-thru...still awesome. i just have one question. anyone know the reason for Bogart to keep his arms bent at about a 45degree angle in this film?

carter

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
Oh, I love Claude Rains in that film--the scene between him and his daughter kills me every time. He's one of my favorite actors.

You must be referring to the scene in the restaurant.

Claude Rains made one silent film in the 20's but was mainly a stage actor and taught at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Then he made his first talkie when he was 44 and became one of Hollywood's finest character actors for two decades. He was a wonderful actor but never won an Academy Award.

Those two performances by Bette Davis are tours de force but my favorite has to be in Now Voyager. It's interesting that both films have children in problematic relationships with their parents. I wish modern films provided these depth-of-characterization roles rather than the twaddle being put out now.

love Christmas Carol... which original(), 1938 or 1951?

Mr. Marlowe, The original original. 1938 of course. Unfortunately, I didn't see much as company dropped by.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
My sister (not the world's biggest Dylan fan) saw I'm Not There and found it perplexing, self-indulgent, overlong, and just too weird. She essentially hated it.

I don't know what audience Haynes made this one for, besides himself. As much as I liked Far From Heaven, I'm definitely gonna wait for the DVD...

I like Bob Dylan reasonably well and I found the movie to be horribly slow. I do think that Cate Blanchett did well though.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I watched Sophia Coppola's 'Marie Antoinette' last night (again). I like her films. Some people were put off by the modern soundtrack. I wasn't. The costuming and hair were great.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of Kirsten Dunst, I showed my kids Interview With The Vampire last night. You know, it seems like a much better adaptation of the book now, as opposed to back when it was new.

And I liked Marie Antoinette too, though I think Lost In Translation is a far better film on nearly the same theme (young woman with loveless marriage in over her head in a foreign country).

pgoat

One Too Many
I'm home sick today; while waiting for my cocktail of cough syrup, ibuprofin and vicodin to take effect (can't believe I can still type three hours later - I am trying to stay awake as I wait for some gifts to arrive via UPS) I watched some cool oldies on TCM.

The Maltese Falcon - 1931. Some amazing suits and hats and although Bogie blows away the original actor in the Sam Spade role, the rest of the older version is quite good imo!
Certainly racier, too - pre-code, I guess.

The Huddle - I zoned in and out on this one due to my narcotic haze but Roman Navarro made some reference to his hat being made fun of (he had some sort of odd cattleman crease going on.....)

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

pgoat

One Too Many
ok, a little bit more awake now, second vicodin of the day is wearnng off (I think - my typing/spelling is even worse than usual.....)

As I posted in another thread recently I have been watching all our VHS and DVD movies in chronological order....kinda fun to try and put yourself in the moviegoers' shoes back in the day.

I am at 1964 currently and it has been interesting to consider the 'heroes' of Films like Dr. No, Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars and so forth. Not to mention the early rise of "action" films.......I think the now-typical James Bondian demolition of the Dr. Evil mad scientist genius super criminal character's multi-billion dollar island laboratory originated in Dr. No......were there any big kablooms onscreen before that?

I was also happy to read about Spencer Tracy on Wikipedia a few weeks ago (when I was back in the 1940s) that someone else observed as I did that Tracy's understated 'natural' acting style was way ahead of its time, more in tune with the Brandoesque method acting that would follow in the 50s than the trends of contemporaries all around him. Not that the modern method stuff was always an improvement but it is pretty cool to see him do his stuff.....kinda like listening to Thelonius Monk playing with Coleman Hawkins back in the 40s (before he was 'MONK')

ok typing this exhausted me.......back to bed.....this lounge is addictive!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
carter said:
Did you go? I'd love to see White Christmas on the silver screen. :D

No, I didn't know they were showing old movies at the old theater again until I drove by. I got really excited at the sight, for some reason. [huh] lol They closed that theater in the mid-1980s, and used it for plays and things like that.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Mr. Marlowe, The original original. 1938 of course. Unfortunately, I didn't see much as company dropped by.

most have never heard of the 1938 version...like my mother :eusa_doh:, who got me into old films...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Beneath the Planet of the Apes,
Escape from the Planet of the Apes and
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

Gee, I wonder which one is next :rolleyes:

LD

pgoat

One Too Many
Boris K said:
To Have and Have Not

Bacall was something in that one :)

indeed! That was an amazing suit she wore at the end of the film.....men and women alike had some great clothes in those old films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82